• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Fidel Castro and Cuba

Discussion in 'Mature Discussion' started by Desert Warrior, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

For those of you out of touch with the events of this past week or so, Fidel Castro has finally kicked the bucket after 90 long years. In a wonderfully ironic twist this communist dictator died on Black Friday, the most capitalistic day in the world. Castro will be remembered by most for the terrible monster he was. A horrible man who murdered any who showed political dissent, the man who kept the people of Cuba in an impoverished state and forced thousands upon thousands of Cubans to risk their lives fleeing to America.

One would think that with all the atrocities Castro committed there would be no love lost over his death. Unfortunately reality is a cruel mistress. I have witnessed too many people talking about what a "great" man he was and all the good he did and treat him as a good person.

Canada's Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, admires Castro and had this to say when he found out Castro died:
    Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation…On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.

Trudeau's comments are, personally, depressing to read.

Back on the Voting thread, I commented that I've lost any respect I had for Jill Stein, and this is why. She too, seems to hold respect for Castro. So to me, any credibility she once had is all gone. Oh well.

And yes, I realize half this damn post is me complaining.

Nova, EtherealSummoner and Kitty like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I think it is true that Castro did a lot for education and health care in Cuba. Unfortunately, all of the bad that he did negates all of that and then some.

I suppose you could argue that he was a "great man," in the same way someone could argue that someone like Hitler was a great man, but I agree with you that some of the remarks released since his death seem too generous. I could understand if a statesman was trying to be diplomatic, but yeah, some seem to be rewriting history a little.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  3. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Exactly. Talking about whatever good Castro did is literally the same as saying stuff like "Hitler got Germany out of the Great Depression and made many contributions to medical and scientific fields and improved the quality of life for so many people."

Diplomatic is saying stuff like what President Obama did. Not flat out condemning or even mentioning the bad things Castro did, but not praising him in any way either. The crap other people say though just blows my mind.

Kitty likes this.
  4. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Meh. It's mixed feelings for people. If he actually did something good, then I guess they would bring it up. Making him more of the "Anti-hero" of sorts I'm assuming. Plus, I never knew Jill Stein had any respects for Castro. Maybe it's because it aligns with what she believes maybe? I don't know. I find it ridiculous. As ridiculous when people are now getting mad at Obama for being sympathetic towards Castro's family and at the same time, the people of Cuba.

My concern is about the United States relation with Cuba. I know Obama wanted to strengthen it but with Castro gone... yea. Plus, the joke memes popping up lately about Castro blew up.

5. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I think there is a difference between acknowledging that an otherwise horrible human being accomplished some good and being over the top in your praise. I would expect someone in politics to offer condolences to his family and supporters, and to maybe choose to gloss over the awful things he's done, while not heaping on a lot of praise, either. A nice, noncommittal statement acknowledging his death and expressing a need for Cuba to come out stronger, or an offer of support should they seek it, or something. Trudeau's comments, for one, as posted by DW, to me seem too glowing in their praise. I don't know.

I think some on the left admire what he did with regards to education and health care. Bernie Sanders got burned during the debate before Florida voted in the primaries with a video of him saying something to that effect, as well. I think you can admire good things bad people do without forgetting that they are still bad people.

Fidel hadn't been in power for I think about 8 years. His brother has been holding the reigns. I think Trump taking office will have more of an effect on Cuban/US relations than Fidel's death. He's already talked about reneging on what Obama has done thus far.