• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Samurai Jack (Revival)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Become, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

This episode had so many good parts but I'll sum it up with a single sentence:

"woah! what a freak, looked like a talking penis"

Desert Warrior likes this.
  2. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Literally, the best one-liner I've heard in a good while.

3. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

The way he said it really helped it too. x'D

4. Become

Personally, I was kind of shocked to see him come back to life at all. But maybe I should have expected it?

5. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Nah, the fact it was unexpected is a good thing. Just like that line. xD

6. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

The whole time he was on screen I kept saying to myself "Don't let him reach Aku. Don't let him reach Aku." Imagine how fast Aku would rush to Jack the moment he finds out Jack lost the sword.

Love the episode. Definitely a good one.

7. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I was the same. I'm expecting next week to be Aku finally learns he lost the sword, rushes there, only to see Jack found it. x'D

8. Desert Warrior

Well that depends entirely on whether or not Jack actually gets the sword. I see the next episode going one of two ways. Jack does whatever he's doing to locate where his sword is while Ashi defends him or he somehow manages to summon his sword to him while Ashi defends him. I suppose in theory it is possible he manages to have another sword forged for him, but I doubt they'll go that route.

9. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

The idea that he could summon the sword to him is interesting. The preview makes it seem like he's going to find it but it'd be cool if it came to him. Unless his meditation is some Avatar sh*t and he's searching for it all "astral" like leaving a physical body to protect.

Anyone notice the small nods in this episode? I spotted an Astro and robo Popeye.

10. Desert Warrior

My original thought that it was some kind of astral projection to find it. Which I was kinda right about. As was the other guess of mine. So win win for me?

Not just Astro, but one of the dogs from 2 Stupid Dogs as well. And supposedly the dog from Tom & Jerry, but that one didn't quite look the part to me.

11. Become

His acquisition of the sword seemed kinda... well, I wasn't quite sold on it. I kind wonder why he couldn't have gone through the process to get it back somewhere else along the way.

12. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Likewise. :D
    The Tom&Jerry dog was there!?

I see people keep saying this and I don't get why. Jack was trying to find the sword with meditation but he didn't know doing so would literally bring it back to him physically. It's made apparent that he wouldn't have regained the sword even if he had tried it earlier since he was mentally unbalanced. And there's only 10 episodes to this season.

Seemed like a perfectly reasonable way to get it back to me. Jack was all hopeless and contemplating suicide, Ashi brought him out of his funk. If the Jack of earlier episodes had tried it he wouldn't have gotten nowhere due to his mental state.

Jack also said he believed the sword abandoned him so he likely didn't think he was worthy of finding it anyway. All of this coupled with the small time frame made the whole sequence seem perfectly acceptable to me.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  13. Desert Warrior

The middle one. Comments on YouTube and whatnot said that dog looked like him, but personally I didn't see enough of a resemblance for it to count.

I think it is because everything gets resolved within an episode this season. The Daugters of Aku are a threat? Jack kills all but Ashi in a single episode. Jack and Ashi stuck in the intestines of a massive beast? They're out by the end of the episode. Ashi demands Jack prove he's good? She's convinced halfway through an episode. We finally see the Scotsman again? Aku kills him in the beginning of the episode (Though he does have his ghost to linger around). Jack goes missing and Ashi must find him? She finds him by the end of the episode. Ashi has her inevitable confrontation with her mother? The mother is (probably) dead the same episode Ashi confronts her after her development. Jack decides to get his sword back? He's got it by the end of the episode.

Personally I don't mind how quickly certain events have gone by. After all, Gennedy has 10 episodes to provide a conclusion that we've been waiting for for 10 or so years. But I have been surprised at how quickly certain things go by after having been built up prior.

14. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I didn't see it either but given the other homages we likely just missed it.

But Jack's episodes in the past only ever had more than one part for the beginning, it's always been a series of one episode problems and resolutions. It was made episodically. That's why I don't understand the complaints now.

Plus, like you said, he only had 10 episodes to finish it this time. I'm glad we're even getting resolution as you are, so other fans complaining baffles me.

15. Become

I wasn't so much unsatisfied with the quickness with which it happened as much as that I wasn't expecting it to just manifest. I was looking forward to an episode of them literally going into that abyss that it got lost in to retrieve it, or something. I mean, I liked the whole 'balancing' himself part. But I had gotten the impression that that was only for the sake of finding out where the sword was. Not just up and getting it.

16. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

So you were unsatisfied because it wasn't what you expected to see?

17. Become

Is it not common to not be completely satisfied with something that wasn't what one expected?

18. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Yes but at the same time that's being unsatisfied with something you imagined rather than what was promised. ^ ^"

19. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Well that episode was a thing. I wasn't sure how to take it personally but one of the Dragonball Youtubers had a good take on it:

[​IMG]

20. Desert Warrior

This past episode was hilarious. Watching it with a friend instead of simply watching it alone certainly made it better. Didn't necessarily think it would go the way it did.

With respect to that video, I feel that person is incorrect. At least with specific aspects. I don't think Gennedy or any of the other writers were trying to show off this sort of sexist aspect in our culture with Jack's reactions towards Ashi. To me (With the video's examples towards this) it seems to be much more towards Jack being more old fashioned (After all he's literally from another time) and respectful to Ashi. I feel that making a claim of sexism within the confines of the episode is reading too deep into the subtext of the episode.