• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Contest Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Destiny, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Since again interest is arising for Traditional Showcase contests, here we can discuss how about running it.

Also it does not need to be just Short Stories. Traditional Showcase is multiple things from videos, art, music/lyrics/compositions, poetry, if it's a custom piece of expression I'd consider Traditional Showcase.

2. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

Perhaps we could start having our writing competitions again? We could set guidlines for genre for example. Maybe require certain phrases or styles to be included for the work? Im sure there must be some creative minds here. I know there must be. :D

3. SUDoKu

SUDoKu New Member

I'd love a writing competition. I am kind of aspiring to be an author, and am not too bad at stories. And art competition would also be almost in my forte.

4. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

Then we should definately see about arranging one for those. Because I miss the competitions. ^_^

5. Destiny

Destiny Guest

Ok I'll look into it. Maybe get a Comitee together to discuss going about the different competitions.

6. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Also would be good to have a thread where we can discuss on different competition ideas... as long as we do not have the winner decide what competition we will have. I honestly do not like that idea even though it doesn't matter.

7. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

Gotta say I agree there. I think there should be one person in charge of the competition itself should choose the theme. KhPlanet's always been full of creative spirit. Im sure theres someone who could do it. It was Kitty last time wasnt it? Or at least the first one was I think.

8. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

^ Yeah, I did it the first time. Then I think Destiny took over for a bit.

I don't mind running it again, if that's what is decided, if there's interest, but people need to join. I hate when people are all "Yeah, we gotta do such-and-such" but then when I set it up, no one bothers to take advantage. <_<

But I'm all for more competitions on the forums. And I like seeing other arts besides digital being showcased.

9. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

I didnt get the chance to take part in the ones after the first, because I was graduating of prep/highschool. I had to leave for two bloody years. But I'd be okay with you running it. I would most definately participate. I need to brush up on my fictional writing skills for my articles anyway.

10. SUDoKu

SUDoKu New Member

I'd love to join a contest. I don't care if I lose, but I get myself better known.

11. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

I very much like that attitude Sudoku. ^_^ Btw what's the spin on the Sotw contests? Havent there been any lately?

12. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I wouldn't mind doing some contests. Anything to get my creativity back on the level.

13. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

I'm late, but I wouldn't mind a contest. I've been suffering from terrible writer's block recently.

14. Kitty

So what exactly is it that you all are wanting? Do you want me (or if anyone else wants to volunteer to run the contest, speak up, because I'd actually kind of like to see a moderator or an interested member get involved) to just give a prompt (i.e. write about kingdom hearts, for a lazy example) and everyone is free to write whatever they want, poem, short story, play, etc, within a certain word limit? Or would you prefer something more particular? What kind of judging do you want to see- one judge (the contest runner) picking a favorite based on some criteria or voting by the site members?

I want to know what people who will actually participate want to see happen with this.

15. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

I would prefer that everybody is allowed to write about what they want. However, I wouldn't mind writing with a certain theme, as long as the subject isn't too narrow. I'd also like a word limit.
    I would definitely like everyone to be able to vote. That would make sure that everyone gets involved and that there are no biases.

If there is a prompt, I would prefer that it's not about Kingdom Hearts. Whilst I like KH, there wouldn't be much room for creativity if everyone wrote about their version of Kingdom Hearts III, for example.

16. Kitty

No one else has an opinion on how the contest should be run?

If I were to post an entry thread right now, who would compete? Post if you're interested, because I want to make sure there's still interest before I go through the trouble.

17. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

I might not be able to enter. My English teacher assigned us a ridiculously long project yesterday, so I'll work out some kind of schedule to see if I'll be able to enter. I probably will, but if I don't, then you know why. Apologies.

18. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I'm not too particular about how it's run. Though I will admit, I think that competitions should offer us at least some level of direction, since just telling people to write somrthing probably won't work out as smoothly. An idea that I really liked that I think could work for this is something I've seen in a character writing contest: basically, for every competition (in the situation I'm referencing, it's a weekly contest) the person running the contest offers a word or two to act as thematic inspiration, which could be interpreted by the individual contestants in any manner they saw fit.

For example, there was a week in which the "theme" was "iron." Thus, in response, I made a medieval blacksmith character and submitted it for the contest.

19. Kitty

Thanks for the feedback.

I would like to see at least a few more people willing to participate before I go forward with this. *hint hint*

20. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

I would love to participate in a short story contest and since its close to Halloween. A "Horror" would be cool but I expect not much people would participate. It wouldn't be a contest if I were the only one competing.