• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

The Twilight Saga (novels, not movies)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kitty, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Well, I figured since half the discussion in the two movie review threads are actually about the books, somebody might as well make a thread to discuss them.
    ----
    I'll start by saying that I first read Twilight during the time where it was starting to get popular, but wasn't a household name. And such is the madness of the series that I actually really liked it. The poor writing (especially the cringeworthy descriptions of Edward's "perfection", the mostly unlikeable characters, the basically non-existent story-line: none of these mattered.

But eventually, I escaped from Meyer's clutches with most of my sanity intact.

---
    So, anyone who's a lover or a hater, c'mon in and discuss. How did you hear about the series first? Have a favorite or least favorite book? Favorite and least favorite characters? Do you think the movies were good adaptions? And so on.

2. Overdose

Overdose Ninja.V

I first read the book near the time it had been published, therefore i was young and i actually adored the book. It being one of my favourite books. However i had been disapointed in the climax... for it wasn't that drammatic and i thought meyer could do better. As for the so called Edward Cullen character, the 'every girls dream guy' Yeah i had fallen for it. However like i usually do when reading a book, im sure others do it to, they picture it in their heads. For me, i could never have pictured perfection even with the ammount of detail and emphasis meyer put into it. so whenever i pictured E.Cullen it was always a vague blur of a character. Nevertheless i had fallen in love with this fictional character.

After having seen the movie nearly 4 years later, i was very dissapointed. One robert.P did not come near to the standards of my unknown vague mysterious E.Cullen. Neither did the movie fully go with the book (then again no movie ever portrays the book dead exact) I had found the Cullens had not been full described, and the movie was poorly acted including devastating horrific special effects.

Going back to the books, new moon was good. I didnt enjoy it yet wanted to keep reading. Eclipse - my opinions keep changing on it from time to time. Breaking dawn i hated.

From reactions of fan girls who love the movie ... it has slowly caused me to hate the twilight saga. However i do try and keep a hold on the feeling i felt the first time having read the book Twilight.

3. Misty

Misty New Member

I too read the first book before the popularity explosion, but by the time I had finished the series it was starting to become the fandom that it is today. The books were an alright read. I found some parts of the plot to be a bit... well, silly. (vegan vamps? really?) I never really got into it, I guess, because I never liked the Edward character. He just struck me as kind of a pansy.

I mostly read young-adult fiction, and even for that the writing wasn't anything phenomenal. There was a big word here or there, but it was pretty average.

I do think that they are good for the demographic that they're targeted towards, and whatever will get people reading has my support. :]

4. Autopsy

Autopsy #3 Nelliel Tu Oderschvank

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

And then some incredibly F**ked up children. I've only heard some of the plot of the last one, and I was laughing and incredibly disturbed at the same time.

6. Autopsy

It'd be hella bomb (immensely good) if something went horribly wrong at the end of BD, and it ended up becoming a tragedy.

because you know..that's how it'd actually be.
    Shakespeare pisses on emo literature. (<-actually saw this as a sticker somewhere)

and I actually know that the women in this thread are 1000000000000000000000x more attractive than the crying babies that make up the fandom.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. Kitty

Eh, spoilers, since I forgot to mention 'em in the title of the thread.

What really irked me was the incredibly easy time she has as a newborn vampire. Newborn vampires in this series (and in general, it seems) are supposed to pretty much only care about satisying their thirst. But freaking Bella is able to stop mid-hunt after she smells some humans and run away in the opposite direction. What the hell? Then she's able to sit in a room with Charlie with very little discomfort. In the name of realism, there should've been some human slaughter in there somewhere. v_v And I could pass this off as her special talent if she didn't already have one (which, by the way, is WAY too powerful. More evidence of the Sueness).

Then comes the demon that destroyed any potential Breaking Dawn had, Renesmee. Really, this child is the creepiest thing I have ever heard of. Not to mention, how the hell is it possible for a vamp to impregnate a human, anyhow? Meyer's reasoning is pretty stupid.

