• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Utada Hikaru's KHIII Theme Song

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts 3' started by me4lingual, Feb 10, 2018.

1. me4lingual

me4lingual Active Member

me4lingual submitted a new blog post

Utada Hikaru's KHIII Theme Song
    [​IMG]

Despite events in the past suggesting that the songstress that brought us to tears with the songs "Simple and Clean" and "Sanctuary" won't be returning for future games, Utada Hikaru and Disney/Square Enix have come together once again for the theme song of Kingdom Hearts III. The song is titled "Don't Think Twice" and although it is just a short clip, it fits in beautifully with the scenes of the game. To watch the video for yourself, read on for more!
    "Don't Think Twice" by Utada Hikaru

Kingdom Hearts III Theme Song

[embed]

And here are the lyrics featured in the song.
    How did I live in a kingdom of thieves,

and people who say things they don't really mean, really mean. Oh...

You're only everything I ever dreamed, ever dreamed of, ever dreamed of

You must be kidding me did you really think I could say no.

I want you for a lifetime,

so if you're gonna think twice, baby

I don't wanna know, baby, I don't wanna know

Everything is just fine, but if you're gonna think twice, baby,

I don't wanna know, baby, I don't wanna know.

Along with the video featuring the song and clips from the game, it also includes a short scene with Riku and Mickey on the shore of a beach. Riku stabs his Keyblade into the sand and says that he doesn't need it any longer. Instead, he says that the other him may need it, and walks away with Mickey standing there in awe over what just happened.

But more importantly, the song! Utada Hikaru's "Don't Think Twice" joins "Simple and Clean", "Sanctuary", and the several remixed version of "Simple and Clean" that have been a pivotal part of the games. I will include the original versions featured on Utada's YouTubeVEVO channel, because in my opinion, they are better. But you can always search the Kingdom Hearts games versions on your own.

What are your thoughts on Utada Hikaru's song for Kingdom Hearts III? Let us know in the comments section below, or on our forums site!

Desert Warrior and Kitty like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Utada's father already said she was going to be in KH3, which I felt. They absolutely needed her for this title instead of remixing the same songs for the 100th time. The Monster Inc leak was true so I'm not surprised Square showed that off. New cactus Keyblade. I already called that Vanitas was one of the 13 darknesses. Mickey and Riku are sporting new outfits. KH3 is clearly split between Sora, Riku and possibly Kairi. I don't get what Riku was saying by the other me. Either its a time travel thing, he could be talking about his Ansem side, maybe he has a nobody or possibly he's talking about Riku Replica. It's hard to tell at this point.

3. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Hmmm... Well, the song is a great piece by Utada Hikaru, as per usual with her work for the series. However, I'm not quite feeling it in the trailer, as far as if it'll be the song playing over the opening movie of the game (if they're going to keep to using one). As it is, it feels a bit down pace; I hope that they'll have it redone at a brighter tempo for when it features in game.

Anyone else agree that Riku's designed is basically just a pallet change of Noctis from FFXV? I mean, I like the general look as far as the hair style, and facial structure, and his overall build. But damn, that outfit doesn't become him.

4. Angel

Yeah, it'll be a nice ending but opener. It's not as good as simple and clean / sanctuary. I think you can really tell the gap in time when comparing simple and clean / sanctuary to this song.

On Riku's outfit, all of Nomura's costumes for characters generally have a likeness since well he designed them. But I think it has a distinctness to it. With the V-Neck and rolled up pant leg and those iconic checker patterns.

5. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I don't like this song very much. Maybe it will have a remix that appeals to me more, but as is, it doesn't make me think Kingdom Hearts. It also doesn't have much oomph when compared to Simple and Clean. *shrugs*

Agreed with Angel that Nomura's character designs all look the same. Riku's redesign will probably be fine once I get used to it.

6. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Personally I'm loving the song. It sounds quite fitting to end the saga with (Honestly it sounds fitting to end all of KH with, but we know that the series won't end after 3). I just wish that a full version of the song was available already.

Agreed. While there are some issues with having her father as her manager, I am so glad we get another song from her. I love Simple and Clean but damn did it feel like it got overused.

Honestly though, who didn't? I feel that DDD made it obvious that Vanitas would be one, and this only further strengthens the idea that Repliku will be one.

I actually completely forgot that 0.2 ended with Yen Sid giving Mickey and Riku new outfits. I am glad to see the change though.

Based on other people's opinions I've seen online, the general consensus seems to be either he is referring to Repliku or it has to do with the time travel aspect and he's referring to himself when he was in the darkness in the past.

To be fair guys, this one is clearly the version that plays once you've beaten the game. There will definitely be a more upbeat/higher tempo remix that plays when we all fire the game up for the first time.

7. Kitty

You have a point. Maybe it's just that I don't think it goes very well with the trailer. Hmm. The song doesn't grab me in the way Simple and Clean did, but maybe that will change with the full version of the song and/or a remix.

8. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I'm not too fond of the song either. Although I was one of the few who just wanted a new song in general since KH2, whether it was hers or not, soooo at least it's not a remix?

Kitty likes this.
  9. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I love the new song honestly. Like @Desert Warrior said it just fits as a conclusion to KH3 and I think it does its job perfectly. I'm glad she did one for 3, it wouldn't be the same without her.

10. Angel

Yes, the song is okay but all her songs are this kind of tempo now. Check out her Vevo. It's so different from 10 years ago or 5 years ago. I also find it funny that. She left the game because of her music and translating her songs to English and wanting to be paid more were the main reasons she left. Look just how much money talks and she's back translating to English.

11. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

It fits, I just dont care for it personally. It's not bad though, at least it's new. I've heard remixes for so long I would've been happy with anything new. I dont really get the fan need for her to make the song myself but eh, at least it gives folks hype.

One of my fave comments on it yet was tumblr about how an Japanese-american is making a song for a series that's a mix of japanese and american series'.

Kitty likes this.
  12. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

I like the song, but I prefer the Japanese version for the title and lyrics.

13. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, I'm curious how many people don't like this one because of how used they are to Simple & Clean and Sanctuary. Thinking back, I remember that way back when KH2 came out I initially didn't like Sanctuary compared to Simple & Clean. I don't really remember my reasoning for it, only that it was sometime later that I liked it more to the point where I flip between which one I currently prefer.

I mean, it's kinda a tradition at this point? Admittedly the cynic would point out that it's more of a tradition to have some variant of Simple & Clean be the song to play, but I digress. It's always been a Hikaru song playing during the start of any KH game so it would make sense to want her to have a song for KH3 as well.

14. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I dunno, I guess I never really understood it. Granted, I am glad it's at least something new.

15. Kitty

That could be. I didn't like Sanctuary much, either, and it grew on me over time (although Simple and Clean is still best in my opinion). So you might be onto something.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  16. me4lingual

me4lingual Active Member

My favorite English version is "Don't Think Twice", while my favorite Japanese version is "Sanctuary" ( a.k.a. "Passion"). With "Don't Think Twice", while the lyrics are probably more geared toward love and relationships, it could also be interpreted to not second guessing yourself when it comes to your decisions in life or in KHIII's case, saving the worlds from the power of darkness.

As for "Sanctuary", the Japanese just seemed to flow better than the English, in my opinion. While both versions are amazing, I simply liked the Japanese more.