• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Series of Unfortunate Events Lemony Snicket

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by EtherealSummoner, Jan 19, 2013.

1. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

[​IMG]

I was watching the movie on Cartoon Network and I ended up having nostalgia of myself reading all 13 books ( I still have them... but they are scattered all over the house). What surprises me is that Lemony Snicket had more books after that and he is working on a new series, "All the Wrong Questions" and he already released "Who Could That Be at This Hour" last October and I did not even know.

*Sigh* I miss the series. Did any one of you read the books? I remember watching the film... but there were some stuff that they left out (And I can understand why the movie was rated a 6.6 out of 10). -.- And the producers is still talking about making a sequel but they took too long that the actors are too old ( I know because the actor for Violet is the actor of Katniss in The Hunger Games I believe and the movie was out... in 2003 I think... I believe so). I was wishing for a sequel SO much! The more they procrastinate, the more the interest will be lost and that they will not be able to make the movie.

But anyways, I simply ADORE the books. I also like it when Mr. Snicket goes: "And the Baudelaires lived happily ever after... sorry. I wish that it was true. They now hear two musical notes." *Ding dong*. "Helleew. I'm Stephano." Now THAT is a great story right there! And guess what? This is the only book where plot holes are ZE GREATEST! I mean, there are so many mysteries and it just goes on and on and on and before you know it, it is not about the siblings, the fortune and avoiding Count Olaf anymore but it is simply much more than that. Best quote he made the other day:

I enjoy the books. I never did have the chance to read his Unauthorized Autobiography and last time I checked... he made "The Beatrice Letters", "The Blank Book" (It is actually a diary of sorts... .... wait a minute. I do believe that I have that... somewhere), "The Composer is Dead", "Horseradish (Long long title)", The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming", and "The Notorious Notations".

But anyway, what do you guys think about the books?

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Wrong section. *Moves*

I adore these books. They're very much kids books, and sometimes very predictable, but the story and characters are ones that I find interesting anyhow, and there are parts that I think were written with adults in mind. And I love the writing style, and the way words that we don't use as often are thrown in to the mix. I have copies of the first thirteen books (though unfortunately when my nephew was two, he colored in Sharpie on some of them, so a few need replaced) and the unauthorized autobiography, but have fallen out from the series a bit, and hadn't realized anything further was released or planned.

Not so. Emily Browning played Violet- the latest movie I know she's been in is Sucker Punch. Jennifer Lawrence was Katniss.

I enjoyed the movie because I liked the steampunk feel to the world and costumes, and I thought the kids in the movie did a nice job. Jim Carrey played it a little too goofy for me, and they mashed the first three books together so much and tacked on that happy ending that I don't know how a sequel could go forward. Also, as you mentioned, it's been too long and would need recast. So I can't really see it happening, though stranger sequels have been made.

3. EtherealSummoner

You have Unauthorized AutoBiography? How was it? Wished I read it when I saw it in middle school. As for the actors, they looked similar to me so I was just assuming.

There really wasn't a happy ending because they did say in the movie I believe that Count Olaf was pronounced "Not guilty" when on trial but in all honesty, that wedding play was supposed to be done at the house WAY before Montgomery Montgomery and Aunt Josephine but it was done at the end. That and you can see that with Jim Carry being goofy, that it take away some of the dark contents ( I do not like how they were saying on wiki that it is possible that Josephine may still be living. <_< She's dead. Dead dead dead dead dead! How can she survive in that big ol' pool?).

But I am most likely going to give up on there ever going to be a sequel of the Unfortunate Events. If they still want to do it, then they will have to merge 4-13 altogether and it will be just as long as Lord of the Rings. Now if there is going to be a movie on Lemony Snicket's newest book, I may watch it.

4. Kitty

I have to admit, I can't actually remember anything that happened in it. But I remember enjoying it while I was reading, so I guess it's an okay book.

It's kind of a hard thing, because Count Olaf in the books was over the top, too. But the books also showed different sides to him that Carrey's mugging and the way the books were combined so much in the movie version didn't do justice to. I don't know, by the end of the last book, I sort of liked Olaf, or at least pitied him. But I can't see myself liking Carrey's Olaf at the end, were the movies to continue.

There's no way that could ever make a coherent, satisfying movie. More likely they'd do the same thing they did the first time around and stick 4-6 together and tack on another happy ending. And if that's what will happen, I'd rather they not even bother. But I don't think it's likely to come up, given how long ago the first movie was. I don't think this has the sort of popularity for a reboot, and a sequel wouldn't really be relevant to audiences now.

5. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

I believe; these were the books my teacher read in class back in the day. I barely recall them since it was so long ago. I remember the gist and the spoilers of the first book. The first one, I can recall better than the others. Count Olaf was the cause of these poor orphans tragic events. His tactics are quite clever. I remember being surprised on how just about everything tragic these children experience had to do with the Count. The small fortune the oldest one had on her head was more of a curse than anything. These were definitely good books and maybe if I ever feel the urge to pick up a book; I might have to re-live these.

