• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Least Favourite FF X Character

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy X' started by Napoléon, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Napoléon

Napoléon Kuroko Fangirl

So, I was browsing Final Fantasy X today and I realize that there's several Kimahri haters that exist. For their own reasons, they thought he was terrible in battle and that made me think of who I didn't like in this game. I was always a huge fan of Kimahri, but everybody has differences in their opinions.

Who did you think was useless in combat ? Was their one or more characters that you thought were extremely annoying ?

Wakka sums up this for me. I feel like I'm one of the biggest Wakka haters ever, but I know there are other people who agree with me ! The annoying voice, the fact that his "specialty" is shooting flying fiends with his ball, yet Lulu can just blast them out of the sky. I mean really, I had no use for him at all. He was the only character that I despised leveling up and I felt like his ego could explode at any minute. To say the least, he was not my MVP.

The only other character that slightly bothered me was Tidus. He, as opposed to Wakka, was useful in battle and I give him props for that, but he just had an irritating personality. He was way too loud most of the time and I couldn't get into his character.

But yeah, Final Fantasy X was popular so I'm sure more people have opinions on this.

Kitty likes this.
  2. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

I am not annoyed by Wakka and I find Tidus funny sometimes. I like Kimahri but in all honesty, you end up finding almost nothing for him to do even though he can pierce enemies like Auron. Kimahri may be able to learn enemies abilities (Which is what I find useful for him. Just use lancet and then use the ability back at them) but Auron beats Kimahri in strength while Kimahri beats Auron in agility. XD Which is why I am assuming that the company forced us to use Kimahri against his brothers on Mt. Gagazet to make us like him.

I do not hate Kimahri but I find better use in some characters than him. Doesn't mean that I just go on and stop playing as him. I now like Kimahri more than I used to.

3. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Definitely Wakka. I found him somewhat useful in battle, with his higher accuracy and Attack Reels, but his personality was so annoying. He was that perfect example of the religious bigot that I find so aggravating in real life, and that, plus his ridiculous voice acting, did nothing to endear him to me. He's one character I truly hate.

I also found Tidus to be really whiny and loud. And sometimes irritatingly stupid. I understand he's a stranger in a strange land, but sometimes he was just so dumb. As you said, he was very useful in battle, and partly for that reason, I ended up liking him in spite of myself. But yeah, not the best character.

I liked Kimahri's character quite a bit. I liked his dedication to Yuna and how he was quiet but still a badass when need be. Unfortunately, I could never really find anything to do with him, battle wise. I think they tried to make him more well-rounded with the way they set up his sphere grid, but it really just made him weaker than the others. His blue magic came in handy, and I would've liked to use him more, but it wasn't until the very end of the game that he ended up with the same strength and defense stats as Auron, Tidus, and Wakka, and it was just easier to use them.

4. EtherealSummoner

XD I don't know why you guys do not even like Tidus. He is the perfect example who models young males who does not have a father in their lives or have a bad relationship with their fathers. His Daddy is a bully. After Daddy leaves, his mother is now a single parent. After Mommy dies, little boy is by himself and now struggling against his emotions of his father and puts the blame on the dad, trying so hard not to be like Daddy. A nice background if you ask me. -_- At least he is not like Vaan asking Fran how old she is. More reason to like Tidus. Plus, Tidus matures over the course of the game.

<_< If you truly would like to dislike someone, dislike the Luca Goers. So arrogant.

5. Kitty

Say what? *raises skeptical eyebrow*

And bull, his family issues are no excuse. Most of the characters in FF games have screwed-up back stories. Having Tidus deal with his in this way might make sense in context, and certainly it's different than the brooding way the heroes usually handle their issues, but it doesn't make me like him for it.

Bit characters I can forget about after their five minute scene. I have to listen to Tidus' sniveling the entire game.

6. EtherealSummoner

I see it... well, in different scenes as to where he understands the situation. -_- And he is the only one who was smart enough to go against the group's decision to become the Final Aeon. That I commend him for it. Now you cannot just stand there and say that Tidus did not change the group's mind on some things. <_< At least he is not an emo Cloud that all of the FFVII fan-lovers adores.

7. Kitty

While Cloud is certainly mopey, in addition to whatever other psychological disorders he has, if I had to be in a party with one of them, I'd still take him over crybaby Tidus.

