• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Why Kingdom Hearts?

Discussion in 'General Kingdom Hearts' started by Kitty, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Roxas

Roxas New Member

It all started back in 2004 when me and my sister were at a place called Gamecrazy looking for a fun game. I had picked out a game that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. (I remember playing it before and it has something to do with dressing your character and running around your neighborhood playing little games). Anyways, once I told my mom about the game I had picked out, my sister had come up and said she found one as well. It was a game that had Donald and Goofy on the cover along with a bunch of spikey-haired people (I must point out that I was about 5 years old when this happened, I didn't know what anime was). Instead of that no-name game, my mom bought the one with Donald and Goofy.

I didn't even know what the game was called, BTW.

I remember getting home and going straight to my PS2, which was of course sort of new and fat. I popped in the game and and prepared myself for it. I remember that the beginning game credits were as long as hell and I began to somewhat lose interest. And then some ballroom music started playing and I thought that this game was meant for girls. I then saw a spikey-haired kid (that honestly looked like a girl) was standing in what I thought were leaves. My sister took the controller (leaving me in a tantrum) and started to adjust the settings for a new game. I didn't know what any of the words meant, considering it was about audio format or something. She pressed OK or whatever and the screen went black. And with my premature mind, I thought that the game was over.

Then I heard a kid talking. Then I realized that the spikey-haired guy was a boy. All of it sounded unfamiliar and confusing. Then music started playing, and I was "breaking it down". My mom actually got the video camera and recorded me beebopin'. I eventually started paying attention to the CGI intro and wondered "WTF?". The whole falling from the water into the water confused me more than anything. Then when he landed on Snow White or whatever the hell he was on, I began to understand that this was a disney game. When the weapons came out from the pillar-thing, I began thinking to myself "SWORD! >". I took the sword and began killing those black monster guys. Eventually when I killed the big one that came from my shadow, I got tired and fell asleep.

About 3 hours later I walked in and saw my sister on her own game. At first I didn't think much of it, but then I was all "OH GOD, I DIDN'T SAVE". So, I just piggybacked on my sister's file until I figured out how to make a new game. My sister was already in freaking Wonderland, so I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do on that island. I then realized the game was called Kingdom Hearts, I learned the character's names, and then I thought "Wait...where the hell is Donald and Goofy?".

I remember it taking me about 2 days to figure out Destany Island. I practically ran around the place for a while until randomly inside the tree house I picked up a blanket. I was confused, but just ran around some more, finding more items. Eventually I talked to Kairi and called it a day. An then when the new cutscene came up of Disney Castle, I was all "Okay, THERE'S Donald and Goofy".

I think I pretty much gave up for a while when I was stuck in Traverse Town for about 7 hours.

I started playing again, and like everyone who started playing, I lost to Leon. I thought to myself "THAT STUPID NOOB", but then I realized that it was sort of intended for me to lose because I got to move on.

I played for months and got stuck on the Pegasus Cup. Yuffie wouldn't for the life of me allow me to whack her with my key and Leon killed me in one hit each time. So, I gave up on the game entirely after about 3 months of the Pegasus Cup.

Come 2005, KH2 came out and I got it for 50 bucks on the 3rd day. Since I was a LITTLE bit older, I got the hang of it pretty fast. I was sort of confused, because I wasn't playing as Sora. But I eventually did play as Sora and beat the game before I moved in 2006. Then funniest thing that happened during my KH history was the first time I fought Sephiroth. It started off all dramatic, and I thought to myself "I can kill this noob, no sweat". He made me eat thoe words when immediately he striked me with the reaction command, then stroke me in a combo, killing me. Me and my friend Christian looked at each other for about 5 minutes with the Home Alone face on but with a smile and a loud "WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA". Took me about a year to learn the trick to killing that bastard.

After I got into computers, I learned about Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and was completely blown away when I saw you got to fight literally EVERYONE. Even Roxas. I wanted that game so bad, and when a commercial on YouTube said it was releasing on a certain unknown date, I counted the days. But as embarressing and devastating as it is, the day I went to GameStop, they said "What are you talking about?". They searched it on their computer and broke the news to me. "Only available in Japan".

To this day, I STILL don't have KH2FM. I want it so badly, though. And now that I have the full English patch made by Xeenamo, I practically NEED it.

Other KH games are a whole different story that I don't want to type up right now. :/

2. shane kirkland

shane kirkland New Member

thats awesome i got into it because i loved final fantisy but i wanted somthing with a little more fantisy in it and i wanted somthing that wasnt turn based and hear i am in love with kingdom hearts

3. shane kirkland

shane kirkland New Member

i got into it thru loving final fantisy but wanting somthing that wasnt turn based

4. Light&dark

Light&dark Salute 2 dem hatas moffo!