6. Kitty

^ They all essentially follow the same formula. The Baudelaires get packed off to some "relative", Olaf appears in a disguise which should fool no one, but somehow does, and tries to get his hands on the kids and their fortune, the "relative" ends up killed, Klaus researches a way out of their predicament, Violet builds something, and Sunny bites something, they escape from Olaf's clutches, and repeat.

But there's actually more of a story there, about the past, and how these various adults fit into their lives, and the main characters are more than just cookie cutter good guys or bad guys. And each book is fairly short, at least by my standards, so for all that there are thirteen books in the main series, they read quickly.

Now this thread makes me want to reread them, but I've already got a list to get through. >_<

7. EtherealSummoner

The adults were dumb anyways, especially Mr. Poe. I don't even LIKE him at all.

Violet: "Mr. Poe! Mr. Stephani is Count Olaf!"
    Mr Stephani: "LOOK! No tattoo!"
    Sunny: "Ebbeee Lacai (LOOK! Snake is playful!"
    Mr. Poe: OUTRAGEOUS! Mr. Stephani shall be arrested children!
    Violet & Klaus: -.- But that there is Count Olaf...
    Count Olaf: Hello hello helloooO!
    Klaus: "COUNT OLAF!"
    Fifth Book Guardian: "Don't you mean Count Omar?"
    Count Olaf: *Creepy Grin*
    Violet: *Facepalms* Why do we even bother. *Burns down hospital*

All of the adults are dumb... WAY too dumb in my opinion. It's the same ol' same ol' routine. And then there's the Quagmire siblings. <_< We still do not know what happened to them.

8. Kitty

And that's the only thing that hurts the series, in my opinion. Not all of the adults are painfully stupid- Kit Snicket was relatively useful, Dewey Denouement was all right, and Olaf had some brains, too, though he used them for evil. But the majority of the adults that the children were supposed to rely on were completely useless. It makes sense, in that we're frustrated right along with the kids, and it forces the kids to use their own skills and take care of each other, and thereby grow as characters, but sometimes it goes a little too far into the goofy, unbelievable category. But I think this is common with children's books and movies- look at Disney and all their absent and/or neglectful parents, for one.

9. EtherealSummoner

It is obvious that they are literally showing and diving adults and children into two different mental worlds. Children (young and teenage) are just as clever as adults and they can see things but then again, they are underestimated by adults. It seems as though there is always a knowledge battle between children and adults, to see who actually understand what and so, children are seen with children as they seems to understand each other often, something in which is believed that adults cannot understand once they reach an age as to where their minds cannot comprehend a child's mind anymore.

I believe the fifth book where the Baudelaires first met the Quagmires greatly mirrors that.

10. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

I just watched the movie and it all came back to me. I could have sworn that 'Bad Beginnings' had the wedding event. I guess that they just used that to conclude the movie. But I'm sure it had something to do with which hand Violet used that made the marriage unofficial. Anywho, they left out all of the good parts. The movie didn't fully show all of Violets, Klaus, and Sunny's unique talents. I remember the Count's neighbor had a bigger role and Klaus didn't figure out the note so fast. Oh and the Count pushed Aunt Josephine in the water. Violet also made that grappling hook thing that Klaus used in the movie. I think; she was the one who tried to save Sunny.

But yeah! I might just have to read the book. Jim Carey is always funny! "Caesar must die! Caesar must die! Caesar must die!" I started laughing when I heard that. Ah Julius Caesar allusion.

I just wanted to share!

EDIT: Ah Summoner, you noticed the wedding thing too!\

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. Kitty

Yeah, the wedding "play" took place in The Bad Beginning, though I figure the moviemakers decided it was a better ending than Aunt Josephine getting eaten alive by leeches, and I don't disagree. And yeah, Violet managed to squirm her way out of the marriage on a technicality by signing the certificate with her left hand while being naturally right handed. I don't remember how she got out of it in the movie, but I remember not liking it as much. I should watch it again one of these days- I own it; it's around somewhere. >_<

The movie just can't really compare to the books as far as plot goes. And I know people are always like 'the book's better, blah" when it comes to movie adaptations, but trying to shove the first three books into one movie was a poor choice. Though it is a little refreshing, given the trend nowadays of stretching one book into two or three movies. :rolleyes:

12. EtherealSummoner

<_< Violet tries to write the certificate with her left but Count Olaf made her write with her right. Olaf told everyone that he tricked him with the certificate in his hands but Klaus burned it down with a super large eyeglass from the tower. Then, Olaf got trounced by the audience and was arrested. Wow. What a laugh... well, Olaf going "I'm the monster? YOU'RE DA MONSTUH!" was the part that made me laugh actually.

13. Kitty

I remember now.

That's stupid. I can understand when movies have to change something when adapting a book to make it work for the different format, or cut for time, etc, but when there's no real reason to change something, and they even go so far as to start to do something the way it was originally and then blatantly stop like that, it irritates me.