I'll give him major props for deciding to go ahead and fight Yu Yevon, even knowing that he'd disappear. That took some courage. He has his moments, I'll admit, which is why I said in my first post that he grew on me during the game. But c'mon, the dude's so loud-mouthed and shrill.

To get away from my Tidus rant, I have to say Rikku is also a little annoying. She didn't reach epic levels of annoyance until X-2, but she was that girl you have in FFs who's kind of hyper and kind of childish and if she were real, I would hardly ever want to spend time with her. She, like Tidus, has her moments (like when she was clueing Tidus in on what summoning the final aeon was really about), and she's not nearly as unlikable as Wakka, but yeah.

8. angelwings

angelwings New Member

Sorry but Wakka !

At the beginning he felt really preachy and the least understanding of the main troop; even when Auron came around he was still pretty much Yu Yevon's biggest fanboy.

I didn't mind the characters preaching about Yu Yevon now and again, because it's was their reglion, their culture; but 24/7 ? No, just no.

All Wakka did was just speak about Yevon, praise Yevon and whine about Yevon.

Yevon, Yevon, Yevon, Yevon, Yevon, Yevon, Yevon.

9. EtherealSummoner

XD I just like the one expression on Wakka's face on Kilika I think. I find Wakka entertaining. -_- I didn't like O'aka at first. <_< he's always such a money grabber... like MoneyBags from Spyro. "Welcome to O'akas!" I got real mad when he called the clothes on Tidus' body filthy. <_< Helluuuuu. Compare yourself to Tidus please. He is WAY cleaner than you. He tends to have nice items though... but then I started to like him more after I met Wantz and learned about what O'aka had done and then I had sympathy... and then I want to smash his face in FFX-2 after I realized that he is in 100,000 gil in debt and I have to help him pay that off.

I like the three. Only time I do not like Wakka is when he kept on attacking Rikku and don't even know anything about Rikku and once Rikku's home has been attacked, he feels bad. I can connect to Tidus, Wakka and Rikku. I know that ALL of us has did something like one of them in some point and time: Tidus inexperienced and struggling against emotions, Rikku hyper but having to face discrimination and Wakka representing ignorance. Now if you go and dislike Wakka the most and you also tend to be ignorant on some things, then that is what we should all try to stray away from.

10. Napoléon

Napoléon Kuroko Fangirl

That's exactly what he was ! Yu Yevon's biggest fanboy.

Most people have their ignorant moments, but when it's for the duration of the entire game (or nearly) then it becomes annoying. I mean really, I thought Wakka was going to die once he figured out that a temple of Yevon actually used machina after the Seymour/Yuna epic wedding scene. He just drove me up the wall. I could probably rant about Wakka for days, but I'll leave it there for now.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If I was stuck on an adventure with Tidus, I would either not make it to the end or I'd lose my sanity. Both sound plausible. Atleast with Cloud you could travel in silence for some parts, but with Tidus there's no option of that. The boy always has something to say >_>

The perfect summation of Tidus. The ending was sweet though and he was great in combat, but you hit the nail on the head when it comes to his personality.

Yeah, Rikku was annoying at times because of how hyper she is. The only part of the game where I truly couldn't stand her though was when you have to travel across the Thunder Plains. Sure, I would be afraid to travel across a field of spiders or something, but sometimes you have to suck it up and not make a fuss about it. It's one of those things where it's over before you know it. I like the scene on Mt. Gagazet that you mentioned though. She actually came across as being a sweet person who was worried for Yuna, but then Seymour busted in and crashed the party. Good ol' Seymour.

11. Kitty

Aw, I really liked O'aka XXIII, right from the beginning. He was that sleazy salesman with a heart of gold. Though I agree, having to pay off his debt in X-2 was kind of irritating, though I usually had plenty of money to do so.

This, yes. I can excuse some ignorance, but after a while, it's just willful intolerance and a refusal to learn better. The fact that the religion he was so caught up in was a complete sham made his spouting off even more annoying, but even if it hadn't turned out that way, I got tired of hearing him singing Yevon's praises 24/7. And even aside from his religiousness (because admittedly I have issues with organized religion), he was just so thoughtless sometimes, almost moreso than Tidus. Like when Cid had to blow up Home and Rikku was obviously upset (and with reason), and he tells her "Boom! Just like fireworks!" I suppose it's an improvement that he'd gotten over his issues enough to try and be nice to an Al Bhed, but how would that make anyone feel better?

DO IT. I will join you.

I'm sorry, what?

