• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Favorite Works and Authors

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kitty, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

My last attempt at this thread failed abysmally, but let's give it a shot again.

What are some of your favorite books? Or short stories, poems, plays, comics, etc? Do you have any favorite authors? Discuss.

______

My favorite books change very often. But some of the books I've reread the most are:

*Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I've loved this from the first time I read it, probably about fifteen years ago now. The Civil War area, especially in the deep South, has always interested me, and I liked reading about people living in that time, though I don't doubt much of it was romanticized. Her main characters are also really fascinating to me. They're smart, but sometimes make stupid decisions because of love, and Rhett and Scarlett at least are complex characters, to my mind. They have good qualities and bad qualities, and sometimes you like them and sometimes you want to slap them, but they're always intriguing. I want to know what happens to them.

*Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I love all of Austen's works, but this one is my favorite. Misunderstandings, witty banter, a satire of society, and another time period that I enjoy. There are a lot of interesting characters here, too- Mr. Bennet being one of my favorites.

*Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. If you can't tell, I adore period pieces. I also love coming of age tales, and this is certainly one. The sisters are all distinct, and I liked all of them for different reasons. Nothing too extraordinary happens to them, but I still enjoy reading and seeing how everything turns out.

Of course there are tons of other books that I've enjoyed, but these are the consistent three on my top list.

As for favorite authors, J. K. Rowling and J. R. R. Tolkien are in that list. The worlds that they've created suck me right in. I'm also a fan of Diana Wynne Jones, George R. R. Martin, Rick Riordan, Agatha Christie, Philippa Gregory, Stephen King, and more.

2. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

There was this one particular book that I simply adore and would never forget! It was called "The Secrets of the Samurai". I went and forgot the name of the author though but I do remember the cover of the book so I looked it up and it was written by Oscar Ratti & Adele Westbrook.

I simply loved this book mainly since it covers on the history of martial arts in Japan but I also liked how the novel covers on the techniques on the staff. I should try to find that book again and reread it. It was one of my all-time favorites. I do not have a favorite author in particular though. Just novels.

But then there's the Percy Jackson series. It was very intense in the last two books though with the war going on. I have heard that there were another series after the Percy Jackson series but I never was able to bring myself to read them when I was in high school.

3. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Yes, the Heroes of Olympus, is what I think the series is called. There are currently three books in the series, though I've only gotten to read the first two. They're quite good, but not yet up to snuff with the original Jackson series. I miss the Percy/Annabeth/Grover dynamic, though I'm hoping in this third book that will come into play again.

I could sit in this thread all day and just keep naming names of books and authors. The Princess Bride by William Goldman is another one I adore. It's very, very different in tone from the movie, but it makes me laugh so much. And still finds a way to punch me in the feels, too.

4. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

... Oh my gosh. I remember now... MY CHILDHOOD BOOK!!!! *Runs to my room to get it and puts up a picture of one of the books*.

[​IMG]

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE WHEN I WAS SMALL!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!! XD But I never did understood what was happening actually. I remember having Violet, Yellow, Brown and Green Fairy book but my mommy said that I have the whole collection. D: I need to look around the house for them. These books has COUNTLESS Fairy Tales. I wouldn't mind to read them again... Gosh. I have the Violet Fairy Book right now sitting next to me and I really want to read them now.

5. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

In terms of books, one of my all time favorites is "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood. It's a pretty good post-apocalyptic Scifi. Without spoiling too much of it, it basically revolves around the recollections, and daily trials, of the best friend of a scientist that used a powerful synthetic disease to wipe out the vast majority of humanity and make room for a more peaceful and efficient species of humanoids. Said best friend of said scientist was made responsible for protecting the new species. Just talking about it here makes me envision the world I imagined it in when I first read it.

However, right now, I'm very much taken by poetry. In particular I've grown find of the Romantic period poets, such as Wordsworh, Blake, and Coleridge (amongst others). I must admit, having read these poems makes me want to read Milton's Paradise Lost, since the romantics tend to reference him quite a bit, as does most British poetry.