• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Book Review: Dracula

Discussion in 'Literature' started by xxxJRosesxxx, Jan 4, 2013.

1. xxxJRosesxxx

xxxJRosesxxx New Member

I love vampire fiction, but only when done well and not to simply indulge in some mediocre suburban fantasy romance that the subgenre has become. I like my vampires as monsters, no problem with them being complex and even sympathetic as long as they faithfully remain monsters. Bram Stoker gives me that classic monster, and I'm glad to have taken the time to read his most famous novel. But does it live up to its hype?

Dracula is written in first person through the journals and documents of multiple characters throughout the novel. Be prepared to have a dictionary on hand unless your major in college was English, this book was written during Edwardian England. The writing is extremely formal English and I'd recommend skimming through the few sections with cockney dialogue, you won't miss much vital information. The first few chapters being from lawyer Jonathan Harker's perspective as he writes of his journey through Transylvania and meeting his mysterious client Count Dracula. These first few chapters are where the horror truly shines, the build up of suspense to meeting Dracula, the creepy atmosphere, and Jonathan's revelation of what his client is pretty damn frightening. Though after those first few chapters the horror gradually declines as more of a detective story evolves through the pages, but that detective work is interesting especially with Van Helsing and there's still plenty of creepy atmosphere.

The characters aren't particularly developed, but not all are left uninteresting. Van Helsing is a clever odd duck with a veil of mystery about him, especially when you wonder how and why he obtained his knowledge on vampires. Count Dracula is frightening and intriguing but is less of a character and more of a force of evil. There are four other characters with Jonathan Harker, Quincy Morris, Dr. John Seward, and Arthur Holmwood, none of which have any qualities that make them interesting or set one apart from the other besides nationality and occupation. Quincy Morris is an American cowboy and Dr. John Seward runs an asylum, where Mr. Reinfiled is his patient. Speaking of Mr. Reinfield, he was Count Dracula's previous lawyer before Harker and somehow his business with the Count has driven him delightfully mad. Lucy Westerna and Mina Murry are the only two women to take important roles in the plot, and while likeable they are depicted as idealistic maidens having their virtue threatened by Dracula. In other words, they're sexist products of their time.

So Dracula is a good book for those who enjoy horror, detective stories, and of course vampire fiction. I wouldn't call it profound or moving, but worth the long and at times difficult read.

2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

I just have to comment on this book because I'm not a reader and this was the first book that I've actually picked up in years, haha well it was on my schools summer reading list so I really had to read it or I would fail like I did the previous year then that would cause me to struggle in reading again but enough about me

I'm actually a fairly good reader but I just don't like doing it but when I'm committed to it. Again, I'm amazing! I finished Dracula in a matter of days maybe 3 or less. I want to say two. Anywho, I'm not going to lie. I don't fully know exactly what went on in the book because it was about two years ago but even then it was hard to understand. Translvania is an area that I'm unfamilar with. I also believe that Harker traveled from England to Translvania so there were a couple of countries inbetween that completely confused me.

I love the journal entries. Harker had such a great memory to rewrite the exact wordings and situations that he experience. It's almost envious. I believe Mina wrote some entries as well. Speaking of Mina, I secretly like Mina because she's my relative!!! True Story! I'm all over the place so here it is:

The journal entries were amazing. I think journal entries just give a Gothic story that much more edge. You can anticipate that the author has survived a climatic event because they are logging it. The culture and writing was also a bit tricky because not only is it British type English but its pre-modern English as well as technology. The geography threw me off. I'm not familiar with Europe so I couldn't understand the proximity of countries. Once the journal entries switch to Mina [I believe it was her or Lucy]. I was once again flabbergasted until specific events occurred. It was quite interesting to learn about [vintage] vampires. You think of modern day vampires and you think [wtf]. But, I like Dracula very cunning and efficient. Vampires were able to shapeshift most notably the dog/wolf which quite frankly I didn't know that such things vampires were capable of doing. In Dracula, Vampires were actually the undead. Once bitten by the vampire and after that person's passing then they would becoming this soul sucking demon instead of instantaneously becoming one. There's much much more but I'll leave it there because truly I could go on and on.

Overall, I love gothic, horror, thriller type stories not enough to pick up an actual book but if I just had to then those would be my type. it drives me crazy when I start a book because I must finish it. I dislike cliffhangers when taking a break from reading. Oh! The ending! [I'm just yammering now] It was fast pace and intense. It wasn't the ending that I was honestly expecting but I was hoping it was this truly epic battle with Dracula and Van Helsing. Oh well! It was great anyway!