• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Kamikaze, Rap Devil, "Lets talk about it"

Discussion in 'Music & Industry' started by Nova, Sep 6, 2018.

Which team?

1. Rap God

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Rap Devil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They both suck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

I've seen this blow up on music media lately and I'm not gonna lie, I kind of love it. Eminem dropped a surprise album (Kamikaze) on August 31. It's good, but man he didn't hold back. The album contains a diss or two on a ton of other artists including, but not limited to Joe Budden, Vince Staples, Token, Machine Gun Kelly, and any artist he puts in the "Mumble Rappers" category.

It's no secret I'm a fan of Eminem. I loved the new album. It's leagues better than Revival, which he came out with last year. I particularly liked "Fall".

But the backlash is pretty good too. Just a few days later, Machine Gun Kelly fired back with "Rap Devil" (A word play to oppose 'Rap God') in response to Eminem's "Not Alike"

I'm not gonna lie guys, it's good. Probably one of the best tracks Kelly has ever done, in spite of how little time he had to work on it. And I have to respect the bravery. That's just what this is. Eminem has a track record for brutal diss tracks ruining careers. But he did it anyway. Maybe a little too well. It got straight up disrespectful at points especially with his line about Em's daughter, and basically the entire second half.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. According to Mr. Porter (a collaborator of Eminem), Eminem does plan to respond.

Honestly, I'm a fan of a lot of these artists and this means more music from a lot of them. So no matter what happens, this is a win in my opinion. But what do you guys think. If you follow any of these rappers, do you think this means trouble for MGK? Or do you agree with those who say he basically already won?

Kitty likes this.
  2. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I've never been significantly enthused by hiphop. Especially everything that's been more in the mainstream over the past few years; most of it, IMO, doesn't hold up to the older stuff that used to be the highlight genre. That being said, Eminem has more or less been among the few artists in the hiphop/rap spectrum that I've had any high degree of respect for as far as what's escalated into mainstream popularity.

I'm not sure what good a dis track does him though. Slim should be well aware that his prolific status in his genre paints a target on his back. MGK's response hits some good points; if I remember right, he called out Eminem on how he can be so successful but still be angry.

Then, I like that train of thought that I happened upon a few days ago: Eminem stirring controversy to light a fire under other artists. He's bringing the battle-rapping essence back into forefront in a big way by taking on as many people at once as he is. Whether or not he ends up winning this war that he's apparently trying to start... I guess that'll depend on whether or not he gets the advantage of having the last verse.

Kitty likes this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

This isn't my genre, so I don't know how much my opinion is worth, but for the sake of discussion, I'll go for it. Despite not being much of a fan of rap, Eminem has always been an artist who I've really liked, if not one I've actively followed. And if the idea is to give other artists a kick in the ass to up their games and start putting out decent music, I suppose that's admirable.

But in general, I find these beefs between artists, in the rap genre or otherwise, really distasteful. Either they're manufactured bullshit for the publicity, or some of these people are petty as hell and honestly kind of pathetic. In this case, if the cause of the animosity is a tweet by MGK (as my non-vetted, super-quick Googling skills suggest), then 1) that was 6 years ago, so it seems really lame for Eminem to still be bringing it up, and 2) in the grand scheme of offensive things, I don't know, I don't find what MGK said to be that bad. In poor taste, sure, and a little creepy, but worth getting so bent out of shape about, years later? I don't see that. Plus, in regards to fame and standing in the genre, Eminem is so far above MGK (whose only other song I've heard is the one he did with Camila Cabello), I wonder why he bothered to stoop low enough to call him out. I guess it just seems like a big stink about nothing to me.

As far as these songs go, I think "Not Alike" and "Killshot" both confirm that Eminem is the greater talent. However, I kind of like listening to "Rap Devil" better. It's got a catchiness to the music that appeals to me.

I suppose to call a winner, we'd have to continue to see how this plays out, but if MGK is able to use this to promote himself and gain more of a following, I'd say he wins even if Eminem's lyrics and music are superior.