• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Square Elite Tournament 2017

Discussion in 'Arena OOC' started by Nova, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

I yield. The stun wouldn't wear off fast enough for Veldaan move in time to dodge the bullet from hitting him completely, and literally any further damage at this point would take him out thanks to his life-draining punch from two turns ago putting him at essentially critical levels. DW, it's your go.

2. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

@Moogle will you be posting a death post then?

3. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

Nah. Just follow the line of action to its logical conclusion. I.E. bullet in head.

4. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Thunder Bullet for the win then.

Can't say I'm necessarily pleased; I feel like I've crapping on myself this entire battle; but a win is a win... well, second place at least.

5. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm a little late with this reply, but Moogle was right. We honestly weren't scheming with each other. I figured it would be best to try to get rid of the one with the greatest range first. Though if Moogle had focused Veldaan's attention towards Hector I would've had no choice but to respond to that.

I shall be addressing this in my post momentarily.

Honestly I think you've been doing fine. A multi man melee like this was going to get rather messy in who was fighting who anyways. The fact that we generally stuck to single targets is more of an aberration.

6. Become

I went after Moogle mostly because it was easier to draw Veldaan into a point-blank range situation.

Hector's spear is wielded in his right hand?

7. Desert Warrior

Correct. Spear in right hand, shield in left.

8. Become

Just as a reminder, the right hand pistol has the armor piercing shells.

9. Desert Warrior

Man I could not think of a way to guarantee Hector wouldn't get shot. Can't wait to see the response.

Also I feel my pushing motion at the end needs a bit of clarification since I couldn't exactly find the right set of words when I was making the post. Hopefully I can explain it right here. My intent with it that the post is essentially ending with him starting his push forward. So basically the actual pushing motion would be starting with your post. Does that make sense?

10. Become

I'm actually a bit confused... DID Hector take a hit from my post?

I think your explanation confuses things more than the post does. Reading the post, and aligning it to my own, I could be inclined to interpret your move as an interrupt.

The majority of my counter offensive was intended as a hypothetical, banking on the gambit of Hector driving the spear through Andrea. But the viability of the interrupt depends on it being mechanically possible to apply the necessary leverage to completely throw off Andrea's movements; leverage which, unless I'm mistaken, isn't really allotted by the dimensions of the human body, the position against the attack that Andrea has taken (actually intending to have her shoulder impaled), and the nature of spear thrusts.

In any situation, I would believe that the way I framed post gives it enough merit as an if-then statement (namely, IF Andrea gets run through, THEN she takes her shots), for the shots to have been placed as intended. It would be determined by whether or not the ruling would interpret my post as such, or interpret it as me committing Andrea to her move prior to being impaled, rather than first allowing herself to be run through, and then placing her shots.

ADDENDUM: The terminology I'm looking for is torque, I believe; as opposed to leverage.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  11. Desert Warrior

So it seems the source of your confusion was my misunderstanding(s). Also I should first point out that my previous reply in this thread was talking about the shield push and not the spear push.

From your last post I was under the impression that Andrea was taking aim, not that she had actually taken a shot. Which, in a small twist of irony, is a setup similar to how I ended my post. So with me thinking that she was taking aim and not yet shooting my actions were meant to interrupt her aim.

Further confusion seems to be from Hector's jump attack connecting. From your post I was under the impression that you had Hector's spear cut inside her shoulder but not completely pass through. I was not sure if you left it open for me to decide if the spear completely went through her shoulder or not. Therefore I had Hector push the spear deeper so it would stick out the other end of her shoulder. I was then thinking that such an action would apply some torque and twist her body, unless of course you would have her brace her body to attempt to stay stationary as the spear was pushed forward. Again, this is dependent on the spear not completely going in her shoulder and out the other end when it first hit her.

Once pushing the spear forward like that I had Hector simply let it go and leave it sticking out of Andrea's shoulder, in order to quickly bring his shield forward for defense and that the spear would hopefully provide further disruptions to Andrea's movements. From there he bent his knees to cover as much of his body as possible with the shield, not bent into a full crouch but more of a stance preparing to push something large and heavy (I could not think of a good way to describe that when I made the post the other night). This would then lead into him moving to push Andrea with his shield.

