• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Traditional Showcase Competition Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kitty, Mar 5, 2010.

1. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Haikus are not even hard. Here's an example from me on Blood:

Flows like cool water
    Spilt and falls into the grave
    Used by the reaper

2. GrandShadow

GrandShadow I accept your challange.

nice.

anyways i'll be giving my entree later

3. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

Its because I cannot write something simple. I try, and I fail.

4. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Haiku are awesome. I went through a phase years back where I was constantly writing haiku, lol.

And thanks for the "great job". I'm really hoping this takes off- I think it would be a nice way to boost activity on the forum.

I really think I want to stick with themes of some sort, as opposed to saying, "This is a poetry contest" or "short stories only", because I feel that is somewhat limiting. And I have to agree with Dark Riku, I really like the idea of entrants (I think that's a word >_<) having to include an object, or even a specific sentence, or a certain name, or something like that. I feel like that is a restriction that doesn't stand in the way of being creative.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has suggestions for themes or tasks would post them here, since I sure don't want to come up with all of the ideas on my own.

I'm also open to suggestions for prizes. Depending on how many people enter, I wouldn't mind awarding a second and third prize, if someone can think of something suitable.

Also, if anyone can think of anything that should be included in the rules, let me know.

5. Answer Man

Answer Man Man I'm Awesome

well i want to do this so here let me give you a few rules:

1:keep it PG-13 of course
    2: Limit how long it should be like maybe how you post just was.
    3: Nothing to bloody and gruesome
    4: It should not have anybodies name in it if they dont want it. so dont talk about anybody on here too.

Themes:
    1: The Season, any of them.
    2: Love and all that good stuff
    3: Crazy thing that dont make sense at first but add up at the end.
    4: Sad and sorrow things
    5: Real life things like how people on drugs would feel or see the world or the hood, how a homeless child see things, stuff like that.

Prizes:
    1: Ten or more Rep points(whatever they do)
    2: get to be a Mod for a week(Monday to Sunday, cant cause that much damage like that)
    3: Gets to have a bigger sig size or Avatar
    4: Can make name a different color that is not that of a Mod or Admin or Vet, ETC.

That is what i think really that might help you. If there all bad ideas, sorry i come up with better ones.

6. Keyblade Master Roxas

Keyblade Master Roxas Shake the Core.

I think the prizes are awesome XD
    I like the bigger avatar thing and the color change :'D

7. VentusSearcher

VentusSearcher Steam is the only way....

One thing I really don't want in this competition is for there to be a poetry only or a short story only week. Personaly I can't write poetry. I will only be writing short storys for this compotition. I also think the themes could be like a surtain time or durring a historical event, or a type of genra like fantasy, love, sadness. Etc.

8. Answer Man

They can alos be in song form, or rap, or in a drawing some how.

9. Kitty

Dammit, and I'd thought of this too, before I started writing my post, then forgot it when the time came. >_<

I have limited it to 1000 words, but it's okay to go a little over. Just not 1000 words over :p

I like this idea. Sort of an M. Night Shyamalan twist ending a la The Sixth Sense?

I like this idea, too. It also gave me the idea of writing from the perspective of a piece of furniture, or some other inanimate object.

Well, I can only give 4. The only way to be able to give 10 would be for me to find some others who would want to donate a rep, or bother someone who has a rep power of 10 to do it for me. I don't really want to go through that much effort, sorry.

Reading this made me shudder. No.

The only problem with this sort of thing is that I feel like it's unfair to allow a prize like that, when other contests, such as SotW, don't get the same treatment. It would also involve other people, like the admins, and I think I prefer to keep this to things I can do for now, at least until we can show that the competition will be active and something good for the forum.

I will not make it style-specific in that way. I want the competition to be as active as possible.

No drawings, this is writing only for now. I will accept song lyrics, though, if that is what you want to do. That's pretty much like poetry, I suppose. But I don't want an audio entry.

10. Answer Man

Maybe not having a bigger sig but maybe adding like medals to it, like we can have KH planet medals that can be put to the sig even if you can't have more than too, it might say something like AM'S Medal of Honor or something cool.

11. VentusSearcher

That would be awesome!!!

12. EtherealSummoner

Themes
    1. Flowing Tears
    2. Hungry fire
    3. Love on the battleground
    4. My Battle Maiden
    5. Creatures of the Earth
    6. Music to my ears
    7. The Burial grounds
    8. Hell, Bells and whisperers that can't tell
    9. Kingdom Comes
    10. Sewing up a creation
    11. Jailbirds to voices that can be heard
    12. Beating to the beat
    13. Dainty as a kitty
    14. Hatred with a vengence
    15. Spinning the hourglass

Prizes for 2nd & 3rd
    1. For 2nd, get a minor rep while 3rd place gets a picture or a minor signature/avatar

-______- And a big no to being a mod for a week. Just no. They would definitely will not approve it and it will never happen.

13. Kitty

I think this is doable. I can try to come up with something that will at least show recognition for the achievement.

Thanks to the people who have already submitted entries.

14. EtherealSummoner

If the entries are entered, let's get started with the voting.

15. Kitty

I gave three weeks for submissions to be entered. This is still the first week.

16. VentusSearcher

Ya im still working on my piece!!!!

17. Kitty

Just a reminder, as of tomorrow, there is one week left to submit your entries to me. ^_^

18. EtherealSummoner

There are four more days left until we start voting. -____- Next time, let's make the waiting for people to sign in every 1 to 1½ weeks. This is taking too long.

19. Kitty

If people think they can have something they are happy with ready to submit in two weeks, I will change it to that, but I don't want to make the submission period any shorter. I think writing can take a lot of time, and I don't want people to be too busy to enter, or throw together something crappy to make it by the deadline.

You seem to be the only one antsy.

20. EtherealSummoner

I want it to be shorter because people may end up forgetting about the tournament so that's why I said 1 - 1½ weeks.