• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What is your opinion on "word of God" (Nomura quotes) or continuity?

Discussion in 'General Kingdom Hearts' started by Derek, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

A fun little discussion I thought up. I'm sure we've all seen, been in or dealt with the more hardcore/elitist side of the fandom. Those that treat Nomura's word like a bible.

We've likely also seen those that choose to ignore them and follow in-game stuff and I'm sure some middle grounds exist as well.

What's your take on all of that?

---Just to give example I'll state my opinion, you can just answer the question above and skip if you wish though---

My stance on it has been on multiple fronts. For a while I followed all the quotes and stuff after years of only partly jumping in on classic discussions of the day. (like "does Roxas have a heart?")
    However as time has gone by the more I knew and analyzed the more I hated what I saw. Fandoms seem confused on what "retcon" means and label more than there actually are however some do exist. Then there's writing issues like KH2's story or how BBS makes it's cast seem overly low in IQ all the for the sake of making Xehanort seem brilliant. (then there is cringe worthy moments like "you make the weirdest brothers herr herr")

Small things in the whole but they add up as you over analyze. I eventually ditched all of that and took a casuals approach because the story is still fun (in areas) in this manner. What really stopped my nature of following Nomura word for word was the appearance of contradictions that appeared later.

For instance Nomura has stated (infamously) that there is "no death" in Kingdom Hearts YET the Ansem report of KH2, number 4, said otherwise;

So not only does KH2 contradict his words and say that death exists but we've also seen in. Clayton, Barbosa, Mufasa, Shan Yu, Oogie Boogie, they all outright died.
    Yes yes you can work a headcanon into this but in the end that's a headcanon to explain a contradiction.

It doesn't stop there either you have earlier things like Nomura saying Roxas left the Org due to dreams of Sora but Days showed he left because of Xion.
    We were told Chi would just be a browser game but now it, Unchained and Back Cover are now story essentials.
    Or more recently an interview said time is "slower" in the Dark Realm but Aqua says in 0.2 that there is "no time" at all.

Then of course you have places like wikias or other fan sites passing off headcanons like "project shell" to explain what Sora was between KH1's end and Kh2's start while Roxas was running around. It's a good theory but a headcanon one.

I'm not ranting to bag anything, not at this point in my life, I'm just listing reasons. These reasons just told me that I was looking at a series of Mickey Mouse meets Cloud too hard. I had sucked all the fun out of it myself by analyzing or staring into these minor holes that you'd only see if you were looking. (well except writing/script wise)

So in light of that I chose to just ignore them. Follow the example of the casual crowd who fill sites with amazing art like I see on Twitter. Yes some have ignored titles yelling for "KH3!" but not all of them do this. Many casuals follow it in what way they can and just enjoy it for what it is by going on game info alone. I like this approach, I only use the games themselves as my continuity now and as a result I can actually have fun playing some of the games again.

Kitty likes this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Old thread is old, but I just saw it and felt like commenting, so whatever.

I think in general, Word of God has to be taken with a grain of salt, especially while a series is ongoing, because things are going to change. It's pointless to blame someone for a statement they may have made before they had any idea there would be another installment to expand on the story, especially if they might not be the sole creator. It's been pretty clear that there is no "bible" for KH to keep the story and lore in check. Personally, I would consider everything we see and learn in the actual games as canon, and the bits that come out of Nomura or another associate's mouth that don't fit with the canon should be ignored. Death of the Author, and all that.

It's pretty much how I treat Word of God in any fandom- if it makes sense with the source material, it's gold, if not, (or if I don't like it, lol) it doesn't exist.

Derek likes this.
  3. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Oh hey repliesssss thank youuuu :D

I've finally started to take the same stance. Death of Author is truly the best way to handle something when trying to take in everything from other sources just makes more holes than it fixes. In hindsight it kinda also takes the fun out of a series, nothing left to wonder.

Kitty likes this.
  4. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about Death of the Author.

