• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What Shows Have You Been Following?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Become, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Pretty self explanatory, but:
    • What are the TV shows you have been following lately?
    • What is your opinion of said shows?
    • Would you recommend any of these shows to anyone?
    My current list:
    • Gotham. I've been watching Gotham since it started airing in Fall of 2014. Save for some lapses during my brief few months living away from home (wherein I was sharing a boarding house with about 12 other people and had the worst WiFi on the planet), I've remained pretty much caught up with it for all of its seasons thus far.

However, I am, at this point, feeling like I'm really just watching it because I'm invest in the characters, particularly those of James Gordon, Selina Kyle, the Penguin, and Edward Nygma (soon to become The Riddler); the intro to the Mad Hatter was pretty cool too. The bulk of my issues with it are mostly that: A) I think it both got too deep too quickly and, B) Its shoved, what I feel, were way too many budding Batman villains too early. I really think that if they had contained the nucleus of Batman characters to the first four mentioned, it would have really worked out better for them; they DID choose to focus primarily on them. I'd also go out on a limb to say that they could probably pull back the chain on Bruce Wayne's development into Batman, mostly because the show seemed to have been marketed on the basis of being more about Jame Gordon's rise through the ranks of the GCPD.

Personally, I think it's worth watching, or at least giving it a chance; to each their own, and I try not to criticize people (too much) for what they watch for entertainment. I think it's best for people that are both into the Batman lore, and open-minded enough about it to not go about slamming the show for "not staying 100% true to the comics."
    • Beyond. This one started airing a few months ago on what used to be ABC Family (no known as "Free Form." Personally, I find it enjoyable to watch, although sometimes it feels like more of a guilty pleasure; it definitely follows the mold of most shows on that network in that it's your basic teen-drama-fantasy/scifi. I mostly started watching it because the premise of the show reminded me, somewhat, of an RP character I had once made, who I intended to have a very similar 'origin' to Beyond's primary protagonist; SPOILER ALERT: kid falls into coma, travels to a paranormal realm, wakes from coma with supernatural powers and abilities, and ends up being sought after by various people who are interested in what he can do.

I think it escalated pretty quickly though. Like, what seemed to be the main antagonist character that was hinted at through the majority of the first season made his big entrance within the last two-three episodes, and seemed to have been handily given the slip and offed by the end of the 1st season. But then, maybe there's something much larger at work that he was only the start of. At this point, I plan on tuning in to find out.

I guess it's worth the shot for most people to watch. Though I think if the above mentioned 'genre' (the whole teen-drama-fantasy/scifi spectrum) doesn't float your boat, you probably won't get too m any kicks out of it.
    • Criminal Minds. This is more so my "quality time with Mom" show. But, at this point, I'm far more invested in this season of Criminal Minds than I am in any other crime drama, and I'm certainly more invested in it than I've been in anything like it in the past.

It mostly has to do with the plot twist of a main protagonist (and FBI agent, no less) having managed to mess up badly enough to land himself in a federal prison. And given that it was the last one I think anyone would have expected to see in that predicament, it makes for something juicy to watch the development of.
    So, what are some of the shows the rest of you are currently invested in? What do you think of those shows right now? Would you say that they're generally recommendable?

Kitty likes this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Before the show went on hiatus around Christmas, I'd been watching This Is Us. I haven't mustered up the energy to turn it on since then though, and now I think I'm about 4 or 5 episodes behind. In my opinion, the show is a little melodramatic. Some of the characters and stories I really enjoy, but others are such turn offs I haven't kept up with the episodes. Great performances in particular by Milo Ventimiglia and Sterling K. Brown. If you don't mind shows that try to manipulate you into tears, it's a decent enough family drama. I'll probably end up finishing this season, at least. Apparently it's already been renewed for two or three more.

I've also been watching Bull. It's a show created by some of the same people who worked on House, MD (one of my all time favorite shows) and it has a very similar feel and episode structure, which I really like. It's about a jury consultant who helps attorneys come up with the best possible jury for their clients and tries to predict how the jury will vote based on psychology. It's supposedly based on the early career of that shyster Dr. Phil (who I think is detestable), but somehow I doubt the series is very true to life. The main character is in a lot of ways similar to House, but House shows more vulnerabilities than Bull has thus far, and is therefore more relatable and likable. Still, I think with more time to develop the characters, it will turn out really good. If someone were interested in courtroom dramas and also enjoyed House, I think they would probably like this.

The show I'm most invested in right now is Legion. It's on FX, but I catch it on Hulu. It's based on an X-Men character who is easily my favorite comic book character ever, and the show has a really cool style, with sort of a mix match of different time periods and a lot of interesting visuals and colors. Dan Stevens plays the lead, and despite not having David's hair of awesome:
    [​IMG]
    he's doing an amazing job. If you're a fan of Aubrey Plaza from her performance on Parks and Rec, she is completely different and so talented in this. People who like linear stories might not enjoy this show, because due to the nature of the character, David is an incredibly unreliable narrator, and it's difficult to know if what we are seeing is really happening or not. If you're offended by gore and nudity, you should also probably skip this. I guess Bryan Singer has said this show is canon in the X-Men movie universe, which is kinda cool. I'm therefore hoping to see one of two movie cameos in the show, depending on when this show is supposed to be set (I'm guessing the 90s, but, unreliable narrator and stylistic choices make it hard to pin down). Anyhow, I recommend this show.

---
    My mom watches (or used to watch, not sure) Gotham, which I always thought was odd because she mostly watches comic book related stuff because I love it so much and drag her to see it with me. It's one that I've always sort of meant to tune into but never got around to.