Because its my kind of game and plus because of how hot sora,riku and roxas look

5. XNihiri

XNihiri New Member

Awesome topic, here is my story xD

I was in elemtary at the tine and KH1 was getting pretty popular but i thought it looked stupid as hell!
    Even my dad told me to buy Kingdom Hearts ( I still to this day have no idea why he did, he is is no gamer whatsoever o_O ).
    Anyway after a while i just decided to get it and well... I obviously fell in love ever since.

As for why i still like it to this day, part of it is probably cuz i kinda grew up with them, so they all feel very familiar. The gameplay was always perfect for me, this kind of third person action that can get very challenging is just pure brilliance ( to me atleast ).

Also, the story really moved me, really heart warming story, loved it so much.
    Characters are fabulous too, I don't feel childish laughing at Donald Duck when playing this game ^^
    Anyway i could go on forever about how much i love the series but this is for now,
    peace! xD

6. Fresh Sage

Fresh Sage Member

Well I was a little kid, forgot how old.

I went in GameStop with my brother saw kingdom hearts on the shelf and said "OH, This looks like fun 8D" and bought it. Thus forever being in love with the game.

7. DanielDragonflame

DanielDragonflame New Member

Disney and Final Fantasy chars. When I got obsessed, it was all about the Keyblades (plus Disney and Final Fantasy).

8. Joekyure

Joekyure New Member

Holy crap I said the same thing too!

Living with 2 sisters I was forced to watch Disney movies growing up it wasn't until then when my brother first got final fantasy on the nes is when I fell in love with the series.. Never would I have imagined that I would live to see the day that Disney and (backthen)Squaresoft would merge to create a video game..

Growing up with both of them and having a chance to play? For me it was a dream come true.. To top it all off.. The game was amazing!

9. Lychai

Lychai New Member

When I first played it, I rented it from blockbuster.
    I never returned the game :)

10. SoraKeyblade

SoraKeyblade New Member

I looked at ps2 games on youtube and kingdom hearts looked the best so i got it and played every day at least 4 hours in a row and now i already have 3 games of it because i only have ps2.

11. Razorhawkzor

Razorhawkzor New Member

I loved the Disney characters in it. At the time I had no idea what Final Fantasy was.

12. miscellaneous2711

miscellaneous2711 New Member

It all started when I was In 6th grade and my friend was telling me about this game. I did not have a ps2 at the Time and decided to try 358/2 days for my DS. Once I defeated the final boss (Xion) I probably shed some man tears. After that I decided to play more square titles and got more interested in computers and am now the programmer for my schools robotics team. Since playing that one game, I have discovered square enix's master plan...
    EveryOne must buy all gaming consoles ever I mean come on. I just got a 3DS but am so screwed when KH3 comes out on a newer console, plus Birth by Sleep was really hard for me to get a hold of. But It has been worth it and I'm a little upset that people gave up on the series to just play KH3 but those people will be so confused.

13. Bonechill

Bonechill New Member

Blockbuster.
    I rented it for a week, played it almost all that time, then decided that it was my favourite game series of all time.

14. Thundercake

Thundercake New Member

I started playing KH when one of my friends wanted me to play it.
    the gameplay interested me and it became my favorite since

15. FatewithFury

FatewithFury New Member

well 3 years ago my friend lent me the comic books to read cuz i love reading and stuff then i fell in love with the stories and instantly wanted the game but i ws broke so i went on with life not worrying about it and eventually forgot all about kingdom hearts! but then 2 years later my cousin Royal told me about thema and for my birthday bought me 358 2 days and i loved it so then i went and bought myself kh 1 and kh 2!!!

16. Consilum

Consilum New Member

I was in junior high when a friend of mine was making a keyblade out of clay. I asked him what a Keyblade was. He told me it was from a video game called Kingdom Hearts which he let me borrow, and that's how I got into it.

17. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

I saw the ad for 358/2 days and wanted it. I strangely played days first, then KH2, then finally KH1 haha. So yeah, I guess I'm relatively new compared to everyone else, having only been a fan for three years.

18. ImmaRikuOfficial

ImmaRikuOfficial New Member

I had played it one day and my brother had played it, The first game I played
    was Kingdom Hearts 2.

19. Nisra

Nisra New Member

My memory is a little fuzzy but I remember that my best friend was playing it on his DS and told me how cool it was ect ect. So when school finnished I instantly sprinted home and bought the game. Loved it, got re:coded. ect ect. :p

20. ImmaRikuOfficial

ImmaRikuOfficial New Member

Interesting, I'll probably try playing that game.