• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

FFX/ FFX-2 and Real-World Comparison

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy X' started by EtherealSummoner, Sep 4, 2012.

1. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

The more I play this game, the more I understand... but I guess it is because I am getting younger ( XD) and more mature. But anyway, as I kept on playing this game, I was able to compare a lot of the Final Fantasy X contents with reality. This is my comparisons. I will put the rest later because I will not have enough time to put them all down but I will explain the rest.

Tidus: He represents not only curiousity in a new culture but also represents what boys struggles with their fathers in the family. Trying to avoid reflecting the traits of his own father but ends up reflecting them anyways and his hatred comes from a particular event that leads him to hate his own father. This is what many males go through in this time period in our world and as to how males try to cover up their emotions so much and be tough. Not only that, Tidus also represents "The Agnostic". Not saying that he does not believe that there is a higher being but he shows that he have many doubts in the religion that Spira chose. For that, it leads him to being a little bit more open-minded to what he thinks is right and he will always go against Yevon beliefs.

Wakka: The representation of complete ignorance. Not saying that he is a bad person but in real life, almost all of us chooses this. He is narrow-minded but this pushes him to be even more narrow-minded and even racist to the Al Bhed because of a fatal incident with his brother Chappu. Because Chappu choose something that is related to the Al Bhed, Wakka throws all of his hatred towards that race. However, all of us should be mature enough to know that you cannot have hatred and ignorance towards someone or something because of a past incident because, like Rikku, everyone is different and they contrast the stereotypical details of what a race, religion, or idea is. Once he learns about Yuna being an Al Bhed, it shuts him down because now he can't decide what to accept.

Yuna: My favorite person. She is who what breaks the bonds and is the "Willing" person. People such as Yuna have no second thoughts of putting others before themselves and always give up their time and sacrifice something to help achieve happiness. As with religion, I see her as someone who is able to be open-minded and is able to convert to the truth regardless if it will infuriate people. At peace and optimistic about the future, Yuna represents as the "Hope for Mankind", "Savior", "Female Jesus" or whatever you want to call her. She is willing to change the world for the better.

Seymour Guado: Right now, I have more respect for Seymour. Sure, he is creepy, insane and the primary villain but when you delve into his history more, you would understand why he chose that he did. You think that he is that villain who deserves what he had coming but at the end, he suffered the same way because of the "Awful Majority". By the "Awful Majority", I meant by what the World sees the person in reality. Because Seymour was bred by two different race, people resists him and the family. Just like how Whites would frown upon people if a Black person were to date a white person. But anyway, because of this, Seymour is exiled from the rest of the world and after losing his support (His mother) to becoming an aeon, he sees life differently and he start making schemes to change everything. His intentions may have been wrong but when you think about it, Seymour and Yuna shares one goal: To get rid of a cycle of suffering. They contrast each other very much but even so, Seymour has the one important fact that is true even in life: Even if the villain is gone, people will still suffer. It is because humankind has the natural ability to fall in error time and again.

Spira: The world and ours are alike. Diverse, different personalities with different cultures with different beliefs but still destine to die no matter what. Would the world resist change or accept it all depend on the one person who will change it. For that, you see the difference in FFX and FFX-2. A small group made a big difference. Would we do the same in reality?

Lulu: In all honesty, she is the most matured person of them all, something in which all of us should strive for. What is great about Lulu?She never place any blame on anyone. Like Yuna, she also question the Yevon religion in time. Lulu mature through her experiences as a guardian.. She is one of those strict people who you think is always mad (May I use Vox for example :p ) but that doesn't mean that they stop loving you. Like Yuna, she discards the false beliefs and accepts the truths even faster.You know what else she represents? Guilt. Guilt of what she failed to do.Sometimes in life, people are still hold back mentally and spiritually because of a incident and one can have a hard time to face those memories.

Summoners, Fayths, & Aeons: Summoners are the soldiers who are willing to fight, even if it means to give themselves up for a great cause. The aeons and Fayths are the one of the supernatural and higher beings, giving the summoner power and the will to go on. They are also the ones who give the summoners their "gifts" to call upon their power whenever the need arise. Still, they are all the same. Each of them are operating in their role to protect, serve, restore, honor and to fight. You could say that the fayths and aeons are like the summoner's "Guardian Angels" in a sense. Not only that, whenever the summoners and fayths meet face-to-face in private, the fayths are the ones who gives the summoner wisdom. It doesn't matter what the false religion Yevon says, only the fayths for they are the ones who carry wisdom and knowledge and the truths. Another thing is that they themselves are older than the Yevon religion themselves. This is shows that in reflection to reality that the supernatural can be older than what we think.

Farplanes, Unsents & Fiends: We can say that the Farplane is a resting place. However, I would like to say that the Farplane can be view as the heaven and hell because even though the Farplane is the beautiful, resting place for the souls, it is also a dangerous place that holds countless fiends in which you can see in Final Fantasy X-2. The unsents are like spirits or ghosts who were unable to move on to the next life in the reality-perspective and we can classify fiends as monsters or demonic forces who attacks the living.

Yevon: The fictional religion itself is based on Real-World religions: Buddhism, Catholicism and Shintoism. The fictional religion would also have their set of classes and orders with the priests, monks and nuns. Another fact is that the symbols are based on Buddhism and Shidon scripts.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I don't know that I see Tidus as an agnostic. Yevon was so obviously corrupt. Even in the early stages of the game, when you meet Seymour, who barely hides his evil, combined with characters like Wakka who were practically brainwashed like they were in a cult, I thought it was clear enough to the gamer that Yevon wasn't going to turn out to smell like roses. So Tidus raising questions about this doesn't make me think he's someone who's really contemplating how the universe works. He's just showing himself not to be a complete idiot. And he also was raised in a very different world from the rest of the characters. If he had been born and raised in Spira like everyone else, would he have thought to question things?

Spira is a much smaller world than ours, and the people who make it up are really much more similar to each other than the people who make up ours. Almost everyone speaks the same language, for one, and almost everyone has the same religion. That religion may turn out to be a sham, but for the most part, the people were likely still taught the same values and beliefs. I think it much easier for Spira to band together than it would be for us. So no, I don't think we would do the same.

3. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Tidus can be agnostic to an extent. He did end up accepting a few of the teachings such as the job of a summoner and a guardian and the mission of defeating Sin and even understand the prayer. However, he would still question many of the teachings and go against them including when he ignored Wakka and the Besaid monk on Besaid and when he did not bother to turn back once Dona and Barthello forced him to enter the Cloister of Trials. Interesting, nothing bad happened to him.

As for Spira itself, Spira was larger than what it usually was in FFX and maybe even FFX-2 even though it has expanded. Spira was most likely at the stage where we were at but with the birth of Sin, Spira went backwards instead of forward so maybe we are making Spira the 1800s version of our world maybe as an estimate. That and a lot can happen before the events of FFX. They may had more religions and languages before the war and birth of Sin. You see all of the machina ruins to show evidence of their existence mainly.

4. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Taking a look at the world map, and thinking about how quickly it took to walk to the cities the game takes you to, there's no way Spira is anywhere close to as big as Earth. 1000 years before X, the cities may all have been much bigger, equivalent to the Zanarkand we see in the start of the game, and there may have been more people in the world, but I don't think it could have come close to where we are now. Though I do agree that it's possible that there may have once been other religions (the languages, not so much, only because I think people would still have been speaking them in some form, as the Al Bhed did). Still, I think our world, even back to the 1800s, or before that, was too large, with populations too diverse and spread apart, to react to anything as Spira has done.