So assuming any of this goes against what you had meant with your previous post (Mainly how much the spear impaled her and whether or not she actually would have shot her pistol during my post) I will happily edit my post to go with proper events.

12. Become

I was largely leaving the matter of whether or not the spear actually impaled her open because I wasn't going to assume that you had any intention of completely driving through as a follow up; you might have opted to stab part way through and then pull out, leaving Andrea to bleed out from the wound. From your post, you opted to push through.

I left my own post on the surmise that by positioning herself to be run through, it could be left as implied that she would have braced herself to offer resistance against any additional force. If that's not enough, then, yeah, she'd be thrown off enough to dissuade her from taking her first shot. So then I guess the real question to move us forward would be whether or not @Taboo Sho determines that Andrea should have had enough rotational force pressed against her while she took aim as to interrupt her. If so, then, yeah, we're not quite done yet. If not... well, we'll figure that out I guess.

13. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

It has been ruled in Become's favor that there was not enough means for an interruption. Hector will take the full hit of the attack and the fight will go from there.

@Become your time limit begins when @Desert Warrior completes his edits.

14. Desert Warrior

Full hit of the attack means a headshot which means this battle is over. So I made my edit with the thought in mind that I would be able to not die. Also gotta say hindsight is a pain and I really should've said which lance Hector was using at the start of the battle. Oh well, too late.

I should probably say this now while there are still a few days. This Friday to Monday I will be away from home and as such I will not have computer access, so I will not be able to be on this site for that time period. I hope that me notifying everybody in advance would be justifiable cause for the time limit for posts to be waived for those 4 days.

Taboo Sho likes this.
  15. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

Aren't dragoons supposed to wear helmets?

Taboo Sho likes this.
  16. Desert Warrior

He does have a helmet. Not sure how effective it is with armor piercing rounds at point blank range.

17. Become

As it stands, a typical set of plate mail isn't designed to withstand normal bullets of the modern era; not without being absurdly heavy, and inefficient for mobility; I will be so inclined as to give DW the benefit of the doubt in that Hector's armor could most likely take a hit from Andrea's standard rounds, but wouldn't hold up the same to anything created for the purpose of breaking through armor/armor-like surfaces.

PS - He did, in fact, address the helmet; it got scraped by the second shot by virtue of Hector falling on his wounded leg... in hindsight, I might have been able to finish this by going for the one shot to the head. But I was concerned about the mobility of Hector's shield arm, and as to whether or not he'd be able to move it to block that shot when he knew it was coming.

18. Desert Warrior

Thanks again for the extension. I'm back and ready to continue. With my post I do want to point out that in FFXV nobody actually drank the potion, they'd just break the top off and everybody gets healed. So yeah, preemptive justification for my post.

With Andrea's gunblade, I'm picturing something more akin to Squall's gunblade, which cannot shoot bullets (Instead the rounds it fires causes the blade to vibrate and do more damage). I assume her gunblade is designed to actually be able to shoot bullets at her opponent?

Also, way back when I made my profile I posed a question about Hector's Lancet ability I gave him and nobody answered. So I'll ask it again. Every FF game I've played that has it (Probably only FFX) the attack does not miss. So for this fight would it be the same or would it be best to allow it to miss? I am fine with either, I just need to know what we're going with before there comes a point where I feel I should use it.

19. Become

1. Andrea's Gunblade has been designed to fire actual ammunition; though she can achieve the same effect of vibrating the blade through the use of blank rounds.

2. I know it's a bit biased towards my own self interest, but I feel that the only way to really curb Lancet from being an OP ability would be to re-designate it, for this context, as one that requires contact, which can extend to contact via weapon-on-body.

20. Desert Warrior

I mean its hard to not be biased about it. I could just as easily say that I want to be able to use it in rapid succession, from a distance, 100% accuracy. I'm just unsure if making it a contact type ability would be too massive a nerf for it or not. That being said, at this moment I find myself unable to come up with anything that would be less of a nerf that would still be considered fair.