• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Death Note (2017)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kairi831, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kairi831

Kairi831 Active Member

Considering a thread hasn't been made about this movie, has no one watched it? Or is everyone maybe too worried about clashing opinions, because trust me, in my friend group there was nothing but clashes.

Let my start off by saying that it was a good movie. A totally unbiased opinion, it was good. Out of all the other failed live actions of this movie this one wasn't so bad. Ignoring the anime completely for a moment, the actors were ok. William Dafoe.. Come on now, one can not simply hate on Dafoe. His portrayal of Ryuk was phenomenal. I loved him. The adorable Nat Wolff made another appearance in a movie I watched. If you've watch TFIOS you know why he's familiar. Or even from The Naked Brothers Band. Eh?? EH?? Is it starting to click. Okay, anyways. Wolff and Dafoe were good actors. Keith Stanfield who even played L was good at portraying a completely different side of L, but hey who am I to judge.

But, even though it was a good movie, I didn't particularly enjoy it. And I won't watch it again.

Now, I did, but I didn't. Indulging myself with the anime and manga at a young age left impressions on me for how things were supposed to be. Now I know Netflix probably only could afford limited rights or even were only allowed limited rights so they couldn't completely make a mirror image live action (which would have been AWESOME) but because of how not super similar the live action was to the anime made me want to nitpick at EVERYTHING. And I mean everything down to Light's last name. Live action - Turner. Anime - Yagami. Yeah, they so did that. But for bigger nitpicks.

SPOILERS DOWN BELOW

Now these are only going to be the major points, not small ones like "Oh, the Misa character smoked a cigarette and was a "cheerleader". Yeah, none of that.

1) So, in the beginning, when Light and Ryuk first meet, as comical as it was, Light was a total p*ssy. I can say that right? Not sure how condoned swearing is on this site. But he acted so horrified of this creature which was total opposite to how Light would have actually acted. In the anime, Light was EXPECTING Ryuk. So he totally played it cool. That, is how I pictured Light, not screaming and trying to run away. #NotMyLight

2) L. If you've seen the movie, I obviously don't need to go into anymore detail.. But for my sake I will. It's not because he's black. No, Stanfield did a good job acting as a new interpretation of L. It's just the character in itself. In the anime, L was far from public as possible. He was so secretive about everything that it even took him a long time (several episodes) for him to introduce himself to the police working the Kira investigation. As well as I am trying to remember, I do believe that was maybe 1/3 of the way into anime. But in my books more like halfway because then the anime dragged ooooon the last third by bringing in the little finger puppet character. That was Near correct, I don't know I did stop paying attention to the little things later in the season.

Anywhoooo back to the point.

Live action L just was so quick to jump into the media and get into all the publicity. I didn't like it. It wasn't truly L. Granted he didn't show his face or anything up front, but still. #NotMyL

3) Where's my other Shinigami? ...

4) The Misa portrayal was a mistake. I hated her character. She sucked. I'm not trying to be super bias or anything at all but she SUCKED. She got super bitchy and "controlling" over the death note. Which kind of bends the rules because didn't one of the rules have something along the lines of if the book were to enter another person's hands the first owner would have to die or something? That could be totally inaccurate, but it's been a good minute since I've seen the anime and I only watched Death Note live action the day it came out. Either way I'm sure I liked the anime Misa better. #NotMyMisa

5) Shinigami Eyes.......... #NotMyDeathNote

6) That damn ferris wheel scene. That whole actual fluffing ending starting from the dance. The amount of "uhm oh excuse me" I experienced during that whole ending put me out of commission for nearly the rest of my life. First Light was going to die with his name being in the book. Then Light countered that and wrote Misa's and killed her off. I keep calling her Misa but her actual movie name is "Mia" Jesus Christ, they were one letter off. Did they just forget to write an 's' in there or something. Goddamn fluffing movie producers.

I'm not even sorry but Margaret Qualley can take whatever "leftover" acting she has in her from this movie and take it right back to The Leftovers. #NotMyMisa

There were definitely more points in which could have been covered, but let me keep this short about my opinion and hear yours. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't? I personally will not watch this movie again, nor do I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the anime. Now if you're not an anime fan, then yeah go for it. Watch the movie, no one cares.

If you enjoyed the anime, and enjoyed the live action.. Why? Like all sarcasm aside why, because I will admit I'm pretty bias to the new movie because the anime was where I developed a lot of my character portrayals and I don't like when my characters are tampered with. It's annoying. Ruins the feel 110.

Overall, I guess I could give the movie a solid 6. +5/10 for being a good movie no doubt, -5/10 for being completely not what I was excited for and +1/10 for making me laugh when Light met Ryuk. Can't even lie that part was funny.

Taboo Sho likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

I thought I posted in this thread but here's my two cents. I feel like going in it's own direction was the best way of doing a live action adaptation of Death Note. It's just how I feel that a two hour movie just isn't a enough time for us to grasp concepts and connect with characters. It's just a lot of it was rushed and I think the ending actually was the best part of the movie even though Light showed no signs of such merticulous details when it comes to the death note. The characters were just too young and immature to be thought of as anything else.