I know. Traveling through the plains the first time was annoying enough, between getting knocked on your ass by the lightning and the constant random encounters. Her shrieking the whole way did not help in the slightest.

The scene I was thinking of took place in Home, after the Al Bhed had been snatching summoners and the Guado decided to attack. Tidus makes some unintentionally dumbass comment about how the Al Bhed have no right to stop the pilgrimages, and Rikku sets him straight on what happens to the summoners who summon the final aeon. This scene may have made me cry a little, even though it also features a rather shrill and dramatically emotional Tidus. But the one you mentioned is good, too. Rikku is fine when she's being serious. It's really moreso X-2 where I had the big problems with her, where she's constantly striking poses and saying "Oh, poopie" and doing other oh so charming things.

12. Zatchara

Zatchara New Member

Everyone that isn't Jecht and Auron. Srsly, FFX takes second place in the FF series for housing the most annoying and or deadpan characters.

13. EtherealSummoner

XD I wouldn't mind traveling with Tidus. At least I would be entertained and have something to talk about. I would end up losing my state of mind if there was nothing to talk about. -_- I do not want to be around an emo freak who is down all the time. Would have me try to boost him up but then I find myself down like he is and everyone starts to have a pity party. :D BUT WITH TIDUS, EVERYTHING IS HAPPY AND IT IS OK TO BE CURIOUS! Hope that they make a game with Yuna marrying him. Forget the people who are irritated! You need to learn!

As for Rikku, -_- how in the world can you guys hate Rikku for having a fear of lightning. There are people in reality who face the same fears as Rikku and took them a while to get over it like she did. Its like why people have a fear of dogs. Are you going to go up in their face and go "Suck it up dang it. Its just a dog."? Heck no! They have experienced something traumatizing that made them create that particular fear and for her to get hit by lightning, :p I would love for one of you to try to get hit by one and say that there is nothing to fear. Thunder is like electricity in a PSP electrical cord times 10. I find her fear of lightning amusing. Let her get hit by lightning magic and she sounds like a mouse.

XD Please rant about Wakka so I can join in and support him and we can have a Wakka-Wakka debate! But anyway, with Wakka, I can tell you this: Wakka is the same way he resembles people in life the way Tidus resembles young males in life. Well, with Wakka I can understand since he grew up not remembering his parents and being raised in a place where it is religion and praying, you end up developing that aspect. Now, I do not like as to how he treats people like Riku but what would he do if he realizes earlier in the game that Yuna is an Al Bhed too? Would he go against the one he loves or what? ... :) This game is good to talk about the psychological viewpoints between it and real-life! You can mainly find something that is traumatizing in this game more than any other I believe. You do not see him so religious in FFX-2 anymore (Hope that helps XD).

<_< The one time that I actually do not like the praying thing is when I actually thought that I will get something nice if I had Tidus to pray too. I had him pray a lot at that one pillar on Besaid; I got nothing. Had him pray a lot at Kilika; was bogus. I think I did the same at Djose too; no items. I just wasted 15+ minutes of my game time praying for nothing... which had me create some doubts as to whether Wakka's prayers actually work. But aside from that, Wakka mirros how people in life tend to be ignorant, even when it is not religious.

XD And Kitty Kitty. You would snap too if you travel with the group and learn about some things that are facts and only get the half-story too like Tidus. But anyway, I like Tidus and Rikku the way they are. Plus, they can grow out of it. -_- And Rikku is 15 for goodness sake. Of course she will act like that.

FAnd there was another character who I did not like until at the end: Dona. -_- "Well, well well." Such a bully and she is an adult I believe (Looks like she is). I hope that in the HD edition, they allow the game to have more aeon battles and that Yuna can actually knock some sense into Dona. <_< She needs a whooping. "Why don't you stand on your own two feet for once?" but she ends up kidnapped by the Al Bhed and starts questioning as to whether or not she should continue her journey. At least Yuna made a rival out of her.

14. Napoléon

Napoléon Kuroko Fangirl

The more I rant, the more I think this is true. The only characters that didn't bother me though were Auron, Lulu, Kimahri and Yuna (in the main party.)

I'm so glad you brought up the firework comment because that irritated me ! Honestly that was the Al Bhed's home, their safe zone, and when it was destroyed that was the thing Wakka had to say ?! How heartless is that.

