• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Music Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by EbeneezerAl, Feb 6, 2008.

1. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

All discussion on the music competition should take place here. Ask questions on the current theme, make suggestions for future themes, or ask any other questions you may have.

2. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

For those of you who are taking the FF route for this theme, here's a good site with some FF music resources. I use this quite a bit in my FF arrangements.

FF9 Midis / Final Fantasy IX Midis / Final Fantasy 9 Midis

It says FFIX, but that just happened to be the particular section I was looking at. It has everything IV-XI

Oh and simply out of curiosity, who all is planning on entering this?

3. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

is this a competition to compose a piece of music just see if we know where the piece is from?
    either way i would be intrested in entering
    i have always wanted to compose =)

4. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

There may eventually be themes involving original composition. This month however, your goal is to arrange a piece of music, not compose one. You may pick any piece of music written by Nobuo Uematsu, the composer for the Final Fantasy series, though you do not necessarily have to do an FF song. You simply have to put your own twist on the song, via instrumentation, different style, etc. It will be your version of it.

the method of composition is up to you. You can use scoring software, MIDI, even record yourself or someone else playing it if you're able. There's a thread in this subforum where I was trying to determine interest. I made some software suggestions there if you don't have the programs.

5. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

i use guitar pro to tab then cubase to record.
    32 track firewire alesis mixing desk
    for this i might do a alteration of the bombing prelude or aeris' theme in a simple harp and piano duet.
    would either of those 2 be fit for this?

6. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

My God yes. Nice stuff you have there. I'm working on my own setup personally. I'm hoping to get, sometime soon, an M-box 2 Mini with ProTools LE. My current interface doesn't play well with my comp unfortunately, v_v. But when it comes to MIDI, I prefer using Cubase. Not much good with a sequencer, so for what I'm going need it for, I'd rather use ProTools, since it's what I have the most training and experience on. I also have Sound Forge, which is awesome for single waveform editing.

For this though, I use Sibelius. I have a better understanding of music from a classical standpoint, and thus work better with the notation software rather than sequencing.

And yes, your song choices are fine, though the bombing prelude I don't know off the top of my head. At least not by name. What is that from? Just remember that your entry has to b at least 60 sec. You're welcome to do something longer. Mine likely will be.

7. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

the bombing prelude is the part of ffvii when at the start of te game when you are going to blow up te reactor.
    ffvii has my favourite soundtrack
    well a bit of ffvi aswell ^^

8. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

VII does have the best soundtrack, even though I'm going with a song from IX for this. I've actually got an FFVII medley that I'm about half finished with. I've got some of it posted on the board if you're interested.

Is that the same piece they opened Advent Children with, or is this the piece that starts playing when the gameplay starts?

9. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

its the piece that starts plying when you see cloud jump of the train at the start of the game
    and i have finished my adaptaion of aeris's theme.
    its very basic but its done ^^
    not bad for 5 hours composing and arranging ^^
    my brother is actually using it for a sampl in a dance track he is composing ^^.
    question is how am i going to upload this?

10. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

11. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

do i enter my entry here or in another thread?

12. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

Very nice entry. Simplistic isn't really bad. It works for this.

13. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

Thanks dude.
    I was working on my death metal version of the bombing prelude but the alteration was actually realy good and my guitarist for my band wants to adapt it into a our new song.

14. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

Interesting turn of events.

Anyway, it's a while away, but I was thinking of possible themes for next months competition, and here some possibilities.

Villains: Basically, any bad guy theme. Doesn't matter what from. Movie, game, TV, theater. Anything.

Disney: Any song from a Disney movie, live action or cartoon. Either is fine. Disney has some good music, and this being a KH site, it seems rather appropriate.

Broadway: Any song form a broadway musical.

Pop song: I say pop for a lack of anyhting better to say. Truly pop music is any style that happens to be popular, but even then I'm not deciding based on how successful the artist is, especially since a lot of people here have probably never heard of the guy I want to do. Create an instrumental arrangement of any song recorded by a professional recording artist of any genre. Could be fun.

Movies: Any movie theme. I hope that was self explanatory.

What do y'all think?

15. Nikylee

Nikylee New Member

I would say villian, disney and movies are good ideas.
    pop music is too easily composed and even the most simplist of changed can make it sound different.
    broadwa im not too sure of, havent really had that much experience of writing or reading any ^^.
    i would say a ghibli soundtrack would be good and a piece especially composed for kh :)