• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Throwdown (Wayward, Kurai, Requiem & Desert Warrior

Discussion in 'Roleplay Arena' started by Become, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I was going to send a PM out for this thread, but I figured it would be best to just make a thread and use the first bit of it to decide what we're going to do. That being said, we've just got a few decisions to make before actually post up CSs and get the battle going.

1) Do we want to do a 2vs2 or a four-way? I know we, for the most part, probably don't care so much. But if there's one you prefer over the other, speak now. I'm thinking the team split would be randomized.

2) Where is our cap for power tier going to fall? I'm thinking a Tier 4 or Tier 5 (see the new rules thread for the breakdown) would be sufficient though I'd prefer Tier 4 if we do a free for all.

3) What should our setting be? We can, of course, agree on this after we've gotten everything else figured out.

2. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

1) 2v2 are fun, usually. Free-for alls usually turn into temporary alliances, it seems like.

2) Sinna or Yewon (seen HERE) would probably be my character of choice. I have a number of characters in the works right now that would suffice if this weren't sufficient.

3) As for setting. . . We could try something akin to the Clash of Resonant Hearts thread, with a raid or invasion of some locale.

3. Become

Yeah. I suppose you're right. Free for alls almost always turn into team battles one way or another, even if inadvertently. I'd probably pull out Vance for this one, or otherwise reuse something different. But I'd rather not set it in something so messy as an actual siege/invasion/military battle. I was thinking just a pure old city fight or something.

4. 1.)It seems like you both have more experience with the matter than I do, because I hadn't even considered the free-for-all degrading into alliances. In light of that, I vote for 2v2.

2.)To be honest, I would prefer to play tier 4, though I would be okay with playing tier 5 as well if the majority wanted it.

3.)Something in between all-out siege and plain-old city battle would be nice. There doesn't necessarily have to be any NPCs, but some sort of special feature would be nice. Though, I suppose one could be created during the course of the roleplay, like the sandstorm in Back to the Field of Battle.

Question: Is this battle omniversal? I'm assuming it is, but I just want to be sure.

5. Become

Most free for alls I've seen usually end up boiling down to teams, though those are usually massive ones comprising of about ten players.

6. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

So then, the setting will be what?

7. Become

I'm leaning towards something urban (somewhat). But I'm still waiting for Reprise to put their thoughts in.

As for character tier, I'm thinking 5 if team battle, and 4 if its gonna be a free-for-all.

8. This sounds good to me as well.

I agree that a city/urban setting would be good for the basic premise. However, I would like there to be some interesting feature about the battlefield (as I stated above), preferably one that will allow the players to take advantage of it.

The first thing that comes to mind is a city that was recently sacked by a powerful group of mages. After killing and enslaving the inhabitants, they moved on, leaving the decrepit city behind them. Here's the "interesting feature:" the magic used to sack the city was so powerful that pockets of mana still reside around the town, just begging to be tapped into. A certain amount of times per battle (likely once or twice), a character could use a pocket of mana to give a small power boost to one of their attack abilities. Alternatively, the mages could have booby trapped the town in case some survivors tried to retake it. They would operate similarly to the mana pockets but instead of boosting an ability, it creates an obstacle for the opponent (volley of poison darts, false floor traps, etc.)

Thoughts? Again, this is just the first thing that came to mind, the goal is more to get peoples' creativity flowing.

9. Become

We could then do a mages vs. travelers/liberators battle.

10. I'd be okay with this in theory, but having mages be half of the battle would sort of take away from the "melee-focused" aspect of the arena. Not saying that's a bad thing, just noting it.

11. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

Apologies for the late notice, but I'd like to pull out of this. School is starting again and I simply won't have time to post frequently in this as well as Dominion. You will be able to find a replacement, won't you?

12. Become

I'm sorry to hear. Best wishes. Hopefully we can have you another time. We do have a replacement we can bring in.

13. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

And I suppose I'm that replacement. So here are my thoughts on things.

I like the idea of fighting in a ruined city. If it is just us fighting, then I think it would be better as just us. The mages vs. liberators battle would work better if we had multiple characters each at our disposal. Bit if it is one character per person, then I think the battle would work better if it was just the four combatants.

Personally I would prefer tier 5 characters. Tier 4 or tier 5, either way I don't have a character at this moment. So it'll be easier to make up a character once the tier is decided.

And if it boils down to a team battle, what happens when one team wins? Does the fight end or does the team fight against itself?

14. Become

My thoughts on a team battle: one team wins when both members on other team have been defeated.

If we're all agreed on a team battle I'll ge them drawn and we can start collaborating on our characters.

15. So, the tally on votes for team vs. free-for all seems to be:

Requiem and I: Team Battle
    Wayward and DW: Undecided/Impartial

It looks to me that we'll be doing a team battle, unless Wayward and DW are both opposed.

Then on the Tier 5 vs. 4 thing:

Me: Tier 4
    DW and Requiem (assuming Sinna and Yewon are tier 5): Tier 5
    Wayward (assuming we're playing a 2v2): Undecided/Impartial

So it looks like we're going Tier 5.

About what happens when a team wins: I am strongly against having the teammates fight each other once they win.

As for the setting, it looks like "ruined city" is agreed on but "mages vs. liberators" is not. At least, that's what I've gathered, not quite sure what you meant with your last post, DW. Personally, I'm pretty impartial as to whether or not the mage vs. liberators thing is used, it was just an idea.

16. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a mage vs. liberator fight as having more than a few mages. If we go a team battle route and each of us had one character at our disposal that that would be 2 mages defending an entire city, or at least what remains of a city. Ignoring whatever reason there is for defending the place, 2 individuals is not enough people to defend, nor is 2 individuals enough for attacking. Does that make any sense?

17. Yes, I understand, thank you for clarifying. When I suggested the setting in the first place, I didn't have the "mages vs. liberators" theme in mind, I was just creating an arena. I figured we'd make unique characters regardless of the setting. Though, if it were to be mages vs. liberators, I could see it as less of an all-out siege/retaking (as I believe you are imagining) and more of a grudge match between past combatants. The mages and the liberators have come back to the city to reminisce or maybe specifically to duel and they fight due to lingering hatreds. A crowded scene could be interesting as well, though I'd be hesitant to have each player control multiple characters (unless it was essentially the "special feature" of the arena, and therefor limited to a small amount of uses).

Ah, I forgot to say, welcome to the battle DW (or, welcome back).

18. Become

OK. I just need everyone to confirm that the following has all been agreed upon:

- Team Battle (2-vs-2)
    - Teir 5 Characters (Melee weaponry)
    - Set in a ruined/semi-ruined city that holds useable pockets of lingering magic/mana for combatants to use (I'm thinking twice each over the course of the battle).
    - One team wins when the other team has been completely defeated or incapcitated.

Are we all going to want a judge?

19. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

By "Melee weaponry" I assume you don't want Sinna and her explosiveness?

20. Become

Mostly I was thinking no guns really.