• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

IT (2017)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kitty, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I've seen the movie twice now, and I figured since it's done so well at the box office, surely someone else here has seen it and would want to talk about it, so... standalone thread.

Anyone seen it, and what did you think?

Like I said, I've seen IT twice so far, and I loved it. The casting was so on point. The kid actors were so good and had great chemistry together. Bill Skarsgard killed it as Pennywise, also. Tim Curry had an iconic performance, and Skargard was smart to make the character his own and not try to emulate him. Someone in a Youtube comment rather eloquently described the difference as Curry's Pennywise being played as a psychotic, child rapist serial killer who happens to be an unearthly entity, while Skarsgard's Pennywise is played as an unearthly entity's idea of what a psychotic serial killer is. Honestly, watching as an adult, Curry is so hammy and busy chewing the scenery that he's not the least bit scary. I wouldn't call Skarsgard scary exactly, either, but there was something about him that was unsettling. The supporting actors like the kids' parents and the bullies were well cast, as well. Bev's dad in particular was horrible and upsetting, but that's one of the themes- that people can be monstrous, too.

I also thought the movie was well directed, and it had a great soundtrack. I was a little worried that the story would change a lot from the book, and while it kind of did, it still really captured the spirit of the book in a way the miniseries didn't quite get, so I didn't mind. I loved seeing some scenes that were also done in the miniseries updated for the better, like the scene with Beverly and the bloody sink. That was awesome and really effective. Some of the CG in the film was obviously fake, but it kind of worked for me since it made it look more unsettling.

If I have to nitpick, I would have liked to have seen more scenes of Pennywise staying in the frame, conversing with the kids. It was super effective at the beginning of the movie while talking to Georgie, and in some other scenes as well, but the movie did a lot of It running at the camera after one of the kids, and while this would probably really scare someone with a clown phobia, I didn't find it as effective. The movie also kind of mixed up some of the kids' back stories and roles- Mike, for instance, had a totally different past, and Ben's contributions to the group were mostly cut, so he was given a lot of Mike's exposition dumps. I'll also admit to getting just a little bit annoyed that the movie decided someone needed to be kidnapped and chose the only girl for the job. But it did eventually lead to some cuteness from Ben and Bev, so I'll let it get away with that this time. The bullies in the movie weren't as prominent as they were in the book. Belch and Victor were just forgotten about, and Henry had an odd end for someone who should be having a role to play in the sequel. I have a few more nitpicks, but they're a little harder to explain. But although I've written a wall of text, in reality these were minor nuisances that didn't affect my enjoyment of the film.

If you're going into this movie wanting to be scared shitless by a great horror film, you're probably not going to walk away satisfied with this film. If you're wanting a movie with a great cast of kids who become friends while dealing with abuse, neglect, bullying, and other real world problems, and who also just so happen to have to kick a murderous clown-faced being's ass, I think you'll enjoy this.

2. Kairi831

Kairi831 Active Member

Skarsgard did have an unsettling feel around his depiction of Pennywise. I above all enjoyed it greatly. Curry's depiction had a jokes type of feeling around him, wasn't particularly scary to me either. Skarsgard just made you feel uncomfortable for the most part. The one projector scene where he pops out of the screen kind of made me jump a little on the inside. Only because it was so hectic and then boom, jumpscare, so to speak. The monstrous face just made me uncomfortable, and I loved it.

I do have to agree, the movie more so focused on the kids rather than Pennywise being their sole "problem". I wish he had more scenes apart from what he had. I guess I can kind of relate to that Pennywise had as mich screen time in IT as the Joker did in Suicide Squad. But nonetheless, still enjoyed it immensely.

Kitty likes this.
  3. Kitty

YES! I was more unsettled than frightened by this movie, but this was one of the few scenes where I legit jumped. Pennywise's face is just so demonic looking there, and It's so BIG when moving through the space. Great acting by the kids selling their terror. That entire scene gave me the creeps.

The other scene that creeped me out was the scene in the library with
    Ben and the headless boy version of It that chases him through the stacks.
    The CGI in that scene was laughable, but the way the thing moved was really unsettling to me. The
    climbing out of the refrigerator scene
    had that same unnerving movement, but didn't repulse me quite as much. Maybe because the CGI looked better.

Eh, I think Pennywise probably had more screen time than the Joker, but I agree both of those characters were underutilized. I really wish we would have gotten more dialogue from Skarsgard. That's really where he shined and was at his scariest.

I guess the sequel with the adult!Losers is due to start filming for a Sept. 2019 release date. I'm definitely looking forward to that. Hopefully they find as good a cast as they did for the kids.

Kairi831 likes this.
  4. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing It, but I have seen that scene in your second spoiler. Saw it on YouTube. Anyways, I'll admit to not really remembering how it looked, but I do remember someone in the comment section saying that it wasn't CGI and that Skarsgard was physically doing that. Of course, if the human body can't actually contort itself like that then obviously the comment is wrong. But it'd be pretty cool if he was able to do that himself. Or at least a stunt double I suppose.

Kitty likes this.
  5. Kitty

I think it was a mixture of both. I heard the same thing about Skarsgard, that he trained with a contortionist, but to me, some of the way the body moves as it unravels doesn't look possible. I could be wrong, though.

Desert Warrior and Kairi831 like this.
  6. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Still quite a creepy scene. Ugh. I'd watch it right now, but it's almost 11 at night and I'm tired. I don't sleep enough as is, so yeah...

Kitty likes this.