• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Books You Dislike/Regret Reading

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kitty, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

As the title says. Post the works you found the most horrible to read through (whether because they were poorly written, were boring as hell, have completely unlikeable characters, or even if you just plain hated them, without any real reason). Also post why, or say if you have no reason.

Most of the books/plays/etc I regret reading are ones I was assigned to read in school. Some of the ones off the top of my head include Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton, The Crucible by Arthur Miller, and The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I found all three of these just boring as hell, and actually, I disliked almost all of the characters in them, too. I finished all three because we had to write papers on 'em, but damn, I didn't want to.

For some outside of school, I'll say Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Sunshine by Robin McKinley. On the one hand, I'm glad I've read Twilight and its sequels, just so that I know what people are talking about, but there's no denying that hours of my life were wasted on it. And with Sunshine, McKinley is actually an author I like a lot, and the premise of Sunshine was great, but I dunno, somewhere it went wrong. I had a really hard time making myself read through the end.

Also, as much as I love the Harry Potter series, Deathly Hallows was kinda sucky. It reminded me way too much of a fanfic. The epilogue in particular I can't stand. Blech.

2. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter didn't bug me too much. With Scarlet Letter, I didn't care for it until near the end when it actually got interesting.

And all the books I don't like having read were all assigned in class (And most, if not all, were feminist books). They are The Awakening, Pride and Prejudice, and Jane Eyre. Still reading Jane Eyre right now. So boring. A friend of mine believes that English writers were paid by the word.

3. Kitty

I never found The Scarlet Letter interesting. It should have been interesting, but it bored me to tears. But more than that, I just didn't like the characters, especially Dimmesdale. Though of the two, The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible, I found The Crucible much more annoying.

I've never read The Awakening, but I love both Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. I actually just finished rereading Jane Eyre not too long ago. :D

I really, really hated As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. I couldn't stand the stream-of-consciousness writing style, I didn't like the characters, and I disliked the story. Triple blech.

I also really hated Stephen King's The Stand. I haven't read everything King's ever written, but I would call myself a fan. But gawd, I hated every second of this one. I'm not really even sure why. It just blew.

4. Bulbie

Bulbie New Member

The first book that comes to my mind is an old Finnish novel called "Laulu tulipunaisesta kukasta" (Literally that would mean "A song about the firered flower")
    Basically it's about some guy who just journeys through numerous cities and flirting with women. Every time he leaves the town he promises to come back to them, but he never does untill one day he realises he's getting old and just picks one of those women and marries her. Annoying as H*ll. The only reason I read the book was the fact we HAD to read it for school... >.>

Luckily that's the only book that I've hated in my whole life.

5. sCam

sCam Banned

I dislike reading, I can't say i really learned anything from reading all those fiction books. Although I did learn alot reading forums.

No, I don't regret it, and I don't know why would people choose to.

6. Goldfish

Goldfish Cats in the Cradle

After my personal little hype of "Parasite Eve" (with the whole ordering of the book and playing the games again before the book arrived), I was incredibly disappointed. There was a pretty cool idea going on with the whole reconstructing of a human being or something like that (I still haven't finished it and have put it down to read something else), but it was too boring to get through it all. It was slow and mind bogglingly medical. It may have been good if I were doing something bio related so I could at least understand some of the terminologies the book had used.

7. Blade

Blade Heroes Have One or Two

The only book that I chose to read and regretted after 5 pages is "Huckleberrty Finn". It's not really the content that I don't light, it's just the style.

8. Rojas250

Rojas250 New Member

I hate fuckin" shakespeare......which is mostly romeo and juilet......most fucked up book on the face of this planet. Theres a long reason for that.

9. Kitty

Lets not post in dead threads, okay?

-Closed-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.