• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Interesting Instruments?

Discussion in 'Music & Industry' started by Become, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

While scrolling through my news feed on Facebook just now, I came across a video shared by one of my former percussion instructors. The content blew my mind, in a sonic sort of sense.

For those of you familiar with, and with a liking for, the steel drums often featured in Caribbean music, the instrument in the video above is basically (apparently) the far east equivalent to that. The difference, shown in the video, is that it is convex rather than concave. It's a very intriguing sound.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

[​IMG]
    A more detailed look.

My natural curiosity as a person of musical interest sparked a more in-depth research about the instrument in my original post.

Officially, it is known as a "Hang." Some people call it a hang drum, but that name for it is generally denounced as the greater number of people, including its developers, don't actually consider it a drum; it really can't be called a drum, as 'drums' are delineated within the percussion family as being unpitched, whereas the Hang is definitely pitched.

Now, speaking of its creators, my initial guess as to it's origins (based mainly on the type of music I had heard playing from it: primarily pentatonic (using a five-note scale)) were quite far off. It was actually developed around the year 2000, making it a much more recent instrument. As for where it was developed, well, we have Bern, Switzerland to thank for it.

PS - I'd like to open this thread up for a broader discussion. If you've encountered, whether hearing or seeing an exotic, obscure or non-traditional musical instrument, feel free to share it here. I know I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015