• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Short Story Competition?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Destiny, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Hey guys, so I've been seeing many people show up and begin writing many great stories again. So what I want to know is if there should be a friendly little competition. A competition on short stories.

This competition would probably be done say the first week of every month with submissions, the next week I(or whoever else) will check over it, then the third week would be voting on favorite short story by the members(those that aren't eliminated for grammatical mistakes) and then a winner will be crowned and the short story will be posted in a Hall of Fame thread.

What is your opinion of this, you up for the challenge?

2. Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa New Member

It should be entertaining to observe. There's no reason to think it wouldn't be a good idea. I say try it.

3. Napoléon

Napoléon Kuroko Fangirl

As long as we've got a month before needing to repost a new short story (Or atleast three weeks to meet the dealine) then I'd actually do it. I love writing, however, I've never posted any of my work on the forum; mainly because it would falter compaired to some of the brilliant stories already on here (;

But yeah, I think it would be a great idea that can help possibly improve a persons writing technique. And it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, so I say why not? You'd atleast get one person who'd post for it. By one person I mean me (;

4. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Make it two weeks. -_- As long as we have people who will attemmpt to participate, that is fine with me.

5. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Doesn't work with only one person posting for it, as I've found out through personal experience.

I say go for it if you want to put in the work, but don't expect it to go anywhere, rather like the short story contest that was supposed to feature the top stories on the main page. Never did anything with that, I believe?

6. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Yeah, I was upset when I recieved only one entry in which really needed a grammar and spell check. Seeing though more writers pop up, I figure I could give it a try again. I though want to see at least 4 or 5 people interested in doing this before it happens

7. Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa New Member

I will enter. However, my submission will be the first installment/episode in the Supernatural: Birth by Sleep series. I'm not entirely sure that, genre-wise, you could count it as a short story.

Due to my schedule though, I cannot make a submission until Dec. 24.

8. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Well I would say for short story it contains every important detail of a plot, i.e. the introduction to plot, climax, a point before the plot is resolved by the end of the climax(I feel really stupid for forgetting what it's called), falling action, and of course conclusion. However it's not 9 million pages in microsoft word.

9. Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa New Member

Your definition for a short story is very broad. Assuming my fanfic is episodic in structure, which it is, I think it'll fit.

10. Destiny

Destiny Guest

hmm it sort of is, basically I have not word limit, I would though try to stay 12 font calibi in microsoft word maybe 3-4 pages long. If it's set up like how you say, a chapter/episode should work then

11. Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa New Member

Three to four pages? By short story, I thought you meant more like thirty to forty pages. Eh, I'm going to write it anyway. You can judge its character once it's created.

12. Blade

Blade Heroes Have One or Two

Well, this sounds like fun. It'll give me some time to ease out of my writer's block on the KH Accidents series.

13. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Not that long, like you know in English class or Reading class in elementary school, the length of the stories we read then, which I believe the most I've read was mayb 10 pages? plus there's the problem of a limit for in a PM.

That will be great Blade.

If each of you who have replied truly take part in this, we should have enough giving guess more will want to get involved. I will not be starting it until next month, and definately the first theme will be kingdom hearts

14. DESTATI

DESTATI New Member

But, of course! Although, do you mind if I slip in some poetry? Writing is writing, but language most beautifully written is poetry.

Actually, that might be unfair. My poetry may be too good! :)

Have to give you guys some chance at winning!

No, I'm of course only joking, but still: beware of syntactical inversion and highly constructed metaphorical relations!

15. Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa New Member

Wow. Nostalgia blast! Elementary school was sooooooooo long ago. I remember those little stories!

16. iAqua

iAqua New Member

Gosh... I can't believed I actually missed this!

... Oh. It was just yesterday. But oh well, you'll have another participant... And a really interested participant, if I must say so... Interested enough to sneak on the computer at 2am (Reminds me of that Korean boy band XD) just to type out a response to show interest!

Though, maybe it might be more specific to say a minimum number of words to have in the short story? And just curiosity... What if, and I mean what if, somehow... The short story turns out to be like what Lacrimosa thought... Uh, 30 pages and all... It won't get rejected... Or will it?

And yes! I do have an idea for the first theme already, so yeah. There will be more details coming along right? Gosh. Gosh.

COME ON PEOPLE, JOIN! XDXDXDXD

RAWR :D Tch, Destiny! You have just made it hard for me to sleep, haha.

17. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Sorry ^^

Well seeing as you'll have to submit through a PM, it has to fit in a pm. I'll double check how many characters are allowed in a PM, that will be the max. I was going to wait to make the first official thread next week, but I'll make it probablytomorrow. First theme definately Kingdom Hearts(or christmas, which one do you think?)

18. Napoléon

Napoléon Kuroko Fangirl

So we're typing up our story in a pm? I was wondering for now are you the only staff member that the short story would be sent to?

Sounds like a good idea making the official thread tomorrow, mind you I wouldn't be able to start working on it until Thursday since I've been bombarded with tests and assignments. Which brings up my other question as to how long do we have to get our entries in? And personally I'd prefer starting with Kingdom Hearts as the topic, since we've still got over a month until Christmas is upon us. However, maybe a Christmas Kingdom Hearts story would be a neat spin :)

19. Destiny

Destiny Guest

It would be sent to me, and not typed up in a PM, just can fit in a PM. And I'd say entries are due the 11 so I can start personally reviewing all the entry for basic grammar mistakes to do a basic point system out of 10 (I'll explain more with the thread tomorrow) and then 18-31 voting, and on January 1, the winner will be decided and the next month thread will be made

EDIT, it's officially up and running

20. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Important notice. Due to the 5000 character limit of a short story, it is extended to as long as you please, but no longer that 5 pages on Microsoft word and the font must be 12, no smaller.

Submission will be emailed to me and you can find my email on my profile(just click the msn im logo)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.