• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Roleplay Rules and Guidelines (Condensed Rules at top)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Destiny, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Destiny

Destiny Guest

This topic's purpose is to make known just what the main rules of the roleplay here are. Those that have any questions about the roleplay can ask them here to get some answers. I or another staff member will also let everyone know in this topic if the rules have been changed or updated. Now then, on to the rules themselves.

Condensed Rules and Directory

1.) You MUST have a profile in order to join an RP.
    2.) If you want to create an RP, you must post an Sign-Ups/Out Of Character thread in the main Roleplay area.
    3.) Decent grammar is both respected and necessary.
    4.) No controlling other people's characters.
    5.) Some roleplays have different rules than normal. If you don't like them, then don't join.
    6.) No invincible characters.
    7.) THREE LINES IN A POST, MINIMUM.
    8.) The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
    9.) All RPs must have a rating. (M, PG-13, NC-17)
    10.) No Mary Sues. See below.
    11.) If a thread has not been posted in for two months, then it is declared dead and posting on it is illegal.
    12.) Keep out of character posts in the SU/OOC thread.
    13.) Don't post everytime somebody else does.
    14.) If somebody else posts right before you, you must edit your post to match.
    15.) None of that "I'll post my app later" stuff.

Original RP's = Made for role plays that are not based off any anime or game its a orginal idea.

Cannon ROLPLAYS= Made for Roleplays that are based of games anime tv ETC..

MAIN RP SECTION...: MADE FOR sign ups and rp chat NOT IDLE RP CHAT ....it leads to spam. what i mean is. if you want to make a announcement like ( anyone wana help with a mega man rp) and you discuss it there. and rp sign ups are here if your not going to do that then im going to move them.

Sorry for my anger but this just bothers me

And now for being in depth.

1.) Character Profiles - Before you start roleplaying you must have a roleplay character. You can create a roleplay character in the profiles subforum, be sure to read the guidelines there. Also, members must provide a link to their characters. It is generally accepted to have them in your signature, but you can have your link in a post. The former is easier, but to each his own.

2.) Creating a Roleplay - Members must create an OOC topic before roleplaying. OOC stands for Out of Character, which is also what people use to speak in a roleplay. For example...

OOC: Your RP skillz are mad cool playa. REPRESENT!

Now, if anyone actually talks like that I will hurt you. But you understand what I mean. As for an OOC topic, every roleplay must have one. The OOC topic is to explain what your roleplay is about. Races, background history, storyline, that sort of thing. This is also the place for people to join your RP and talk about it or ask questions. If a member starts a roleplay without an OOC you will be asked to make one.

3.) Proper Grammar - This is not overly complicated. Correct grammar is expected. Everyone makes the common mistake. Spacing a word wrong, a letter in a wrong place, that sort of thing. Just make sure overall your words are spelled correctly and use proper sentences. Be sure to doube space when you start a new paragraph. None of us here are expecting people to use complicated large words.

Captalize words you know need captalize like I, names, languages, and the begining of sentances. Spell as much as possible. Spell correctly what you know, try your hardest for ones you don't. Check it if you know it's way off. Oh and try to use the right word. examples...

He started righting~ it should be write

What was she whereing~ it should wearing

Their at the market~ it should be they're.-- there, their, and they're are hard, they're you should always get right because if it makes sence and sounds right as they are, it's they're. Most people understand if you mess up there and their. There is usually a place though and their usually is a belonging...

There she was

They're at the market​

Their clothes​

Oh, and NEVER USE TEXTING FORMAT!!!! Don't do shortening of words or/ like wth, lol, jk, so on in IC, it's ok most of the time in OOC's. Again don't lower case I.

Punuctation is a biggie, always end sentences with the right ending. Like questions have a question mark, periods regular sentence. Also jazz up sentences with the exclamation mark...

cool.​

cool!​

Which one seems more exciting? Choice 2. They really add character to your character.​

4.) Autoing (Power Playing) - This is one of numerous technical terms in roleplaying. Autoing is when someone control's some one else's characters actions. Some people will become enraged if you do so little s having their character turn to acknowledge your character. Others have no problem with it.

