• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Hit or Miss?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy VIII' started by Kitty, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Public opinion over this game seems very black and white, even all these years later. Everyone either loves it or hates it. What's your opinion?

I personally love it. The storyline had all kinds of cool elements (mercenary training schools, magic, sorceresses) that appeal to me, and I think the romantic aspect was probably done the best here than in any other FF. And I'm a sucker for a good romance. I really enjoyed playing as, and interacting with, almost every character, and while the junction system was a little frustrating at first, it grew on me. This is my favorite FF of all, so I'd like to know who feels the same.

2. Avalantos

Avalantos Mr. Detective

I never got to finish it as my little brother snapped disk 2 before I finished disk 1 so I had no where to go, been trying to pick up a copy but with no luck.

From what i played, it seemed out of place as I played FFIX before it, the scientific theme didn't appeal to me as much as the medieval theme did. But I only have half of disk 1 to judge.

3. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

I wasn't pleased with this game, but I kinda want to go through it again. I think part of my original dislike for the game resulted from a lot of bad luck. I was constantly unable to defeat the enemies I was encountering, in large part due, I think, to a poor use of junctioning, and probably a lack of good weapons. I never seemed to have the stuff I needed to get the weapons. It took me a while to figure out how to get them in the first place. I'm so used to just have equipment stores, the magazines completely went over my head. It also took me forever to realize that I had to go in and take those stupid tests to start getting more money. And then I got stuck in Lunatic Pandora completely and utterly unable to defeat Adel and also unable to level up because the battles in that place only game one exp a piece >_>. I was also new to RPG's at the time, so I don't think I was as good at them as I am now. I think I'd probably do better with a replay.

However, I will say this for FFVIII, I loved the GF's, despite the fact that I find the name kinda lame. I lvoed the way they functioned as an HP buffer in battle and the process of learning all their abilities. That was probably the biggest success of the game in terms of it's battle system. Congrats to Square for that.

4. Kitty

I've never really found the need to take very many of the seed tests. If you fight a lot of random battles, your rank will go up anyway. And I always seemed to have more than enough money to get what I needed, even early on in the game.

I would suggest trying it again. You might like it better. Use GF abilities and triple triad cards to refine high level magic early on to junction to your stats, and you're set.

Triple Triad is also one of the most addictive and useful minigames. Congrats to Square for coming up with it.

5. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

You can use the cards to get better magic? I never knew that.

6. Kitty

You can use Quezacotl's Card Mod ability to change them into items, then use various GF abilities to mod them into magic, items, and stuff. It's awesome and damn useful. I used card mod like crazy when I wanted to get high enough stats and thunder elemental magic to beat X-ATMOS, or whatever the hell that robot in Dollet was called. And I did it, too. W00t for 40 AP. [/bragging]

7. Angel of Oblivion

Angel of Oblivion New Member

i luvd FF VIII too!! cuz it waz soo fun and the story was really good too! ^.^ i liked the whole battle set up stuff too cuz it waz real fun to play, i never really finished the game though, sry ^-^''' cuz i had to giv it bak to my friend x.x i wish i could hav though!!! the characters were really good too and the game depended a lot on skill and doing things at the rite time and i liked getting the new items by getting items cuz i like searching to fight monsters and the tests were fun too ^-^' i luvd the card game too!! it was sooo easy to win xD the GF cards were awesome!!! ^.^

i really liked the um...limit break thingies that the characters got too ^-^ they were fun to see and do

8. Kitty

^What was sweet about the limits is that you can use them repeatedly if you keep your health in critical. I hated how you could only use them once in FFVII and then had to fill the bar up all over again. Two Renzokukens, with or without finishing moves, could destroy just about everything.

9. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I liked 8 more than 7, probably because I played it first. The one thing that I don't like about 8 is that when you level up, the enemies level up with you. I have a friend who beat it, and the highest leveled character was at level 10 or 12.