• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

The Main Villain?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy X' started by Kitty, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I remember taking part in this debate on another forum a while ago, and since the entire Final Fantasy section is basically devoid of new posts, I figured it couldn't hurt to raise the question here, and see if it raises any discussion.

---
    So, like the title says, who do you consider the main villain of FFX?

In my opinion, Seymour is the main villain.

Sin does not fit my definition of a villain. I consider it more of an object that must be overcome. A villain, to me, is someone/thing that has purpose, and impedes the progress of the protagonists every chance he can get. Sin attacks based on instinct, and mindlessly obeys the commands Yu Yevon gave it when he created it (for example, destroy any town that gets too big).

As for Jecht, I don't consider him a villain, either. I just pity him. He had very little control over his own actions, and is really as much of a victim as any of the people whom Sin had killed.

Yu Yevon is the cause of Spira's "spiral of death." He's the one that needed revenge for Bevelle's slaughter of Zanarkand, the one who turned the remaining Zanarkand citizens into fayth for the summoning of dream Zanarkand, the one who created Sin to protect him and lay low his enemies. BUT, at the time of the game, Yu Yevon is nothing. He is almost as mindless as Sin, just continuously summoning Sin/Zanarkand, and is, as Bahamut's fayth tells us, "neither good nor evil." He doesn't order Sin about to do his bidding as someone with a purpose would do, but just seems to let it wander around and do what it feels like. So even though he'll never stop summoning Sin, and you have to defeat him in order to save the world, I can't call him a villain when he just exists without a purpose besides summoning.

And that leaves Seymour. Seymour purposely goes out of his way to screw with us. He makes a choice to attack and try to exterminate entire groups of people (Ronsos and Al Bhed), and he knows exactly what he's doing, even laughs about it. He desires to end the world. And he is constantly in the way, making life a pain in the you-know-what for both the characters and the gamers. I think this makes him the true villain of the game.

2. Answer Man

Answer Man Man I'm Awesome

really i agree with you about this one. I mean jecth was a good villian to me,but no really the best out of the game.

3. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

I don't even consider Jecht as a villain at all. Maester Mika acted like a villain, hiding Yevon's darkest secrets. Seymour on the other hand, killed his own father, lusted for power, tried to marry Yuna, tried to use her to become Sin itself and yadda yadda da da dee dee doo da da. I'm just sad that I won't be able to steal his staff for Yuna to use. It looks almost like the one the Braska statue was holding. Seymour should be counted as the main villain.

4. Kitty

Dammit, "I agree with you" doesn't make for a discussion. v_v

Jecht was a cool character whom I liked a lot, and he may be called a 'bad guy', but really, his heart just wasn't in it. He became Sin because he wanted to help break the cycle and defeat Sin for good. Compare that to Seymour, who also wanted to end Sin's tyranny, but by destroying everyone himself, so that they wouldn't suffer anymore.

Really, the choice came down to Yu Yevon and Seymour for me. And while Yu Yevon was the creator of all the terror Spira had been going through for so long, I just didn't feel like he was very antagonistic during the game.

edit:
    Feel free to throw any more names out there who could be considered villains. I meant to add a poll and include an other option, but I forgot to check the box when I posted. *smacks head on desk*

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

We can try to say that Yunalesca was the main villain but we hardly know anything about her. She did sacrifice summoners to falsely have people believe that the Calm will last and to give them temporary peace but she's just too wicked and stubborn to even try to find a way to keep Sin dead forever.

6. Kitty

Hmm, I don't think of Yunalesca as a villain, exactly, nor do I see her as "wicked and stubborn". I think she continued the tradition of the Final Summoning because she was torn between her loyalty to her father, Yu Yevon, and to the people of Spira. The Final Summoning meant that her father would never truly be defeated, but it also gave the people of Spira a brief break from Sin. So both sides win, sort of. I think Yunalesca was a good person, though she (well, Yevon's rulers, because how many people actually met Yunalesca?) covered up the fact that Sin could never be truly defeated with the Final Summoning. Or, if not a good person, seeing as how she did kill Auron for no real reason, and tried to destroy Yuna and the rest for disagreeing with her, at least someone who would like to help as best she can.

7. RoxasZ4

RoxasZ4 New Member

the main villain to me would be seymour hes trying to become the next sin to destroy the universe. he also took out majority of the Ronsos you also have to fight him 4 times in the game