• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Desert Warrior, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Even though the MCU really boosted the popularity of some Marvel heroes (Super hard to believe, but before the MCU Iron Man was a B-list hero), I think Spider-Man still is Marvel's most popular hero. At the very least he's one of the most popular, so that's one of the reasons why this deal falling apart hit a bunch of people so hard.

Thor certainly can be the figurehead for the off-Earth portions of the MCU, but I don't think it would be a good idea to have the majority of future films take place in space. I feel if the focus gets away from the superhero stuff on Earth too much then something will start to feel like it's missing.

I once read somebody seriously argue that if you remove all the bad parts of Spider-Man 3, then it's a good movie. Yeah. I will say that generally people look upon Sandman positively in that movie, but everything else not so much.

Wonder Woman and Shazam are both really good. Easily the top DCEU movies (Which I know most people don't see that as saying much, but they're both good movies).

There's a lot going wrong with the Star Wars side of Disney right now. Including things like the current head of Lucasfilms (Kathleen Kennedy) saying shit that really alienated the core Star Wars fanbase. There seems to be a lot of "fans have complaints and the response from Lucasfilms is essentially 'fuck you.'"[/QUOTE]

I remember after Homecome the issues people had with Zendaya's character being called MJ. As I recall at the time Marvel essentially backpedaled, saying she was called MJ but wasn't the actual MJ. I get where the outcry was coming from, since MJ herself is a specific character (Redheaded, supermodel, not a social outcast) and trying to play that character with an actress that doesn't fit the part seems wrong (An issue that keeps on popping up lately). Reminds me how Stan Lee would vehemently oppose any attempts to change Peter Parker to being black or anything other than the nerdy white guy that he is. But, I suppose that's its own discussion people might be (understandably) hesitant to get into.

Apparently Disney isn't going with the standard streaming format. Seems they plan on releasing things on a weekly schedule like standard television

I first heard about this from a video on YouTube, talking about how this might not necessarily be a bad thing. The YouTuber argued that there's something lost when you binge an entire series, that waiting a week or so between episodes helps keep individual episodes in your mind and lets you draw more enjoyment out of each of them.

That's good to hear. I know he's gonna stop doing these movies at some point, but honestly I feel Chris Hemsworth needs a big movie (like Endgame) for his final role in the MCU. To have it end with a Thor movie almost seems like wasted potential.

Kitty likes this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Marvel sold off all of the characters people cared about at the time and were able to do a surprisingly good job building a franchise off the B and C-list characters no one gave a crap about. I have way more feelings for the other characters than I do Spider-Man, but I can see why so many people are upset. The studios obviously don't care, though.

I kinda forgot about the talk about splitting the earth and space-related films. I agree with you that spending too much time away from Earth would be a mistake. I wonder why they decided to toss Scarlett Johansson off the cliff, because keeping the team together was Natasha's role in Endgame and it would've made sense to keep her around on Earth as a familiar face with the newer recruits. But setting up anyone else as the face of the Earth team besides Spider-Man would've been in the MCU's best interests, knowing the deal could fall apart at any time.

So stupid. Why purposely antagonize the fans, especially when you've got a fanbase that takes it all really seriously? These bosses have been really shitting the bed lately, between this and Sony's CEO saying Kevin Feige (and by extension, Marvel Studios) didn't do much for them.

I remember there being a backlash before Homecoming came out, but after the film was released, I think it mostly died down. I was skeptical at the time because I generally find it annoying when actors don't look like their characters in the source material (and lately there seems to be this weird trend of erasing redheads, which bugs me), but she's a good actress and does a good job in the films. I also get why Stan Lee would be opposed to changes to his property but Marvel seems really weird about Spider-Man in general. Like there was a story not terribly long ago about Disney/Marvel refusing to let some dad put a Spider-Man logo on his child's gravestone, with the reason being something about how "they didn't want the character associated with death." Now the real reason probably has more to do with keeping their copyrights, but it's still sort of an odd protectiveness of the character imo.

Ugh, Disney.

I think it depends on the series. Some shows work better binged and some you need that time between episodes. I like the freedom of being able to watch whenever.

Yeah, Thor's definitely become one of my favorite characters, and as excited as I am about the idea of Jane Thor, I was not wanting to see Odinson pushed aside. I agree that when he does eventually leave the franchise, they should do it in a big way, but I'm hoping that won't be for a while. I don't see any reason why Love and Thunder needs to be some "passing of the torch" film like I see it being called in shitty clickbait articles. If Hemsworth still wants to make movies, no reason why both Thors can't kick some ass and share the screen.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  3. Kitty

So, it seems Sony and Disney made a deal and Spidey's back in the MCU. He'll be back for at least one standalone film and at least one non-Spidey MCU film according to articles like this one. So this was all a whole lot of nothing.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  4. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

As hollywood tends to be. lol

5. Kitty

I mean, it went about how I expected. I'm not sure what the point all was, though. As a PR stunt, it failed to make anyone look good, but I suppose it's kept Spidey in the news and on people's minds during FFH's digital release on the 17th and its bluray/dvd release coming up on Tuesday, so there's that.

I wonder if they'll use the one standalone film to tie up the MCU loose threads and ease Spider-Man out, or if they'll go all in on the Iron Man Jr angle, considering they could end up right back here again. My guess is that the other film would be Avengers 5, probably in Phase 5. I doubt they'd waste the character in someone else's standalone film if they can only use him one other time, especially since he didn't really have a relationship with anyone else but Tony. It'd be weird for him to pop up in any of the films already announced, imo.

6. Desert Warrior

Cuz some people would rather prop up ideology over making their fans happy.

Really? I never noticed.

Well fortunately the movie comes out soon enough.

7. Kitty

So Marvel just recently announced five new release dates for unknown films. One is in 2022 and the other four are in 2023. I would assume one is Guardians 3 and another is Ant-Man 3. After that, I don't know. Captain Marvel 2? Blade? I'm guessing it's still too early to see X-Men or the Fantastic Four films, but I suppose it's a possibility.

8. Desert Warrior

One is the Black Widow movie. Scrolling through YouTube earlier I saw the teaser trailer for it. May 1st 2020.