• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Let's Go On a Quest! (Interest Check for D&D-Like Venture)

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Become, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Hello there everyone. It's been a while since our little RP section has seen some action, though I'm sure that some of you will still be up for a little bit of action. After some time of silence on my part, I'm finally feeling the sparks of inspiration coming back to me. I'd like to gauge interest in an RP focused mostly for a smaller main cast (though growth will be an option).

A few notes that I've compiled on the workings of the RP:

World Setting;
    The world in mind would be culturally, mechanically and cosmically inspired by a Final Fantasy mold, allowing for a diverse geographical map, options for magical and technological innovations, and racially and culturally unique characters. Elements such as magic, equipment and abilities will be drawn from the same sort of atmosphere.
    Gameplay;
    More than likely, I will seek to play this out in some fashion comparable to a Dungeons & Dragons game or as a persistent world of sorts. The premise will ultimately revolve around our characters coming together to engage in various quests, breaking the RP into smaller chunks, and possibly taking place over multiple threads. In any case, I plan for it to be an open, sandbox type of setting. Some sort of central plot may develop if we feel the need for it.

There will be an implementation of mild RPG elements in the essence of characters starting at somewhat of a 'weaker' state, gaining in abilities and equipment as they engage more deeply into the RP. ​

2. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

You know as long as I'm around I would be interested in it.

3. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I am down for this, yup.

4. Become

I'll be getting to work on some world building starting next week (about to have some 12+ hour days at work, so I won't have much time).

I'm open to hear any and all ideas anyone might have.

5. Desert Warrior

If this is inspired by Final Fantasy, are we talking about I-V where there are crystals and medieval type kingdoms? Or more of VI-XIII where there is much more noticeable technology?

6. Become

I'm leaning more towards the VI-XIII side, since I find the aesthetics more stimulating. Especially when considering that the fantasy elements are nonetheless a prevalent factor.

7. Become

I'm thinking FFVII will mostly be the main basis for this world. Though geographically and (to a loose extent) historically, it will parallel our own Earth.

@Taboo Sho and @Desert Warrior

I'm thinking, that in order to save some time and energy, I may just set this up as an RP within the KH Universe.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. Desert Warrior

If it is set up as a KH RP, are you still planning on using whatever other ideas you may have come up with already?

9. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

Sure im in

10. Become

Possibly as an original world.

11. FON

FON A Lazy Comic Artist

Hey I'm game for this if there's still room

12. Become

Naturally. I'm gonna aim to get something up next week.

13. Become

The basic story outline for things based on using Kingdom Hearts as the basis.

a century ago, the worlds as they were known were changed forever. Sora, the Hero of the Keyblade, ventured into the stars in search of his lost friends, only to find that there was far more to his story. Overcoming many perilous trials, he and his companions defeat the bid of malevolent Dark forces to seize control of Kingdom Hearts, Heart of all worlds.

Through his deeds, Sora prevented the imbalance of existence as we know it; as was his intention in the end. But something more came about that he and his allies did not intend, or even expect: the worlds, once divided and restricted from one another, became more connected and open than ever before. Where prior to his actions the existence of other worlds was restricted to a select elite who could magically traverse them, now such knowledge was widespread.

Through the efforts of many people across these worlds, peace and balance were able to reign supreme once more.

Resonant Hearts

A Kingdom Hearts Sandbox RP

The Worlds Today

It’s been well over a century since Sora’s exploits. These days, knowledge of other worlds is commonplace among most people, save for those living on the undiscovered fringes and backwaters of their respective Realms. The establishment of this knowledge sparked a revolution, especially in the early years following the adventures of the Keybearer. As the connections between one world and the next strengthened, so too did commerce. Materials and ideas flooded across interspace and each world was inevitably influenced by the others with which it interacted.

At the ingenious entrepreneurship of one Scrooge McDuck, an inter-world Gummi Ship Highway was established, streamlining travel between worlds, and creating ports on each one. Not long after, the interspace paths became a bustling way for travelers of all sorts.

Peace and balance remain the standard in this inter-world society. However, this state doesn’t come as easily as the average person might expect. Among the worlds, there is a well-established, highly trained military that works towards preserving the balance between Light and Darkness. This military has set up strongholds on nearly every known world in the Realm of Light, and takes in new, willing recruits often, so long as they feel that they're up to par with military standards. Their forces are composed of people from all walks and practices; warriors, mages, mechanists and more are welcomed into their ranks after proving their value.

This military is far from underworked; while well-contained and relatively low in threat, the Heartless have maintained a steady presence among the Light. Some say rumors are floating about the armed forces of a spike in Heartless activity, especially on fringe worlds. However, any such rumors are just that, and largely hushed among the general public as conspiracy theories and dangerous thinking. Only the military truly knows how substantial these rumors may be.

For all of the talented warriors throughout the worlds, there's one thing noticeably absent from everyday life: The Keyblade. Though Hearts are as strong as, if not stronger than ever, no Keyblades have been seen in nearly fifty years.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  14. Desert Warrior

One thought popped up in my mind as I was reading your description. Throughout Sora's travels through the gummi routes, Heartless ships would always be there to interfere. So logically the Gummi Ship Highway should require security forces to defend travelers from Heartless ships (And maybe Nobody ships if Nobodies are even considered to still be a thing after the events of KH2).

Nothing that would really influence the story so much, but something that could be used as a character's backstory if somebody wanted to.

15. Become

No no. That's actually an interesting thought that could totally influence events in the RP. Like, there's a defense network established to protect the pathways between worlds. Maybe somewhere along the way something gets through.

Taboo Sho and Desert Warrior like this.
  16. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Now this is a longshot, but what if what makes it through is just something small, like Shadow or something similar, but along the route it becomes something far more dangerous? Like it mutates or something

17. Become

That too could work out. Right now I'm working on a list of accessible worlds. Then I'll come up with the character sheet. As I said in the original post. there's going to be a very light growth system for our characters to follow.