Wakka just had that annoying personality. He seemed rather full of himself and he mindlessly followed a religion that shunned machina, yet they (Temples of Yevon) used it. They're a bunch of hypocrites. He didn't like the Al Bhed at all because their civilization used this type of machinery and it was hilarious to hear him talk about how bad those people were when Yuna, the person he's protecting, is part Al Bhed. I wouldn't be able to hold my head high if I were him. How can you despise an ENTIRE race of people when you don't even know them ? That's how ignorant Wakka is. When you blindly follow others, then that's something to be concerned about, especially when it turns out to have many flaws.

Now, his voice is what takes the cake for me. What a terrible voiceover they chose for this guy ! Not only did they make his character hard to like, they picked a ridiculous voice that didn't even fit properly. I never felt like the accent matched who he was, and it made listening to him preaching about Yevon even worse. He was the sore thumb out of the bunch (Tidus had a poor voiceover as well, but that was mainly because of the lack of volume control >_<)

Oh, you were talking about that scene (I don't know why that didn't clue in with me.) That was a little heartbreaking because in this game I really like Yuna since she was the shy and slightly awkward girl, so I felt bad for her.

It's kind of ironic how Yevon, what is believed to be great and holy, thinks human sacrifice is necessary to benefit others, when the Al Bhed, considered to be "evil", actually have compassion.

How did I know you would say that :rolleyes:

I felt like she was overreacting which is what bothered me. It's like the saying of "being a drama queen". Sure, she got blasted by a lightning/thunder spell when she was younger, but I felt as though she was seeking attention because no decent person I know reacts in that manner.

Rikku was Rikku. Super hyper which gets old fast.

FF X-2 had enough flaws on it's own; it didn't need Wakka's contribution >_>
    I still didn't like Wakka that much in X-2, but he was not nearly as irritating as he was in X, which is a great improvement.

I didn't mind Dona that much; She was just another summoner. I actually felt bad for all the summoners once I realized what summoning the final aeon does to them. It seemed rather cruel to me.

Hmm... There weren't really many other characters I didn't like. Seymour was more or less creepy, but I couldn't hate the guy and Jecht wasn't one of my favourites just because he had a poor fatherly role. I don't like hearing/playing stories where the dad seems to be a jerk to their children since it pulls on my heart strings. It's one thing being a strict parent and it's a complete other thing to put your kid down.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  15. Kitty

Honestly, you're pretty much right. There are other characters besides these two that I liked, but when you compare X's entire cast versus the other FF games' casts, with the exception of X-2, I think X has the greatest number of annoying, unlikable characters.

I kind of wonder if we're talking about the same character. Tidus was certainly confused and curious about Spira, but I wouldn't call him "happy."

It was really very insensitive. I mean hell, the Al Bhed evacuated and all, but I'm sure they had to leave behind the bodies of their loved ones who were killed by the Guado, in addition to all their possessions and things they hold dear. And then he wants to make a comment like that?! All he had to say was something simple like "I'm sorry for your loss." But no.

This.

I also thought his voice was terrible, but I don't think it was really the voice actor's fault. For one thing, with the words he was spewing, I would have been irritated no matter what he sounded like. And the accent was annoying, but what made it weird for me is that he was really the only one who had one. You'd think Lulu and Yuna, who both spent most of their lives in Besaid, would also talk like that. But it's only Wakka who we hear doing it (and maybe a couple of the Aurochs in text boxes), so it comes across as ignorant to me.

Agreed. Especially when you compare her to Yuna, who was roughly the same age and had much more to be afraid about. Yuna conducted herself with dignity, and I admired her character.

I wouldn't have been surprised if he did.

And I find those people in real life just as ignorant and unbearable as I find Wakka in this game, I assure you.

Dona wasn't important enough for me to really feel that strongly about, but I can't say that I liked her character much. The only time I did like her was during the scene I referenced above, when Rikku explained the final summoning, when she and Isaaru stepped up a little and explained that going through with the final summoning was their choice to make. Oh, and I also did like seeing her as a summoner conflicted about her sacrifice. I think it was natural to have doubts, and Yuna for the most part was very focused and didn't show that side.

I see what you mean, but I don't know. I felt like we were seeing him through Tidus' eyes, and I think Tidus was rather prejudiced against him due to his jealousy for his mother's attention, and I think he misunderstood a lot of Jecht's actions.

Tempting, but I reckon we'll just end up shouting over each other, because there's no chance you could ever change my mind about him, and I doubt I could influence yours.