Because there are many varying opinions to autoing, it is allowed but only to a certain degree. It is up to each member for what they want. If you wonder if a member would let you auto their character ask them in an OOC topic or PM them. Everyone's opinions are to be recognized, if someone does not want their character to be autoed, do not auto them. Most people don't mind so long as nothing major is autoed that can affect the story or the character. Please be sure to check with your fellow members.

Power playing is when you take over someone's character. It could be for the smallest of smallest things like making someone else jump, puzzled, so on. Now I realise for a lot of this we're all guilty, I'm even guilty of this. So I want to make this a goal for everyone that we proof read our posts and get rid of any power playing in our posts.

5.) Seperate Roleplay Topic Rules - Some members may have certain stipulations in their own roleplay. It could vary from urging members to post more than just the minimum to now allowing technology in the roleplay, so someone's character may not be able to use their gun. These are to be respected to those who participate in those roleplays. However, to the roleplay creators, don't go overboard just because you have some power with the rules you make. Saying something like posts must be a 5000 words minimum or disallowing certain people from participating...that's not going to fly.

6.) God Modding - Another technical term. God modding is basically having an all powerful character. These sorts of characters are not allowed. There have been known to be characters with quite some significant power which I prefer to personally review before allowing. All powerful characters are sorts that can kill a powerful enemy in one hit, destroy entire cities, solve any puzzle or riddle without even trying, etc. If I see any of this, you will have to change it or everyone else will pretend it did not happen. If such a thing continues, warnings will be issued.

God-modding is when you go and make yoru character all powerful and undefetable. Now many people are guilty of this, this one I don't traget it a whole lot, but now and then it get's real bad and I have to target it. There's only a few ways you can get away with nasty RP crime, they're listed below...

1.) If the creator of the RP says you're allowed to God-Mod then you can do it

2.) If it's needed for the plot

3.) If you have a weakness or something for the all extreme power

That's the only way you can God-Mod. Like above again though, make sure you proof read all your posts.

7.) Post Minimum - This is due to one liner RP posts I have seen over the years. Under no circumstances should there ever be a one liner in a roleplay. The RP post minimum here is three lines. That is not very hard to ask and is the bare minimum. If I see a one liner in a roleplay it will be deleted. There is always something to think of for you to bring up for your character. Having your character speak is not always necessary, some of the most thought provoking posts come from your character not speaking one word.

8.) Respect - While there are seperate rules for the roleplay, the forum rules are upheld everywhere. Respect is especially true. Everyone has different opinions, there have been known to be some very heated debates about roleplaying even. The members are to be respectful to eachother's opinions. Also, if there is a new roleplayer starting out, do not berate him because he is not as experienced. Lack of respect for one another will not be tolerated.

9.) Rating - Since there are young and old audiences in the forums, please post your rating, i.e. Rated M, PG, E, PG-13, etc., when you are making your roleplay. Since we all have ideas and I love the freedom of speech, you can use profanity, but please remember that we have younger users reading the role play too, even if they don't join. So if you are going into detail with your love scene, please somewhere in there, post a rating, so some of the members can skip through.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them here. Also if there are issues you feel should be brought up and made into rules, I'm free to hear them. I want to make sure everyone has fun roleplaying here, so these rules are pretty basic to make sure everyone is treated equally and fairly. Better yet, don't go over detailed on your love scenes in the public. If you feel that you must go detailed, PM it. That goes the same for detail in gore, carnage, or something like that too.

10.)NO MARY-SUES!

This rule must be addressed and I don't think I can stress this enough! I'm not saying we are at Mary Sue hell right now but other sites do point this out very strongly and I think it's time that we made this a rule here too. Mary Sues ruin RPs all the time and it's not like their creators meant to do it it's just that their strive to be on top all the time kind of makes it happen.
    Follow these links to see what a Mary Sue is and how to tell if your character is one:
    Mary Sue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Universal Mary-Sue Litmus Test

11.) Thread Necromancy/Necroposting

If a thread is bumped (After two months), the term for this is Necroposting. ANY RP thread that has no POST in TWO MONTHS (61 days) will be CLOSED. This is will to reduce bumping and spam.