I generally go with Word of God, but usually Word of God simply clarifies things once and is done. Nomura seems to say something to clarify, only to change his mind later. And sometimes his clarifications don't make sense. Like some other thread on the site I saw. You and somebody else were talking about time travel. Somewhere along, the other memeber (Forgetting name, too lazy to look) said that in DDD, the boss fight against Young Xehanort was essentially Master Xehanort possessing Young Xehanort's body and that's why Young Xehanort had a keyblade. Assuming that explanation originally came from Nomura, it literally does not make sense. It would be a much easier explanation to say Young Xehanort broke out of Mickey's Stopza because he's a time traveler and that the point in his life he's time traveling from he had already acquired a keyblade.

Kitty likes this.
  5. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

This is kinda one reason why I've taken Kittys stance in ignoring it, it goes into her ongoing series point. It can literally change at a later date, like the quote that nobodies don't age. Nomura did indeed make that statement but later we saw Ienzo, Lea and Isa. It was quite clear they've aged. Which you can chalk this up to the "growing hearts" rule DDD bluntly clarified but that's still a change.

Sadly Nomura did state this fact. It was from a period before I dropped interviews entirely so I could find it for you with time. It's one of those cases of adding more exposition than is needed, explaining what doesn't need to be. Like you said, it'd make far more sense for him to be simply immune to time spells since he's time displaced. Him having a keyblade could be explained as due to him meeting his older selves, etc.

Lots of easier explanations for this one part.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  6. Desert Warrior

They did age? I was under the impression that they all became nobodies 8-9 years after the events of BBS. I guess I'll look for that DDD scene of Xehanort turning Braig into a nobody. Maybe it had Ienzo on the ground fading away?

Gotta admit though, aging or not it does not explain why Dilan, Aelus, Even, and Ienzo all woke up in their guard outfits/lab coats while Lea woke up in the Organization cloak. Minor detals man... I fear sometimes the series really overlooks them.

Man that is so unnecessary. Was it even an answer to a question people had? I mean that explanation I had above was something that I thought while going through that part in the game. I didn't have any questions about it.

7. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Assuming later titles didn't retcon it, if you speak to Leon in KH1 after Hollow Bastion he'll mention he and the others escaped 9yrs prior. BBS takes place 10yrs before KH1. This would mean there was only one year of difference in there so theoretically, Axel, Saix and Zexion should've been pintsized nobodies. I actually have shots of this thanks to PS4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It does. It overlooks lots of things and over explains others. T-T

To be honest, I'm not sure. Most of the comments I saw at launch and even now over DDD are rather negative. Most hate the time travel and think it's confusing so they tend to ignore it. Others who try to rationalize tend to do so in very out of nowhere ways like saying there's other timelines and whatnot.
    Personally I don't think many had questions for that specific part though. Some wondered why he had a keyblade but, let's be honest, there was no real need to elaborate on any of it.

Kinda like how superfluous the "true master" and "inheritance ceremony" is in BBS. All those did was piss people off Sora isn't a master (yet) or bring up "Jack will get a keyblade" jokes. A friend of mine compared it to the midochlorian logic of the Star War prequels.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  8. Desert Warrior

Then I suppose the next explanation would be that their bodies simply aged, heart or no. Still doesn't explain the clothes though.

9. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

That's what I assume happened, I do wonder if it would be a retcon or not looking back on this since the no aging thing was interview only.
    I gave up on the clothes haha. I chalk it up to laziness. The models for Ienzo's labcoat already exists because apprentice Xehanort and Even wear them whereas Axel would require an entirely new outfit. Easy to draw on paper but it's time and resource to code.

That's me just guessing though.

10. Desert Warrior

Seriously? Not only does it make it harder to explain things, but it doesn't make much sense. Why on earth would a body stop aging simply because it lacks a heart?

11. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I don't recall a reason being given for it but we still see it partially with Ventus. His body has just sat there sleeping without needing food, water, etc.

