• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Ultimecia

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy VIII' started by Kitty, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna stick with the persecution. What better way to hate humanity than to be hunted by it?

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

^I suppose the simplest solution is usually the right one. In this case, it's just so bleh though. Ultimecia feels so removed from the rest of the story, which is made worse by the fact that she doesn't even really appear until the very end.

3. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I don't mind it too much. It is the whole 'villain pulling the strings' kind of thing. It happens lots, regardless of how quickly they reveal who's really the main villain.

4. Kitty

^Nah, I don't really see it like that. A good villain wouldn't want to dirty his or her hands, and would make the underlings do all the work. That I'm fine with.

What I take issue with is that there just isn't anything that ties Ultimecia in with the rest of the characters. Take a look at Yu Yevon, who is a similar behind-the-scenes sort of villain. Yu Yevon wasn't really mentioned in the beginning of X (besides the whole "Praise Yevon" bit, but I never really concerned myself with wondering where the religion got its name), but when his name is revealed, you can trace his involvement throughout the beginning, and you can see how he has made an impact on the characters and the world of Spira. But Ultimecia just appears out of nowhere, almost as an afterthought. It was almost like S-E decided to make Edea a good guy, then realized they needed a villain to take her place, and scraped together Ultimecia.

The only connection she has with any of the characters, except for the "I'm compressing all of time, and yeah, it'll affect you" business is that, somewhere along the line, she will inherit the powers that Rinoa currently possesses. And of course, she wants to take advantage of Ellone's random power. If Ellone had been born into an earlier or later time, Ultimecia would have had no need to bother Squall's present.

And besides, I still say her motivations are weak. Maybe if we'd gotten to spend some time in her world, or gotten to follow along Ultimecia's journey from girl to evil overlord, through flashbacks or something, she'd be a more intriguing character. As it is, I never hated her, the way you should hate all good villains and want to take them out. She was just there.

5. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

I don't think that making a sequel to FFVIII would be bad. It would be somehow like how they did with FFVII with their sequel of Advent Children and the Case of Novellas. Would they make the sequel a game or a movie, I don not know but I prefer game.

6. Kitty

I thought Advent Children was disappointing, for a lot of reasons. If it were to be a movie that would turn out lackluster like that, I'd prefer VIII not to have one. And the same goes for a game sequel. If it were to be similar to X-2, then no.

But some sort of spinoff would be handy for clearing up some of this Ultimecia plothole-ness. A spinoff, set in Ultimecia's time, with more of the focus on her, if done well, could be a good thing. The character could use some more explanation and face time.