• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Triple Triad

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy VIII' started by EtherealSummoner, Jan 8, 2013.

1. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

[​IMG]

Did anyone like this game? I did, especially when I was playing it at the very beginning at the town of Balamb. I was receiving a lot of cards. But... then there are the Triple Triad rules and I do not even like most of them. I place a card, thinking that I win and then my opponent place a card and he/she somehow flip most of my cards and I lose... especially my rarest of cards. Your thoughts?

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I loved Triple Triad so much. The amount of hours I spent playing this game is truly pathetic, and proves how much I absolutely had no life. XD

The music got old really quick, and some of the rules (random, damn you!) must die, but I loved trying to collect each of the cards and battling was a lot of fun to me. It's probably the best minigame in the series, that I've played. Only FF IX's Chocobo Hot and Cold comes close.

3. xxxJRosesxxx

xxxJRosesxxx New Member

I've never heard of this game before? Is it an RPG? Does it have a narrative? Do you think I'd like it?

4. Kitty

I'm not sure if you mean you haven't heard of Triple Triad, or you haven't heard of Final Fantasy VIII. o_O

Triple Triad is a playing card-using mini game inside Final Fantasy VIII. You collect cards by winning them, or using a special ability to change monsters into cards, and I think there might have been a couple you won as prizes for defeating bosses, though I can't quite remember. They have numbers for all four sides (or the letter A, which is the highest value), and you place them on the board and try to flip your opponents' cards by having a higher number than theirs. Whoever flips the most cards wins, and sometimes you win a card, sometimes you win any you flip over and lose any your opponent flipped, and sometimes you win or lose entire decks. It's incredibly addicting.

This is one such card: [​IMG]

Final Fantasy VIII is an RPG that came out for the PS 1 in 1999 about a mercenary school and sorceresses and time travel and shit, starring Kingdom Hearts' Leon, though he goes by his actual name of Squall Leonhart here. It's pretty awesome but a little bit full of plot holes. It was still my favorite game for a long time, though, and I still have a major soft spot for it, even though it's been a few years since I played it. Also, a lot of people hate this game because it wasn't anything like FF VII, which has massive amounts of fanboys. A lot of people also hate the gameplay, but it never really bothered me.

Hope that answers your questions. ^_^

5. xxxJRosesxxx

xxxJRosesxxx New Member

Well I feel like a doof, I didn't realize I was in the Final Fantasy section! XD I've only played one of the games before, and have little to no familarity with them. Me sorry! Wrong choice of word on purpose to sound cute!

6. Kitty

^ Heh, no problem.

So, for anyone who's played the game, who did you hate playing against the most? I think I hated playing Ellone for Laguna's card the most. The lunar base had the crappiest set of rules, and sometimes I could find a way to get rid of some of them, but usually it was just pure luck that I managed to actually beat her.

7. EtherealSummoner

There are websites where you can play Triple Triad too.

Launch Game | Triple Triad Extreme

Triple Triad Flash Online : Play Triple Triad

Play Triple Triad Tournament, a free online game on Kongregate

Only sites that I know where you can play Triple Triad. Pretty popular. :) And you should play more of the Final Fantasy games JRose! And screw the FFVII fans Kitty. That game should die and I am sticking to my opinion.

But anyway, I think that I have all of the cards... I think. I am not sure. I may have missed a couple. However, when I play Triple Triad, I usually play against this one person by the pier in Balamb for the strongest cards at the earliest part of the game. Was aiming to turn my cards into items in order to get Squall's strongest weapon in Disc one. Then, I usually start playing against Edea but I made sure to save my game at that time because Edea play rough. I usually play against her. Felt that she was lonely at that ruin of her home. XD

As for the people who I dislike playing against... I say Ellone too but then I switch around and say Quistis and two of her strongest people in her card group. I was very shocked when I realize that Quistis was the Card Master... and why you have to sneak up on Squall in the middle of the night when he is sleeping? :0 Took me a while to beat her but that is how I got better at the mini game.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  8. Kitty

Well. I think it's an enjoyable game, but not quite all it's hyped to be.

Every time I've ever played through VIII, I've always had to get all of the cards. Most are pretty easy to find. Some I would never have known about without a walkthrough.

Zell's mom is the character I played against the most, especially early on. Balamb's rules are easy and she usually had pretty decent cards, not counting the Zell player card. I also played against Edea some, but I'd have to be careful to save a lot and make sure to abolish random rule.

I don't remember how difficult I found Quistis. I think the most difficult of the card group for me was the Joker.

I love the idea of almost everyone on the entire planet walking around with a deck of cards in their pockets, ready to play whenever you ask, even when it's the end of the world going on.

9. Maxad

Maxad New Member

Despite Spoony bashing on it, i actually find triple triad very addicting. I even downloaded an app for it on my tablet that plays the same music and everything. XD Hate it when you lose your favorite cards, but hey it's a gamble.

10. Kitty

Spoony hated everything about FFVIII, if I remember right, so what does he know? :p

I never went so far as to download an app or play Triple Triad online, but I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours I've spent playing it within FFVIII itself. I don't know why I even found it as fun as I did. I guess part of it has to do with my being a crazy perfectionist, and having to have all of the cards, no matter how useless some of them may be. And partly to do with being able to card-mod the extra cards for awesome, useful items. But for whatever reason, it was seriously addicting.

Yeah, sometimes the odds were definitely not in my favor. But that's what kept it interesting.

11. Maxad

Maxad New Member

I actually had to wait until i found a good copy of ffviii before i could really get into it. I bought it used as a teenager and the discs were so scuffed it would go black as soon as i got to laguna in the first few hours. Thankfully i managed to get it and now i can finish the story. ^__^

12. Kitty

^ Luckily you were able to find one. I got curious to see what they were selling for and trolled ebay, and like all of the results that came up on the first page were missing a disc. What are you supposed to do with the game when Disc One is missing? :rolleyes:

To get back on topic, playing Triple Triad and using one of the GF's card mod ability really helps with getting items to upgrade weapons. Some of the items needed are a pain to get otherwise, or are harder to find early on in the game. Of course, the cards that give the best items are themselves irritating to obtain, especially when you're playing against awful rules like Random. I honestly don't know how someone could complete this quest without a walkthrough. o_O

13. Maxad

Maxad New Member

Yeah dont get me started on Random. X3 and i never completed it 100 percent but i like playing it.

14. Kitty

Possibly even worse than Random is the Direct rule where each player takes whatever cards they flip over at the end of the match. So yeah, you might win that player card you've been gunning for, but ha, you just lost a bunch of your best cards in the process. The Same and Plus rules suck pretty hard, too. I always hated when they'd spread.

If it were easy, I wouldn't enjoy it so much, but damn.

I can't help myself; I always have to try to complete everything in a game I play. Which takes forever, and I cheat a lot with walkthroughs, but whatever.

15. Mike

Mike Member

I love same/plus, I'd always stack my deck with dual equal number cards (is. X,5,5,X), or ones offset by 1 (ie. X,5,6,X) and I could almost always get a Plus combo.

Needless to say, I pretty much sunk my teen years into this game.

16. Kitty

I could deal with Same, and sometimes get it to work in my favor, but Plus? The times I scored with that one were usually by accident, and the computer always seemed to be taking advantage of it, to my shame. I don't know, I was pretty happy playing in Balamb Garden when the only rule was Open, lol.

Yeah, same here.

17. EtherealSummoner

It is fun honestly... but I do not like it when the computer somehow flips more than one of your cards somehow. It makes me struggle.