• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Avengers Infinity War [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Nova, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

I just went and watched the new Avengers movie. So many tears. :( What did you guys think of it? Do you have any theories about what will happen next?

I think that this is all still a part of Doctor Strange's plan that he foresaw. Why else would he trade the stone for Iron Man's life? It wouldn't make sense if he was probably just going to die anyway. That's just what I think though.

Kitty likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, well Strange did say it was only way.

It was so funny in the theater, the girl behind us was crying especially when Parker died, the water works. This is actually my second Marvel movie so I didn't understand a thing. Quill and Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy were so hilarious. Pirate Angel lol. Overall, the movie was okay. I felt some of the heroes didn't play any major roles whatsoever. Hulk, I'm referring to you who decided not to come out for whatever reason. Wakanda seemed only to be a setting for a battle of attrition. Eh, if it's anything like the comics, I'm guessing Thanos will want to lose to whoever he'll be facing.

Kitty and Nova like this.
  3. Nova

Exactly. Maybe Tony is somehow needed to fix what Thanos did. Or maybe he just foresaw Tony would live through it and decided to save at least one life. But I'm still hoping there was more to it than that.

Parker got me too and he isn't even my favorite avenger. He's just so much younger than the others and Tony's reaction made it even more sad. I actually liked a lot of the guardians in this one. Quill is kind of in the dog house for now though. If he had just waited two seconds to punch Thanos in the face things could have turned out differently.

Thor stood out to me in this one but he normally does. I didn't like how they made him more stupid and comedic in Ragnarok so I was glad to see his normal personality return. He was able to have funny scenes (like on the ship with the Guardians) without acting dumb.

Yeah the Hulk thing confused me too. Maybe he's scared of Thanos or something? I hope that they explain that at some point.

I would have liked to see Wakanda play a bigger role too. But at the same time most of the movie was set in space so it makes sense. Still the scenes they were in were good. T'Challa is one of my favorites by far so I was sad to see him among those that died.

I wonder if they do find a way to bring them back, though, if it would make a difference for Loki and Gamora.

Kitty likes this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I'm not marking spoilers in my post, so if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read it.

I just saw it as well, and I really enjoyed it. I never did get around to seeing either Thor: Ragnarok or Black Panther, but I didn't feel especially confused while watching. One thing I liked about it was that it wasn't really an Avengers movie so much as it was a Thanos movie. They humanized the hell out of this guy and made him much more than two dimensional, and in a series where the villains, in my opinion, tend to have really weak characterizations and be mostly forgettable, I really appreciated that. I found the scenes between him and Gamora surprisingly touching and sad. Another thing I liked about the film was how the teams were broken up, and we really got the chance to see actors play off each other (and characters interact with each other) who might not otherwise have gotten to. The Guardians cast in particular livened things up and worked well with everyone. Stark and Parker's father/son relationship gives me all of the feels. Tom Holland was great in this- I was kind of bleh on yet another Spiderman before Homecoming came out, but the kid was great in this. His "I don't want to go" hit me in the gut. Thor was a standout character, too. I loved him in this.

I also felt like this movie did a decent job with balancing humor and drama. Sometimes I feel like the Marvel films try a little too hard to be funny and go hard on the one-liners. I thought the space stuff was way more interesting than the Wakanda stuff. I still think Wanda/Vision is weird, even though it happened in the comics, too. I thought some of the characters held the idiot ball- T'challa opening up the dome and letting in way more baddies than they could handle, Wanda leaving Vision to go out to the field, Quill punching Thanos, and Strange not using the time stone, for starters, but I suppose some of that could be explained away.

I'm guessing Strange forsaw that in the one decent future, Thanos ended up with all of the stones and realized that he might as well save Stark in the process. Or, as you said, perhaps Stark is the key or part of the key to the end. I am working with the assumption that everything occurred as Strange forsaw in the good future, because otherwise, Strange is a total idiot. This reasoning is a good way to excuse a lot of dumb mistakes. For instance, I'm guessing that in every possible future, Quill fucked things up by punching Thanos, or else he needed to do it in the good one, otherwise Strange would have restrained him.

Yeah, I think it is exactly that Hulk is scared of Thanos. He went up against him at the beginning of the movie and had his ass handed to him, and Thanos only had one (or two) of the stones at the time. He only got more powerful as the movie progressed, so I feel like the odds of Hulk winning just dwindled. From what I understand, Hulk is sort of a defense mechanism designed to protect Banner. Staying out of the fight might have been the best way to do that.

How many deaths do you think will stick? I'm guessing that everyone who died a "normal" death will stay dead- so Loki, Heimdall, Gamora, and Vision, while everyone who disintegrated will return once someone gets the gauntlet away from Thanos and retcons it away.