16. EtherealSummoner

... XD Boy you need to replay the game. Tidus always had an upbeat personality. Changing Wakka's mind from "Do your best" to "Win it all!", having Yuna to learn how to laugh it all out if she is worrying about anything, teaching Yuna how to whistle, making fun of Maester Mika, I can go on if you like. :)

;o Yuna has Lord Braska's calmness... and she spent a decade on a quiet little island. <_< But Rikku also fear of losing her cousin. Both of them came from different environments so I'll love Rikku for overcoming her fear of thunder in FFX-2.

XD Its to show the Jamaican side of Besaid Island... or just to show that the island is tribal. Meh. I like his voice. -_- Why is his voice so important to you girls? Both of you would do the same thing falling in love over a sexy man but once he opens his mouth, he sounds like a mouse and you turn away.

Because you know that Tidus is GREAT! :D

But in all honesty, this is the only game in which I do not find any annoyance really. :) I even find Seymour less annoying. What was annoying about him is that he just won't die at all. Almost immortal...*Tries to find a Seymour robe so I can creep out PurpleDiamond*.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  17. Kitty

Why is Wakka the only "Jamaican", then? If they wanted to properly establish this, they should have had Lulu and Yuna with at least a slight accent, too. But they didn't. His voice is important because it's annoying and I am forced to listen to it for the entire game. A bad voice acting can ruin a game. And Wakka's voice acting wasn't the only terrible one in the game- see Tidus (and also Yuna, to an extent, because her voice was often very slow (as an effort to try and match her lip movements, I think, but it doesn't quite work)). And yes, if some hot guy came up to me, then opened his mouth and his voice was impossibly annoying, I would probably take a pass. I don't know how you could "fall in love" with someone without even talking to them. o_O

Geez, don't even remind me of that laughing scene; that was traumatic, to say the least. Tidus was very loud and energetic, but I kind of think he was that way to cover up his insecurities and get attention, not because he was especially happy. *shrugs*

18. EtherealSummoner

Um... Lulu and Yuna are from different places. Yuna was originally from Bevelle and both of her parents do not have an accent so I do not know why you wanted Yuna to have an accent. And as for Lulu, she was raised as an orphan on Besaid and she is from a different place too so I don't know why you wanted Lulu to have a Jamaican accent (Although I see Lulu with a little bit of Russian for some reason). Man. Nothing is wrong with Tidus or Yuna's voice acting. :p Are they pulling your heartstrings or something? And while you are still hating on Wakka's voice, the voice actor of Wakka is also the voice actor of Kimahri and also Jake from Adventure Time. XD *Does Tidus & Yuna laugh* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAAAAAAAAA!

And as for the laughing scene, :D It is time for you to experience it once again in three different ways!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tidus and Yuna laugh...out loud? - YouTube

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  19. Kitty

Yuna was born in Bevelle, but she was taken as a young child to Besaid, and spent most of her life there, until she started her own pilgrimage. It is entirely within reason to expect her to talk in a similar manner to the people she is constantly around. And the same goes for Lulu. I was born in Pennsylvania and lived for five years in Ohio with my northern US-raised parents. I then moved to the south and have lived there ever since. And I talk with a southern accent. So even if Lulu was born somewhere else (though I had the impression that she was born in Besaid, but just lost her parents very young), spending most of her life in Besaid, I think it reasonable that she would speak like the rest of the natives.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the two didn't, because Wakka's accent was annoying enough. But it would have been more legitimate if they did, imo.

It's your opinion that there's nothing wrong with Tidus or Yuna's voice acting. It's my opinion that they could have been done better (though in Yuna's case, the only problem was her actress trying too hard to match Yuna's lip movements. The quality of her voice was fine). And you could argue that Tidus sounded exactly the way he should based on his character. But that doesn't mean I like listening to him being all shrill and whining all the time. I hate Wakka's voice, yes, but I have nothing against John DiMaggio. I just dislike the way he portrayed this one character. Same goes for James Arnold Taylor and Hedy Burress.

20. EtherealSummoner

But Yuna and Lulu were at an age were they were old enough to still know how to talk the way they did. Just because you live in a different place for a while does not mean that you will learn the accent of the people. -_- So you are saying that an American person who moves to somewhere like India, that American person will start talking like the people from India because they lived there for a while?

And I don't even know why Wakka is liked the least anyway. There are other characters such as the Besaid Aurochs who also shares the same accent on Besaid. I do not even find it that annoying. :p Wakka have some pretty funny expressions.