If you are the owner of the RP and are going away for more than a month or so, please contact an admin or mod, and one of us will temp close your RP. In event of one of you members dropping off the face of the earth, also contact an admin to temporarily close it.

Otherwise, it will be closed and move. Thank You!

12.) OOC's

Now recently I had an arguement pop up about this one. OOC's or Out of Character is when you post well out of character in the IC(In Character) Thread. Now the arguement that sparked up was about using an OOC post with and IC post. Like below...

Something Like that is allowed. Nothing like this is though...

Something like that is not allowed.

13.) Machine Gun/Gatling Posting

Machine gun posting is posting everytime someone else does, even if their post is unrelated. It's quite simply rude and obnoxious to do so, and it excludes other players. Also, nobody likes reading eight pages of crap posting. Although, in the case of when you and someone else are the only people in an RP or everybody else has LOST INTEREST (Say, a period of two weeks without posting), then you can. Also, don't post RIGHT FREAKING AFTER somebody else does. Give it a bit of time (Like say, ten or twenty minutes).

Another thing - Just because a person isn't on doesn't mean you can abandon them mid-conversation for somebody who is online. Say X is talking to Y, and Y's player isn't online. X can't just jump to Z and abandon Y. It's completely rude!

14.) Post Timing

If somebody posts even a second before you and you post without seeing it, then you HAVE to edit your post to fit. Bar none.

15.) SU Spam?

You heard me. None of that "Oh, I'll post my app tomorrow/soon" stuff. I won't stand for it!

Postholder is postholder.

Any questions, comments, and concerns, feel free to talk to the RP Mod

FAQ's

Have a question about RP'ing? PM the RP Mods!

Below are good questions received.

A:
    When posting in First Person (the I, we, so on) it's harder for other people to go along with it, after a while it'll get confusing. Plus when to speak to a certain person it's kind of hard to do so because they can't see what their character's name is and which character is talking and doing something when the person who post has more then one charcater.

In role plays your going through the events as a present you should be posting with present forms now and then will and should be posting with past tense or future tense form.​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Destiny

Destiny Guest

RP Section Map

For whatever weird reason, I keep getting people PM/VM'ing me asking what each section is for and whatnot. Below is the map to the RP section.

Kingdom Hearts Forums > Creative Lounge > Roleplay >

Roleplay- this is your main section. Here you find your Out of Character(OOC) threads which is where you sign up. If you have an interest in a new RP, you will post the thread for it here. In this section that should be THE ONLY thing you should find(and of course these rules).

Original Roleplay >

Original Roleplay- This is the section designed for original creation. These are In Character(IC) RP's of RP's based on your own ideas, and your own ideas alone. It can have characteristics from other things, but it should be your original plot, characters, and story.

Canon Roleplays >

Canon Roleplays- This is the section for canon In Character(IC) RP threads. These RP's are based off of something else very closely. Often in basic story writing, can be known as fan-fics. If you do a RP off of Kingdom Hearts it goes here.

Old Roleplays >

Old Roleplays- This is where all the old, dead OOC threads are located. Every month anything past page two throughout the RP section(but profile) will be moved here. You can't post here. If there happens to be an open thread(they all should be closed) do not post in it.

Profiles >

Profiles- Here are the profiles. This is where all the characters for every RP by specific members can be found. You can't post in any of the threads unless it's your thread. You can only have one thread here, too.

RP Help And Feedback >

RP Help And Feedback- Though the name doesn't state it, this is really like the extra section of Roleplay. Here is discussions for a new idea, post up a link for feedback, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  3. Destiny

Destiny Guest

RP Tips, Help, Guide

Below you will find helpful guides and tips to help with your RP'ing. They are to be used almost as lessons and should be learned if you truly wish to be known as an experienced, advanced, professional RP'er.

Terms, Character Creation, Character Template:
    Created by Vox
    (Added 1-29-2008)​

CREATIVITY:
    Creating Creative RP Posts
    (Added 5-10-2010)​

For years writers have captured our attention with their stories and works. There many plots that made us sit on the edge of our seats, the characters that made us fall in love with or laugh about, the settings that put us in awe, and many other things. This all though came from the creative, artistic minds of writers. Their creativity is what made us fall in love. In fact, for students going to college to become a writer and author of fictional stories, they don't major in "Author, Stories, Fiction" whatever, they major in Creative Writing(and don't argue this, I've been to a college visit and got that info for a minor).

