• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Swordsmanship in Kh

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Zerieth, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Zerieth

Zerieth Head Game Reviewer

Hello peeps.

Thus far Kingdom hearts has displayed good story lines, exquisit graphics, and a How Not to Do It guide for swordsmanship. Sora has displayed horrible swordplay techniques along with every other character in the game with the exception of Seph and Hecules. Thus I have to wonder if Sora will end up becoming the equivalent to those two or if he is forever doomed to be a guy who simply flails away with that over sized key of his. Comments?

2. ADogX

ADogX R.I.P. Captain Unohana

meh...i would fight like him to.but odds are i,like i currently do,will be fighting like a samurai

3. Zerieth

Any guy who though fighting like Sora is the right idea would be suicidal. Swordsmanship requires a lot more skill than just putting your strength behind every attack, and also the same for all the jumping he does.

4. ADogX

lol double post is double.any way,i train myself with REAL KATANAS.i've gotten real skillful with them.and yes i know the proper way to sheath and un-sheath them

5. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I vote forever flail around. For Sora to have proper sword skills, he needs to be trained. Something that isn't gonna happen for him in KH.

6. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

On top of that, keyblades in general aren't exactly the most graceful weapons. On top of that, a majority of the enemies require less finesse and more brute force.

7. Kloudian

Kloudian New Member

Flailing. Definitely flailing.
    Sora's swordsmanship skills are so unorthodox that it catches all his enemies off-guard and they have not the slightest idea how to predict his next move. The element of surprise is always a handy little edge. ;P

Answer Man likes this.
  8. Goldfish

Goldfish Cats in the Cradle

Flail around with an AoE. he has a haxed Giant key which hits anything =]
    His combo always consists of swing, stab, giant swing (with the exception of abilities and drives). No finesse, no skill, all strength, perhaps which is why he has to pause if he misses =P
    The only thing he's good at is defying physics =D

Answer Man likes this.
  9. ADogX

well we can't keep aruguing about Sora. Riku and Ventus' swordsmanships are a little wierd to. Riku holds is Keyblade in the air which leaves his body open and only prtect his head. Ven holds his Behind his back,leaving him completely open and can only protect his back

10. Zerieth

Riku is able to do a fast drive down toward his lower left in order to block an attack coming at his stomach or chest. Ventus's form is able to let him dodge around without messing with his airodynamics. Also he can whip his sword out and around if he so chooses but yes that form is purely offensive and not defensive.

11. Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby New Member

I'm guessing that he will flail around forever, but it depends on how much of a gap there will be between KH3D and KH3 and how much older he will be. Maybe they could act like he learnt from some master in the time in between the two games. I can't imagine a Sora older and not flailing about.

12. Blade

Blade Heroes Have One or Two

With a giant and heavy(?) weapon like a keyblade, it'd be hard not to flail around. Besides, it's blunt so stabbing somebody won't do much unless there's power behind it.

In reality, though, it's a waste of energy and can be predictable even with a sharp weapon. Plus, actual sword combat would be a one-hit kill type of deal.

13. Answer Man

Answer Man Man I'm Awesome

All i know is that soras sword men ship is that of legend. Who else do you know that can take out 20 baddies with five swings or three(depends on how good you are) Yes he might not do so much on defensive but his offense is crazy good an he blocks as fast as he attacks. He had control of something heavy an can heave it around like its nothing, so letting it fly an knock someone out is kinda a good thing, plus with his coordination his hits are on point and strong. Its simple but effective. Roxas on the other hand is a freakin beast with his attacks, i dont see how sora could have beat him!(its cuz he let us) Now roxas is a swordsmen an hes super fast, with coordination an strength but some control.

14. ✰Wayfinder✰

✰Wayfinder✰ New Member

Wielding a Keyblade may be far more different than wielding a katana or sword of some kind. Sora has not had proper training with a Keyblade as of yet, though he and Riku practiced sword fighting constantly on Destiny Islands that does not mean they perfected wielding a weapon. Terra and Aqua's styles were a bit awkward as well, though Aqua's seemed a bit more graceful but she was in training of becoming a Master. The Master Qualification Exam may help define Riku and Sora's ability to wield the Keyblade with proper care and poise and unlock it's true ability and attacks. combos, etc.

15. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Considering that Kingdom Hearts is a video game, I don't see any real reason to bash one of its characters (which we've all played as at some point in time) on his swordplaying abilities. Swordplay most certainly requires more finesse than one can operate with a joystick and a few buttons (at least it you want to keep the battle mechanics easy to get a grasp on). Most games I've played that involve hacking and slashing have an ever presently questionable set of moves to choose from. As long as I can b****slap all the little CPU terds that that try and start with me, I could really care less how authentic the fighting is. It's a game, and if you're looking to it for the sake of learning proper, real world swordplay, then you're thinking quite wishfully. Critiquing a fictional character on their level of proficiency or lack thereof is utterly pointless.

To actually contribute this little rant to the conversation as relevant, it's not a matter of whether or not he gets "training" in swordplay, but a matter of how much games can be improved by the time he is set to make his next appearance. I would assume that there will be a KH title out on the PS3 at some point in the future. I don't have the pleasure of owning one, so I don't know how much possibility the controls for the games would allow. But I would imagine that releasing the games on a more capable system would be the sure fire way to better replicate proper use of weapons.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011