• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

KH rambling

Discussion in 'General Kingdom Hearts' started by Derek, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

A notion came to me today while discussing the handheld and numbered entries of KH with @blackosprey .

We weren’t ranting or disgruntled or anything, it was just a kinda bafflement with why every entry in the series is so crucial when, in the long run, this was damaging to the series narrative.

And, well, I think the issue has been that Nomura wants to expand Soras story for future games when he should’ve expanded the world in general for future games. His favoritism has damaged the story. (it’s understandable on his part however)

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with side or expanded universe entries in a series. In fact these are quite smart and good for world building or telling stories outside your main narrative.
    The issue with KH was that each entry was made too damn crucial. Even Coded was made so in the Remixes.

Just think about it, all of KH’s hand held titles could’ve not only been a method to engross fans to wanna try the main story but also be a breeding ground for ideas. For example:

–KHUX would’ve been amazing for an EU only story. It could be an idea breeding ground.

–Same for BBS. As a prequel is kinda messed up but if it was it’s own story, perhaps in an AU, imagine the freedom.

–Days would’ve been an amazing story to leave self contained. Just have Roxas and Xion fade away in Days (while keeping Roxas out of KH2) for a canon ending and you could’ve even added alternative endings for completing some goals. (like proud mode gives you an ending in which both live)

Instead they’re all kinda bogged down by this need to hastily build this grand epic and I don’t know why. UX is tied down by KH3 tie-ins and old characters appearing, BBS and days threw more into the main narrative than could be handled properly and then you had entries that were fun but honestly had no reason to be made relevant later like Coded. (even though I loved Re:coded)

Kitty likes this.