Thanks for the mention of Beyond. That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would be interested in. I'll have to check it out.

3. Kairi831

Kairi831 Active Member

As stated in a previous thread I made, I was keeping up on anything having to do with The Vampire Diaries. I always just seemed so obsessed with the show since it first aired. It definitely isn't like any other Vampire TV show or even movie I had watched. I've felt so many emotions watching this show. It is an amazing series. Anyone who ever asks for recommendations for this show, this is the first one I recommend. Plenty of amazing character developments. Strong female roles. As well as an amazing story line that branched off into many different sub story lines that made the show even more epic. They even have their own spin off, The Originals, which is based off of the Original Family. They made an appearance around Season 3, officially, I believe. If my memory serves right, Klaus and Elijah were the only characters introduced in Season 2. I as well, keep up on The Originals. The show so far, since I am only a couple episodes into Season , are really good. Now that I am not bombarded with keeping up on TVD due to the series finale, I might actually be able to binge watch the 3 previous seasons of TO before the season premiere this Friday. One can only hope.

So far, these are the only 2 shows I am actively keeping up on. I had others such as Gossip Girl, which was good at the time and am currently in Season 3, however the show is definitely extremely dramatic. I guess I lost interest with it being dramatic every 5 seconds. Supernatural was also a favorite. I believe I'm still in the beginning of Season 2. I haven't had much time to watch it with college and work along with keeping up on TVD, so I had pushed that aside. It made a great first impression so I definitely will revive this on my Netflix sometime soon.

4. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

The CW needs to do better. The Flash and Jane the Virgin are probably the best of anything the CW has produced.

Probably the best show of all times is NBC's "This is us" by far real plot and character development and most of all realistic and relatable. I haven't been watching it lately because it's emotionally investing so ...

5. Kitty

I have a hit-or-miss relationship with this show. Everything in the past with Jack, Rebecca, and the kids, and everything related to Randall, his family, and his bio dad I love. I suppose I relate to those stories a little more since I grew up in a household with three kids, and I'm also adopted, but also I just feel like those arcs are the best acted and most engaging. Adult!Kevin's story is sometimes good, sometimes not, but I can't stand Adult!Kate. I hate how her story (at least through the episode "Last Christmas", the last I saw) is constantly about her weight, yet it never seems like she's really trying to change anything. It's so annoying to me that I can't yet muster up the will to get back to watching. I don't much like Old!Rebecca, either. Maybe the show just doesn't write women to my liking. The only one I consistently like is Beth. *shrugs*

6. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I've watched a few episodes of Bull, now that I think of it. Haven't particularly gotten into it because whenever I watch it, it just feels like yet another court/law show; I can only take so many shows of one genre at a time.

Legion has piqued my interests lately, just from watching promotional material during commercial breaks. I'll probably add it onto my watch list after I've power-binged through a few other things.

I'd definitely say give Gotham a chance if you're into things relating to comic books. I think Fox still has the episodes up online for streaming; if you cared enough to binge here and there to get caught up on it, it comes back with new episodes near the end of April (the 24th, I think is when it returns). I've been rewatching seasons 1-2 on DVD over past month myself.

7. Kitty

Yeah, Bull is definitely formulaic. I don't mind it, but I can see why someone wouldn't be especially intrigued by it.

I think highly of Legion, but it really is a weird show. The first two episodes are probably the weirdest and most difficult to follow, so if you make it through those and are still interested, I think you would like the rest of it. It's kind of nice that it's only 8 episodes for this season (episode 6 airs this week), so there isn't room for those BS filler episodes you get in a lot of shows.

I'll definitely have to add Gotham to my watch list. It seems like I add more stuff than I cross off, but I might be able to get through it before the show starts back up. I think it's on Netflix.

8. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Stranger Things is also amazing. I'll be watching Season 2 when it comes out. It has that 80s vibe and I haven't seen a well acted cast of kids that did so good and isn't G rated like Disney Channel.

I've overlooked a few posts, so I'll back track.

Gotham, overall I really like Gotham. The lighting, style, and tone are just stunning. It sets the mood really quick. I feel some villains were done poorly such as Poison Ivy. Literally, turn a little girl into a young lady to utilize her power of sex. Like that isn't even necessary when this show predates Batman. Focusing on some of the gangs/mobs was a good touch since I knew a little about the comics.

I haven't been too involved into Kate's story, but I assume there will be actual development in her weight since the actress signed some agreement to lose weight according to Kate's development.

9. Kitty

I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who hasn't watched Stranger Things yet. Yet another show on my list that I feel like I'm never going to get around to. v_v
    ---
    With Kate, I'd actually heard the opposite, that the actress did not sign an agreement to lose weight. I'd be fine if the character never lost weight if she'd learn to be happy with herself, but her character doesn't seem to be developing much after the first few episodes. The fact that the character is "trying" to lose weight and isn't is making me exasperated with her, though. I've had some struggles with my weight off and on, though thankfully not to the level Kate has and not throughout my childhood, but in my experience, during the starting out phase, if you make a few changes in your diet and up your activity a little, it's not that hard to lose those first pounds. It's only once you get closer to your goal and start hitting that plateau that it gets really hard. So when Kate is claiming to work out and says she's depriving herself food-wise, and then she goes to her meetings and hasn't lost anything, it makes me really irritated with her. Like she's a liar. And if she had other aspects to her story, maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed, but everything in her story seems to revolve around the weight. I also super hate Toby. Like, I thought he was an okay guy in the first couple of episodes, but then he turned creepy.

Hopefully in the episodes I haven't bothered to watch yet, Kate gets more likable. The parts of the show I do like are really well done.