I'm not sure what Nomura's logic was for the nobodies though. KH is a mix of eastern and western ideals so I never know what meta to read up on with it. I'd assume, and this is me just really guessing, is that it's because the heart is kinda the KH equivalent of soul.

I'm not sure how much it's worth now but KH2's journals said the heart body and soul were a trinity of sorts. We've seen that memories can be separate of the heart too but that's where they're commonly held.
    Soooooooo tdlr: the body is just kinda there without a heart I suppose? No mind to experience time and thus nothing to age.

I mean, that's BS now since we've seen it. The only body that hasn't changed by lack of heart if Ven so it's all BS no matter how ya look at it. That's just a guess I'd take based on what I remember.

12. Desert Warrior

Too many questions dammit. Hopefully (Doubtfully) they stop introducing new things to question once KH3 is out.

13. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention Kairi as well, she is the only other time we've seen a body (with it's living soul in tact) not do anything. Although she doesn't have anything on Ven who's been in that chair a good 11yrs now in-story. Dx

I'd like to hope for that too but I'm skeptical. Nomura, his writers, or both, seem to get off on all this to me....I mean leaving things vague is fine, it's good to let people wonder about a world but you can't just stack questions and leave it be...

14. Desert Warrior

Bringing up Kairi does bring up a good point. Maybe the only time a body doesn't age is when it loses its heart, but the heart itself must not have any darkness within it. I don't remember, but I think BBS ended with the destruction of Vanitas without any implication of the darkness returning to Ven's heart.

15. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

It's possible, we know at the very least that Kairi's body stayed that way due to lack of darkness. Namine only existed herself due to Sora's placement in that scenario, normally Kairi wouldn't even have a nobody.
    The fact that Kairi's body was left in tact but namine was born from seemingly nothing is still a huge headache of a lore knot.

That's one of the harder things to gauge. It seems Vanitas didnt return to Ven but we saw him in KHDDD, in some form he exists even if Sora didn't see him. (we did though)
    Then there's how Ven's heart station returned after Vanitas seemingly broke apart, where he lands is where it returns, etc.

I've seen a lot of debate going either way on him...I would say he didn't since Ven actively rejected Vanitas but I don't hold it as 100% since I don't know what to expect. Like, maybe Vanitas is part of Ven again and the one we'll see is time displaced or maybe he's floating around somewhere since Ven kicked him out or perhaps he took over Vens body while Ventus was out, etc.

Thats just a few theories I've seen with time...

16. Desert Warrior

After beating DDD I always assumed that Vanitas appearing in that one scene meant that he was going to be one of the thirteen Xehanorts. I can't really imagine why else they would include him there in one scene.

17. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I assume that as well. I was referring to the kinda ambiguous updates back in 2012. There was a good case for the fact that Sora didn't see Vanitas but only we did as a type of nod.
    THat's a sidenote thinking on it though. It's kinda hard to peg where he went. Where Vanitas is will shape how he comes back. I'd like to think Ventus rejected Vanitas but it's kinda suspect that Ven too would've been kicked out of his body at the end.

18. Desert Warrior

Was Ven kicked out of his own body though? I was under the assumption that his heart willingly left due to him essentially being at death's door.

19. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Tbh I'm not sure. I think Ven had to leave but I'm not sure if it was forced out or his heart was just too weak to stay on it's own. Vanitas merged with him, they seemed to have a joint heart of sorts and then Ven literally shattered it.

I've seen good arguments over it during the years but no ones has really proved one or the other. At most, it's clear no one was in the body for a good long while. Ven's body did smile in the KHDDD ending though.

I was always hoping Ven just assimilated Vanitas myself, they were originally the same person and Vens station returned as Vantias faded away. KHDDD kinda crushed that hope....

20. Desert Warrior

I was always under the impression his heart was too weak to be on its own. It would explain why he needed to reside in Sora's heart.

Does that really mean anything though? It didn't seem like Sora or even Riku really did anything that would have caused that.

DDD crushed a lot of things.