• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Bringing back SOTW

Discussion in 'Audio and Visual' started by NeRo, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Avalantos

Avalantos Mr. Detective

Think he means a few weeks as opposed to a few in 1 week dude

2. 月野 うさぎ

月野 うさぎ KH Graphic Team

You know, I kinda figure that Goldfish meant he'll enter a few of the SOTW...not a few tags/graphics/whatever at a time.

3. Plasmos

Plasmos Plasmos

Right we got that, I'm not sure where you thought I was confused. I was saying he should enter only 1 sotw at the moment given that he needs practice on his artwork for critique, hence the word "constructive criticism" and "practice". You can't really cnc a sotw piece that deep, but if you post a piece in the graphic area where open cnc is unlimited then that would be best.

4. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

Practice makes perfect, i'm living proof. I do freelance for a living it pays my bills. So always keep that head focused on practice practice. even if it's just a small signature or an avatar wallpaper, or what have you.

Try to find something to inspire you while you work. Like music, movies and the like. Good luck to everyone. I can't wait till sunday to get the ball rolling again. who knows this might invigorate a spark for you all to open shops.

5. Avalantos

Avalantos Mr. Detective

This ^

Similar story, but I moved onto a different form of art and make 3d models for games now.
    SoTW on other forums almost 10 years ago is what got me started.

I disagree, SoTW is a competition.
    People usually push themselves more during a competition, thus is one of the best way of improving.

6. 月野 うさぎ

月野 うさぎ KH Graphic Team

I could have been mistaken with the fact you said 1 entry is enough, but maybe I am wrong. And, excuse me, but generally people do get constructive criticism from SOTW competitions. I have no idea where you got the thought that when you vote for an entry that you don't give a reason, but that's the general rule. When you vote, you need to give a reason that isn't like, "It's pretty."

7. Plasmos

Plasmos Plasmos

Clearly, we're all aware of that. Please read context clues before posting.

Did you not read my post entirely? When did I say you "couldn't cnc a sotw" ? I stated what is quoted below.

You stated that you need to give a reason why you may or may not like a tag, it's not a rule whether or not you need to give helpful information, you just need to vote say something and be done. Generally people vote and state why they like it, i.e color, layers, smudging, etc. Not many people know how to execute, or critique a tag cohesively so they can't really give helpful information. I've been designing digital graphics for years and not many people benefit from sotw critique rather than making a thread that's based on their own art work. That's where I'm going with this.

And if you've been competing in sotw's (from the way your describing it), lets see how well you do in the first sotw and all the critique's you've gotten in your past competitions that you CLAIM helps you. Competing in sotw's do not help you become a better artist, a few cnc's do not either if the artist does not know how to work Photoshop or any other ditigal tools they are using. It takes time and years. By looking at your avatar and tag it doesn't seem like it works that well, just my thought.

Also to add just take a look at one of the many sotw's here thread link below, you see not a single forums user given constructive criticism that would benefit or help the designer craft his tag better in the next entry. It's just the same basic, common words people use when they really don't want to give a real cnc.

http://www.khplanet.com/forums/competitions/11878-sotw-11-naruto-voting.html

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. Avalantos

Avalantos Mr. Detective

I will be giving constructive feedback on SoTW's as well as deciding which is my fav

9. 月野 うさぎ

月野 うさぎ KH Graphic Team

My only problem with your post is this.

You're telling me that a SOTW, a way to practice and have fun, isn't going to give a person practice?
    And then you go on to say that it takes time and years...which I don't doubt it does, but what do you call creating a graphic for a SOTW? If it's not practice, then what is it?

In any case, your small jab at my graphic capability made me laugh. You just had to go there, didn't you? lol

10. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

Would anyone be interested in this? if i re-opened SOTW