Nova likes this.
  5. Nova

I still hate the guy. But he's much more real in this one, which I liked. Gamora's death scene stood out particularly to me. She genuinely felt like he didn't love anyone which made it that much worse when he turned on her.

They are adorable. And it's nice to see him have that kind of relationship with someone other than just Pepper.

I don't mind it once in a while. But I think in some of their movies they take it just a touch too far. It's harder to take the characters seriously when they do that. But maybe that's the point. :rolleyes:

T'Challa confused me with that one too. I get not wanting the bad guys to get around behind them. But why not just send people around the perimeter and kill the few that get in rather than letting the whole army in at once. Most of them were killing themselves just to get through the barrier anyway.

As for Quill and Strange their only saving grace is if somehow those things needed to happen for the best outcome that Strange saw. Still, I doubt he shared the knowledge with Quill even if he didn't decide to restrain him. So Quill's still an idiot either way. >.>

I think the only way that Loki, Heimdall, and Gamora have a chance is if somehow they can go back in time to before Loki died or before Thanos got the stones... but that might be a stretch.

Kitty likes this.
  6. Kitty

I loved this take on his character because to me he looked at things the way I imagine a god would. It was a different motivation for a big bad than we've seen before in this series. Don't get me wrong, I still hate him too, and he needs to be stopped, but I find the character fascinating, which I wasn't expecting to. Ugh, don't talk to me about Gamora's death; so heart-breaking. Zoe Saldana acted her ass off in this film, in particular in this last scene and when they were at the collector's looking for the reality stone.

Yeah. I don't imagine this will do much for his PTSD, though. Finally letting himself care for someone else and then the kid dies in his arms.

I guess if he did that, we wouldn't get a big action sequence at the end of the movie. :p But yeah, this was one of the dumbest moves in the film.

Quill definitely let his emotions get the better of him there and acted rashly. I still say it's part of the plan, though.

Some of them need to stay dead, or new people need to die to replace them if they revert time, or else what's the point? There are no stakes if everyone makes it out safely, and screw them if they're gonna reverse time and make it like it all never happened. That's a cop out and I hate when stories end that way.

7. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

Quill's reaction makes perfect sense if you keep in mind his character. He's someone that doesn't like to genuinely express his emotions, was bullied in school, saw his mother waste away then die, was kidnapped and subsequently threatened into what amounts to space piracy, spent his life under the thumb of somebody who threatened him daily, finally gets a team of people he cares about after a lifetime of social near-solitude, meets his father and is subsequently informed about the fact that not only is he the latest in a long line of his father's children but also that his father killed his mother, and he subsequently loses the only other father figure in his life. And then to top it all off one of the few people he has learned to put his faith and trust in he not only is unable to honor her last wish, but finds out she died and he couldn't have done anything to save her. Really, it's a wonder he was as stable as he was. Is his reaction to findout gamora's death reasonable? No. Is it understandable? Yes.

Also on an unrelated note: basic military strategy is DON'T GET FLANKED. Not to mention if all them weird animal aliens went to the other side of the barrier and ran into the city, they would have spread their forces too thin trying to contain it and probably lose too many in the process.

Also also: Wanda leaving vision makes sense if you consider nobody thought anybody had snuck behind their line. Adding firepower seemed like the right decision since they were about to lose their front line.

Also also also: in 14 million futures, losing half of all life in the universe is the "good" option to Strange. Which means any of the futures where mantis or somebody could have stopped Quill long enough to get the glove off would have been much, much worse than that. Given that I've seen Strange in the comics bail on a similarly high-scale choice. . .

Kitty likes this.
  8. Kitty

Absolutely, his reaction was in character. It's understandable that finding out a loved one was killed would make someone flip out. Doesn't mean it was a smart choice given the situation they were in. Besides ruining the plan, he could have gotten a lot of other people killed.

Didn't seem like they were able to make it through the barrier quickly enough to turn into a problem that they couldn't handle. In theory I think T'challa probably had the right idea. In practice, I feel like he let far too many in and got overwhelmed. I don't see much difference in getting outflanked and beaten from behind and getting steamrolled to your face. You're losing either way. *shrugs*

The whole reason for being there was to get the stone out of Vision and destroy it. Wanda leaving her post endangered the plan. If Thanos got his hands on all of the stones, it wouldn't matter who died on the battlefield or how much Wakanda was destroyed.

I agree. I don't think that gives Quill a pass, though.

I wonder if Thanos will be the one to undo everything. He already seems to have guilt/grief over Gamora's death. Maybe he will find that his plan wasn't so great after all and use the time stone to revert things back to how they were. That might explain why Strange handed it over so easily.