• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Riku's Keyblade

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts 3' started by Desert Warrior, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Alright. For those of you who have seen the video for Utada's new song for the game, you're all aware of Riku's Way to Dawn somehow being broken. Logically during the game Riku will get a new keyblade.

As it turns out, images of figurines for the game can be found online and Riku's figurine has him wielding his new keyblade. Here it is if anybody wants to take a look. First picture looks to be his character model from the game, second image is the figurine. Also important to note, the figurine image shows what the keychain will look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Yup, I've seen this and quickly wasn't a fan. People are saying it looks like Fenrir which it kinda does. Nomura has clearly been developing Riku since the beginning. He's the most developed character in Kingdom Hearts while Sora is being a goof and knows nothing of his past or the story for that matter. Riku has been through so much. Falling into darkness then back to the light. Losing his Keyblade to Sora and so on. I will say his new Keyblade does match his new look better than Way To Dawn. Also, I suppose, he deserves a generic Keyblade similar to Sora's

3. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I like the new keyblade, I mostly just like the Fenrir design, but after finding out the whole "keso master key" inspiration I like it more. I like seeing keyblades based more on modern keys rather than the constantly used skeletal inspirations. It adds variety.
    I am most opposite to Angel though, I found WatToDawn generic and the most unlike a "key" in conception. It's always just been Soul Eater with a new handguard, keychain and glued on wing to me.

It was metaphorical and all, symbolized Riku's change but the fact that it's broken may also mean something. Perhaps he's finally off his 'road to dawn' and out of the darkness entirely. Kinda like he traded dark power for immunity to darkness itself.

A tumblr post I saw labeled it akin to a new kind of master gaining a truly master key. A new generation as it were. I can see some of that in the design because it's a modern one, based off this:

[​IMG]

Riku's is the kind of master someone like Eraqus wishes they were, free of the darkness' hold while he's also like Xehanort and knows it's half of the equation.

Edit: I will admit though I do think it needs some spice, perhaps like this:

[​IMG]

I also thought this would've been even more fitting:

[​IMG]

Mickey found the KKD, it's not his original, he literally has a second to spare. Plus, being a dark realm keyblade but used more positively for light, it kinda fits Rikus growth.

4. Desert Warrior

Is that key the actual design inspiration for it? I look at it and think car key, but that's me.

I do recall reading an interesting comment about his new keyblade (Though I suppose it falls strictly into the realm of fan theory) Basically that this new keyblade doesn't have the Gazing Eye and as such only Riku can see the future of this keyblade.

The interesting bit being the Gazing Eye comment. I remember way back when I saw Back Cover and immediately thought of the keyblades that had the Gazing Eye. So assuming all the keyblades with eyes in them actually have the Gazing Eye and it's not just Xehanort's keyblade that has one, the idea that the Master of Masters can't see Riku's actions in the future is an interesting though.

5. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Yes! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it, also.

I think the new keyblade is a little boring, but I do like the idea that Derek posted about it being based off a master key, and I do like that it looks a little differently than most of the other keyblade/keychains.

6. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

No given statement but I'd like to think so given it's looks exactly like a Keso key due to the lil dimples in the blade. When I think of care or bike key I think of Fenrir because it has actual jagged teeth like one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then again I also only make that distinction due to learning of a keso key as well as the fact that the Fenrir keyblade is named after Clouds bike so odds are Fenrir is truthfully a bike key lmao

Ohhhhh I like that idea as well. Riku breaks from the darkness which puts him out of Xehanorts gaze basically?

Same. I liked it before the keso thing for that reason as well. I'm not sure why so many are mad about it...

7. Desert Warrior

What exactly is a Keso key?

The Master of Master's gaze to be more specific. Unless you're thinking either the two are connected or Xehanort somehow managed to discover how to use the power of the Gazing Eye.

8. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Tbh I'm not exactly sure beyond the fact they're an advanced type of key. Namely for a complex lock. Think of them as like modern master keys or skeleton keys to a degree.

I just go with Xehanort because it was Nort who's influence Riku has been gradually breaking from for years. Nort gave Riku the dark and to be free of the dark is to be free of Xehanort.

9. Desert Warrior

Well that certainly is a more symbolic approach.

10. Keyblade Master Roxas

Keyblade Master Roxas Shake the Core.

I read online that the dimples on a key is for a universal type of a key that can open up anything. Maybe those dimples means Rikus struggle with the whole darkness/light.

11. V0iD

V0iD New Member

I'm fine with how it looks, it looks like a Key, a different type like Sora's or KM's. I think it's more important on where he got that key. While Mikey giving him one seems like the most reasonable, maybe he just had it. He did go and give Kairi a keyblade out of nowhere. Maybe we will actually get to see how one "creates" a keyblade, maybe it's a trait of an actual Keyblade master.