So I know what some of you are thinking. How does a story relate to a RP? How can I do what a professional does? It's simple. Everyone has a creative mind, just many people refuse to use it and let it out. It's time to though, it's time to let that creative mind out and embrace it in your writing in both stories and RP's. I'm going to help you with it as well.

If you believe this or not, but you're writing in RP's will affect your future. People read the RP's, I've been told many times about how good my "Another Kingdom Hearts" RP was and I see many people get complimented for how they're such great RP'ers from people who don't RP. Plus this affects you. Let's say a new member has come to the site and they love RP'ing, but they decided to wait some before leaping into a RP, so until they do they read a RP. Now lets say they find two different RP's with completely different people in it. The one is more creative and proffessional like, the other is just plain boring and uncreative. When the time comes for this new RP'er to RP, he or she is going to probably choose the creative RP'ers over the other one. So maybe you're an uncreative RP'er and when he starts RP'ing, you have a new RP. He probably will not choose you over one of the creative RP'ers who currently has a RP. So you see how important creativty is.

Now to create a creative post in a RP is not difficult at all. There are many different ways.

Above I have quoted a post from a RP. This writer will remain anonymous, but I'm sure some of you may figure out who this RP'er is by there style. Below I'm quoting the reply of, not to be rude, an uncreative RP'er and his post.

Now, there are some creative response to this, but not that much. For one, don't be cliche, and next off think about your post. This writer didn't need to mention that he was use to cuts because of football. Next off he could have added exclamation marks and such. Now here's how it can be written to be creative.

See now, it's the same exact post but with some more creative thoughts in it. Now how did I do this? It's simple on how you can do things to be more creative...

~ Exclamation mark add more of an excitement mood to it versus straight period that sound boring.

~Explaining things more deep can show how the character feels about the stuff he's saying, plus on top of that it helps the person responding to the post, help with getting more indepth and following the storyline.

~Explaining how something is characteristcly helps get into the mood of the story or the moment. Actions can do this to. A writer can show a calm scene by saying how relaxed the character is or the tone of their voice. A romantic scene between two couples can be how the characters holding his lover or carasing his/ her face whatever. While in an angry scene a writer can show a character by saying how the character maybe growled(and yes humans can growl when they're mad) or how the character yelled. Then with action the writer can mention the characters grip on the item or maybe how they're gritting their teeth.

~Thoughts, now I know all of us hate it when we mention the characters thoughts and then the next poster some how knows exactly what you character is thinking without saying it, however this shows exactly how the post is suppose to be interperted. I can tell you now talking to all the mods though, especially Insanity, if someone goes and knows exactly what your character is thinking, than contact a mod and they will take care of it and talk to that RP'er, if you don't want too or are afraid to tell me, I'll even go and talk to Insanity and the RP'er would be layed into.

So there are many ways to create a creative post and this helps with getting your six lines mininum. So I want to start seeing some creative posts when I go in and out of RP's.

Introduction Post
    (Added 6-11-2010)​
    I'm seeing a lot of poor intro posts lately. The ones we have now are just sort of... lazy, like really lazy. So I'm editing this post here, and it's right below creativity that will also serve as a helper in creating your intro post.

An intro post in a RP is designed to sort of introduce your characters into the RP, that's why it's called an Introduction Post. Usually you start out with a minor detail sort explaining(in detail) of the surrounding and setting. Usually then after doing this the character walks in, still unknown to readers of who this character is. Slowly the character begins to act, then the introduction comes. A whole paragraph designed for basically summarizing up your whole character from the template. The name, age, personality, appearence, history, etc. An Example would be the post below...

Above is a perfect example on how an intro post should look.

RP Discussion​
    (Added 5-10-2010)​

Below is a discussion from a thread about trying to improve everybody's RP. All of this I find completely true. By reading all below, I hope that this will encourage you to improve your personal RP'ing....

Power Playing and God Modeling/Modding
    (Added 7-6-2012)​

Below is a post from a RP OOC about two of the biggest trouble makers in RP. They are merely just brief explanation, enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012