• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Lucrecia

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy VII' started by EtherealSummoner, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Well, I think that some of us knows that she's really is Sephiroth's mother and that she used to work under Vincent's father. Still, I think that she is pressuring herself too much for her guilt and she really needs to get over it. It's actually Hojo's fault anyways. Still, do you think that Lucrecia will ever leave out of the Crystal Cave after Vincent talked to her one last time? She was letting tears roll down.

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I disagree. Lucrecia made a decision as a scientist to allow the experiments on her unborn child to be done. I think she deserves plenty of guilt. It also doesn't seem like (based on VII, not any of the others) that she was especially motherly to Sephy as a child. Maybe if she'd looked after his welfare a little better, he wouldn't have turned out as he did.

To answer your question, no, I don't think Lucrecia will ever leave the cave. I think she is too unhappy and full of guilt.

3. They won't let her come out of her crystal. Just like how they won't let Aeris come back to life. Makes us ask the "what if" question a lot.

4. EtherealSummoner

But Sephiroth didn't truly die yet even during Advent Children so don't you think that Lucrecia would just come back into her senses and try to at least persuade her own son? It may mean that she'll die...

5. Kitty

No. She hasn't ever tried to stop him before, has she? Wiki tells me that she had visions of what Sephy would become before he was born, and she still went along with the experiment and birth. If she couldn't stop then, I can't see her going out of her way to try and stop him now.

Sephy doesn't consider her his mother, either. Why would he listen to her?

6. Ryokosha

Ryokosha New Member

Never trust what Wikipedia says. Don't you understand that people can change it.

And I don't think she'll ever leave the cave. I hope she doesn't.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

It's stated in game that she has had these visions. Wiki = POSSIBLY wrong, not ALWAYS wrong. In fact its usually at least MOSTLY right haha.

Also, Lucrecia obviously allowed these experiments on her son to take place, which deserves guilt. However, the "she wasn't motherly" to him comment is irrelevant, Sephiroth was taken immediately after birth to be raised as a super soldier within the Shinra company, she never even held him after his birth, let alone was allowed to see him. And she will NEVER be able to reason with Sephiroth. Sephiroth is a special kind of evil, to HIM what he is doing is RIGHT. Someone trying to dissuade him would only be viewed as someone else being wrong.

8. Kitty

And people also moderate it to ensure accuracy. It's not completely full of shit. It shouldn't be used as the ultimate, never wrong resource, but it is good in a pinch. And as Zenrot points out that the information was correct, what are you bitching about?

Thank you for confirming this, as I have yet to play DoC.

This is what I meant. If he'd been raised with a proper mother, and not taken away to become #1 soldier, perhaps his life wouldn't have turned out as it did.

Honestly, I have a lot of trouble understanding why Lucrecia would behave as she did.

I agree.

9. I've always been rather interested in knowing whether Lucrecia was in any way inspired by Shakespeare's The Rape of Lucrece. With that in mind, it makes me wonder just how enthusiastic Lucrecia was in getting involved in the experiment - moreover, whether or not she was raped and proceeded to deny it.

Yes, yes, that was a only a wild speculation.

I do feel a little sorry for her, mind you. She said she never even got to hold Sephiroth as a baby, and that tells us that, more than likely, she might have been forced to make a lot of decisions against her will.

</hasn't played DoC>

10. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

In fact it was. Although Lucrecia herself was not raped (per se, she initially agreed to allow the baby to be experimented on, however what followed was out of her control), the story does draw heavily from The Rape of Lucrece. For wild speculation you hit it right on the nose.

11. Didn't she also mention something about not being able to die so easily? If this was a fact, it might have been the reason why she herself couldn't terminate the pregnancy, either. I would say that, after the dreams she'd been having, she realised it was a bad idea but could no longer do anything about it.

12. Kitty

^Yes, when you talk to her in the cave in VII, she says that the Jenova in her won't let her die.

I feel sorry for her, because I think things quickly got out of her control. But at the same time, I find the idea of a mother willing to have her child experimented on really horrible. Hojo, of course, is no better, maybe worse, but the thread's not about him. :p

13. Well, yes, I suppose no mother should want to experiment on her own child, but some scientists tend to think only of the bigger picture and reckon that small sacrifices such a single child are acceptable in the long run in order to improve the future quality of human life. Perhaps Lucrecia was just one of these people and, lacking all those crazy hormones at the time, didn't realise what kind of mistake it was.

14. Kitty

I suppose you're right, but I think that can be dangerous thinking.

I dunno, as a woman who's helping raise her sister's son, I really can't comprehend why any woman would allow such a thing to happen to her own child to begin with, and then allow the child to be taken away from her. Lucrecia may not have wanted Sephy to be taken from her, without her even getting to hold him, but my idea is that she didn't make any big arguments about it. But like I mentioned, I'm just going of VII here, and not a whole lot is said about this in that game. That was just the impression I got.

15. Perhaps she argued about it, but she didn't have much choice in the matter of Sephy being taken away? Perhaps she was drugged or the like?
    Of course it's hard to think of any woman doing that in the first place, but some people just don't know what they have until they've lost it.

16. EtherealSummoner

Vincent said that Hojo went against Lucrecia's will as she was getting nearer and nearer to giving birth because of an illness. What I don't understand is why Jenova won't let her die. That's what really getting to me. That's one of the reasons why I was wondering if she will ever leave out of the cave because Jenova wants to use her. Also, Sephiroth thought that Jenova is his mother but Vincent has all the answers. Hojo tried to kill his own son even though it means destroying Midgar. He only want to do things that are scientific and what he believes what scientists do.

17. Kitty

I didn't take her statement as meaning that Jenova wanted to use her. I just figured that having the cells in her body prolonged her life.

Is she ever seen again in the timeline after the events of VII? If not, I don't think it is unlikely to think that she may have died. After Vincent lied and told her that Sephiroth was dead, I think she could let go of her guilt and be at peace. I don't think she got so many Jenova cells injected into herself that she was invincible.

18. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

She is seen in Dirge of Cerberus, but she does not speak to Vincent, it is only her body, the rest is a mental projection from a new character in DOC.

Also, Jenova is no longer Jenova, it is Sephiroth. Sephiroth imposed his will OVER Jenova, and so has control over Jenova. Possibly Sephiroth's subconcious desire to serve his "mother" has caused the Jenova cells to protect and prolong the life of his TRUE mother?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.