• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Get A Life

Discussion in 'Mature Discussion' started by NeRo, Mar 9, 2016.

1. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

Ya know often times we hear the phrase " Go Get A Life" and looking back, well that's pretty messed up to tell someone. i mean not only is it rude it's incorrect because you're telling them to get a life when you don't know this person. You're saying it in a way to discredit their lives compared to yours. So let's just get into it yea?

Having a " Life" is subjective. what you may view and enjoy about life may be completely different to someone else. For example. if a guy goes to anime conventions with his friends, and he runs into someone not at the con, but just out and about and they comment " You need to get a life" Now lets give a little backstory, this person travels and goes to night clubs and parties on the regular. But they look down on someone else because in their eyes his life is not as of value or as exciting as theirs.

So think about it like this. Maybe that person doesn't like to travel that much, but rather enjoys a small group of friends and kicking back telling jokes and having friendly banter. That may be their peak of fun and they may enjoy that more than what it is you do. Now i need to say this, not that what you may do isnt appealing, however you need to look at it from the point of " what works for A may not work for B. We are all special little snowflakes, and saying this we need to realize we all process things differently. Take me for example!

I've done quite alot in my life i've traveled all over the U.S. going to cons with friends, and on the other side of the coin i've done the night club scene, the house parties, the bars. as well as the Late night netflix and chill to the grab a group of friends and watch anime talk trash and eat pizza. For me the best times of my life were just hanging out with friends not a large group but just a few watch some anime debate and just talk trash and play video games til we pass out. Not to say the parties weren't fun, they just weren't fun enough for me to keep doing it. However there will be people that enjoy that and that is their life.

Life is subjective and it has a powerful meaning. What's the meaning of life you ask? Well i actually have the answer for you. and the answer may be not as grand as you think.

The meaning of life is to find meaning in life. Find what you enjoy, what makes YOU smile what makes YOU laugh, dont worry about what everyone else wants you to do. What may seem like amazing night to them may seem like a troublesome waste of time for you. Invest your time into something you find passion in, find a hobby, hone your craft, master your skill. Do what you must but dont ever let someone tell you to " Go Get A Life" because if they are saying that, they just need validation for their own. And fuck those people we don't like those people.

has this ever happened to you? what is " life" for you? what do you enjoy doing. Let's chat!

2 quid is good likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

What's wrong with people saying "Get a life". Sometimes its condescending, but what if someone is wasting their life away. What you want (fun) is not always what you need! Sometimes you need someone to tell you what to do and what's best for you. Either because you're not aware of it or simply denial and choosing not to. Not all criticism is bad criticism.

3. NeRo

in my experience 9/10 it doesn't come from a place of criticism. i've never once seen that be the case. But that's an interesting take on it.

4. Angel

Okay, let's say it was condescending. Doesn't that person have a right to express their opinion?

5. NeRo

It's an opinion but that doesn't make it ok to say that to someone. it's still subjective.

6. Angel

Sure. It may not be morally right, but you do agree that they can express their opinion, whether you like it or not, right?

7. NeRo

everyone has a right to their own opinion. at least in america. i'm just telling people that you don't have to always listen to that opinion. you can shape your own life how you want it regardless of someones opinion or not. That's one thing i learned in college that i'll carry with me for my entire life.

At the end of the day people will do whatever it is they want to do, regardless of you tell them otherwise. it's up to them to choose.

Angel likes this.
  8. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I agree with Vox. Well-intentioned, respectfully-given advice can be regarded or not, as each person decides, but I think ultimately people should live their lives in the ways that make them happiest or in ways they feel gives their lives the most meaning. Trying to live your life in the ways other people want, when it's not what you want, is just going to make you miserable in the long run, imo. In my experience, "get a life" seems to always be some degree of condescending. Maybe people don't mean it that way, I don't know, but it rubs me the wrong way and actually just makes me want to do whatever you're objecting about even more. And to be honest, if there were a legitimate concern about a behavior, and someone genuinely felt that they had to speak up or the person would really ruin their lives, there are way more tactful and helpful ways to address the issue than telling someone they needed to "get a life." Just because someone is protected by free speech to say whatever pops into their head, it doesn't mean that is the most appropriate way of saying it and helping a situation.

NeRo likes this.