• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Traditional Showcase Competition Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kitty, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Well, y'all asked for it. I don't mind running a competition for the writers out there (only fair, since the graphics makers have one) as long as there is support for it.

But, I really have no clue how to hold it. I was thinking we could do something similar to the SotW. We could have a list of themes to choose from, I'll have a random member pick one, then everyone can submit a piece, and the forum can vote on the best one. If you enjoy poetry, you can submit a poem, if you write prose, you can submit a short story of some sort, based on the same topic. I was also thinking I'd have members PM me their submission, and I would post them all up the voting thread, to keep it anonymous and a little more fair.

I also figure it would need to be less often than weekly, since I'd think writing would take longer than making a signature.

But bah, you all give me your suggestions on what we should do, since ultimately it will be you all competing, not me. We can discuss and decide on the best format.

2. Keyblade Master Roxas

Keyblade Master Roxas Shake the Core.

I think that it should every three weeks, and at the end of the third week we can vote (Friday) we can vote for which one we like. I do think there should be rules of course since everything has rules.
    We should have topics like writing an adventure short story and a poem. What do you think about it?
    (don't stab me XD)

3. GrandShadow

GrandShadow I accept your challange.

make it once a month and yeah, have it be like write a poem, or short story. grade it on spelling, punctuation and grammer as well as how well the piece flows.

i'm all for this idea and would be an active participent.

4. Keyblade Master Roxas

I would be an active participant too. muahahahaha.
    By the way I said three months because some people might need time for there brains to flow and make a short story. It takes time. So I would keep in as three months. If you deny then it's okay I won't get all mad. ^_^

5. GrandShadow

actually you said weeks. :p

but once a month is fine, just make sure the subsequent competition is not the same as the first. for example; don't follow up a poetry contest with another poetry contest. instead each contest is different from the previous chapter.

6. Kitty

I think three months is too long. I can understand needing that much time individually to work on a piece, but that'd make the competition drag on so long that I think we'd lose interest. Once a month sounds good to me.

We could also do one-on-one battles, if you all were interested. *shrugs*

So, what are some topics for the contest? Poetry and short story have been mentioned- what else is there to choose from? Or, what about having everyone make a piece about a certain topic (say, Kingdom Hearts, for a quick example), but they could use any format (poetry, short story, play, etc) they wanted?

7. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

No, no, no. This how it should be in my opinion:

In the Traditional Showcase, there should be a competition every two-three weeks. There will also be a limit on how many people can join. The competition can have a theme or can be whatever you want. The competition will say whether if it will be a art competition, poetry or short story competition. Signatures and avatars made by photoshop and the art should only go into the digital section and not the traditional. When I say art, that means by hands.

Once the limit has been reached (Or if three to five days the max limit hasn't been reached) the voting will then start and people will decide on which poem, art or short story is the best (NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE YOUR FRIENDS!!!). Also, please explain why you decided to pick that person's art, story or poetry. The winner will have their thing posted and most likely will get a rep. Second place and third might get a consolation prize or nothing at all (Rare. Might be death.).

8. GrandShadow

yeah that would work. and summonrs suggestion of hand-made art works too. so when should the first competition be held? use kingdom hearts as the first topic just to kick things off and then have the winner chose theme for the next contest.

9. Kitty

This should be a given. Everyone knows digital art has its own area. But is there any interest in an art contest? I didn't think we had many traditional artists.

I think that would discourage people from entering. I don't think anyone should be turned away.

This is why I would prefer people to PM me their entries, and I will submit them anonymously for voting. I think that is the fairest way.

I don't have a problem rep'ing the winner, if you all think that is a suitable prize. I know my reps don't count as much as some others do. And we could have a hall of fame thread to showcase the winners.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I missed your post. >_< I could start the first competition whenever. I think we should stick with just written entries for now. We could do a separate art contest later, if people are interested in that.

Any more suggestions to add?

EDIT 2: Feel free to suggest some topics to choose from, if you want to go the 'Chosen topic, free choice of style' route.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  10. Keyblade Master Roxas

I think I'm gonna love this competition ^_^

11. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

I can do art myself so I'm a traditional artist. I think Nozomi is one too along with x3pic. Anyways, you might as well ask Raiden and Nozomi about this idea.

12. Keyblade Master Roxas

I just think since this is the traditional art and most of the people here do writing, we should just stay with writing. Though I do think your idea is good.

13. Kitty

Why would we need to ask? It doesn't have anything to do with them, unless they choose to compete. We've never needed permission to hold SotWs. This is the same deal.

If you can round up enough people, I don't see a problem with a separate art contest. My opinion is that this should stay a writing contest for now, since writing seems to have the most participants.

I'll put up the first contest thread some time tomorrow- I want to give people who haven't voiced their opinions in here yet a chance to do so.

14. Overdose

Overdose Ninja.V

Personally I think there should be one writing one held every month or perhaps shorter. The competition has a theme similar to SOTW. With this theme, a set word limit is given. Therefore people who judge will not have to read huge amounts, also if alot of people are competing too.

Maybe we could include a task, such as 'must include mentioning of a hair brush' or something random like that.

As for the traditional 'artistic' piece such as drawings. Same thing, themed and maybe atleast every two weeks depending on how many people take part.

15. VentusSearcher

VentusSearcher Steam is the only way....

I think this could work. I think it should be held ever 2 weeks. Each compitition should have a theme and have a surtain amount of word's you can write.

16. Kitty

Good idea, I like this. I wish people would start suggesting some tasks or themes, though.

How many words do you all think is fair to limit each piece to? At first I was thinking 500, but then I thought that might not be enough. Thoughts?

17. VentusSearcher

VentusSearcher Steam is the only way....

Personaly I think 1000 would be best. It's not too much and not too little.

18. GrandShadow

i agree. 500 is smaller than most people think. 500 is just a decent length paragraph

19. Kitty

Contest no 1 is now up. It will last for three weeks. I went with a 1000 word limit, though I won't be that strict on it.

20. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

Personally, I enjoy writing in every form, though I suck at Haiku. lolz :p

As for themes, perhaps things aiming toward emotions would be too difficult for some. Fantasy, romance, or perhaps seasonal poetry.

Maybe something like...a general subject. And as for the mentioning of objects, that I really like. It's something I wouldn't have thought of. Focusing on including objects could motivate the entrants to give meaning to said object. Hell, my mind is racing with ideas.

My opinion so far; Great job Toph, and to all those giving ideas. This will no doubt be a fantastic addition to the forums.