It's not even about the lack of big words for me, it was the overall structure and the "feel" of the writing. It read like a mediocre (at best) fanfic. Not to mention, Meyer uses the same freakin' adjectives (particularly when describing Edward) repeatedly. It got annoying really quickly for me.

This is what happened to me. What annoys me is that none of these fangirls have good reasons for liking the books. It's usually something along the lines of "OMG! Edward (or insert any other Twilight male here) is SOOO hot!!!" It's not, "Meyer really knows how to tell a compelling story" or "Bella is really a character I can relate to", or anything remotely intelligent.

8. Autopsy

Vampires are dead, so I wonder how they're capable of pumping enough blood through their veins down there in order to force their muscles to ejaculate.

I don't say that simply because I'm a pervert. The logic behind Bella's impregnation is retarded.
    Maybe if Jacob did it..I'd roll with it.

9. Kitty

Apparently, some venomous fluid took the place of blood, and every other bodily fluid, and still retains characteristics of the original, and that's how Edward was able to get Bella pregnant, according to the word of Meyer. It's idiotic, not only for the fact that she was asked point blank before BD if vampires could have babies and she said no.

10. Frostwolf

Frostwolf New Member

I read Twilight before it became popular.. I don't remember much about it. It took quite a long from me to read New Moon and I finished Eclipse just few days ago. Twilight isn't better than Harry Potter but it isn't bad either! I still haven't watched the movies.. and I wonder if I ever will. D:

11. Kitty

It gets on my nerves when people try to compare Twilight and Harry Potter (by saying Twilight is as good or better). HP is well written, with likable characters who develop throughout the story. Twilight is not nearly as polished and the characters are not intriguing, and it feels like much less thought was put into the plot.

Though, the final books of both series were rather disappointing. So they have that in common. v_v

I thought the first one was good at the time, but after going home and thinking about it, it really wasn't that great. I still haven't seen the second one. I will say that the first one wasn't a bad book-to-movie adaptation. The problem was that the book it was based on was none too special to begin with, so the movie never really had a chance.

12. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Does the author of Twilight go kill-happy in the final book? That part pissed off my mom for the final HP book. Although, thinking about it, J.K. Rowling (Is that how you spell her name?) started killing since the fourth book, if not earlier.

13. Kitty

Hell, no. Spoilers down below.

The end of the Twilight Saga is the most anti-climactic bullshit ever. There are chapters of build-up to a dramatic, final fight that would have the potential to wipe out the Volturi and the Cullen clan (and their allies), and the freaking characters just end up calmly discussing the situation instead of kicking ass.

I seriously wanted to hurl my book across the room in rage and disappointment.

Off topic, sort of, but it didn't bug me necessarily that people died in HP 7, it was the randomness of it. Beloved (by some, anyway) characters were killed offscreen with hardly a mention, and characters like Hedwig and Dobby seemed to have no good reason for their deaths. Yes, death is like that, but still. HP 7 felt to me like one huge fanfic- not a terribly written one, but a fanfic all the same. I was not pleased with it.

14. Answer Man

Answer Man Man I'm Awesome

i hated the last Twlight book, the most boring thing ever, but i wanted to see it to the end, i rather have read war and peace five times then that. Plus the there wasn't anything good about it for me, (spoiler) she becomes vampire, were wolf hates it, big fights or arguments, end of story if not in detail with some things missing. but that's the most of it.

Off topic too- i hated that they kill harrys brid and dobby, they were such cool ppl.

15. Kitty

See, with the exception of most of New Moon, I would never say that the books are boring. They have a quality where they just sort of suck you in and make you want to see them through to the very end, whether you like it or not. The main problem for me wasn't a lack of action, it was the unlikablilty of almost all of the main characters. Charlie, Carlisle, and Alice were about the only ones I could stand.

16. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

17. Kitty

^ As long as the post starts a discussion, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe, even if it were over the two month line.

And lol, I read that yesterday. Twilight fangirls are just a scary bunch. It's hard to believe some people are so ignorant.

What's just as disturbing is one of the comments that refers to Taylor Lautner as "Taycob". Wow. That kid will never land any good roles if people start refering to him as a hybrid with Jacob Black. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.