• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

The Inori Chronicles (Act 1)

Discussion in 'Original Roleplays (IC)' started by RebelMurf, Nov 26, 2017.

1. RebelMurf

RebelMurf Hero of the Wild

Stepping out of the woods Ausar entered a clearing. There stood a lone house with a trail of smoke coming from the chimney. There was a faint light shining through the window but otherwise there was no sign of life. Ausar did a quick check of all his equipment. He readjusted the brace on his left arm trying to tighten the broken strap. His battle with that damned witch wasted a lot of time and inventory. Focusing on his hearing Ausar attempted to listen for any hint of movement in the house. There wasn’t a sound. The entire area was unnaturally quiet for being so deep in the wilds. Resigning himself to the fact he wouldn’t learn anything from out here he drew his sword and made his way up the path.

Reaching out Ausar’s hand hesitated at the door handle. He suddenly brought his sword out in front of him and braced it with his free arm. Without seemingly any warning the door burst in an explosion of splinters outwards throwing Ausar with such force that he landed back at the forest's tree line. For a moment the world was a brilliant sheet of white. As Ausar’s vision returned to normal so too did the feeling throughout his body. A large splinter had lodged itself in his legs. Fortunately it had missed anything vital. Otherwise he had plenty of new cuts and splinters he could attend to.

His vision of the treetops and sky overhead wavered slightly as it slowly returned to normal. Only to be darkened suddenly as an annoyingly familiar face came into view. “Told you.” the red haired witch spoke, a rather patronising smile crossed her face as she offered a hand down to help him stand.

“I thought I told you to leave and not let me see you again” Ausar groaned accepting the hand and allowed her to help him up. He tested the leg, it was sore but he could walk on it.

“Ummm, you’re welcome.” Hadria shot back as he accepted her help and then walked away. She shifted her weight to one hip, crossing her arms as she watched him.

He made his way to where his sword had fallen. Picking it up he examined the blade. He groaned inwardly as he saw a large fracture traveling the length of the weapon. “What sort of witch has that much raw power” he thought to himself.

“Why are you here?” he asked bringing himself back to attention.

“I told you before. That witch is mean. She would have killed you. What kind of good samaritan would I be if I didn’t come to your rescue.” Hadria’s ever present sarcasm not missing a beat in the face of Ausar’s clear annoyance. “She’s long gone by now though… “ she spoke while yawning, stretching her arms above her head “...with your heavy steps she probably heard you coming from a mile away. Pitty about your knife though. It was pretty.”

Ausar decided to ignore most of the witch’s sarcastic comments. Running his hand the length of the blade once more he returned it to its scabbard. “Don’t feel too bad about it” He said in his own sarcastic tone. “I can fix it”. Ausar looked to where the house had been. As his would be rescuer had so helpfully pointed out it had disappeared. He made his way up the path again limping as his blood continued to pour from his wounds. Once at the edge where he had previously stood in front of the door he reached out with his aura in hopes of catching a hint of any magical energy in the area.

Ausar involuntarily shivered as his aura found a cold dark magic. It was unlike anything he had felt before. Letting out a sigh he made his way towards what must have been a rock pool and began tending to himself.

Hadria noted his sour mood as the man walked toward what used to be the witches house. In spite of their rather rough first impressions, Hadria’s respect for the enhanced in general softened her slightly. She walked after him as he began trying to tend to his wounds. Crouching in front of him to make eye contact. “Yeah… right. With your impressive magic abilities you displayed back there. I’m sure you’ll make quick work of it.” she sighed, somewhat amused “Here…” she extended her hand to him. “Let me see it. I’ll see what I can do.”

“Why the sudden change of heart?” Ausar asked only having to slightly feign the surprise in his voice.

Hadria brushed off his distrust “Tell me, enhanced. Do you want my help or not?”

Despite any suspicion he sat up allowing the woman more room to examine the chunk of wood in his leg. “Ausar”

Hadria paused from what she was doing to glance back up at his face “Yes soreness is to be expected. Did you expect it to tickle?” she was somewhat annoyed by the man’s complaining.

Ausar looked puzzled for the briefest of moments. “No, Ausar. Ausar Dan Inori.”

Hadria took hold of the wood in Ausar’s leg and, without warning, quickly pulled it from the man’s flesh, using magic to ensure any splinters were removed along with it. The spell she used to seal the wound seemed to take very little effort as Hadria performed it while continuing the conversation as though she was barely paying attention to it at all. “Dan?” she repeated, clearly recognising it. “I don’t hear that title often. Not these days, old one.”

Ausar gritted his teeth against the rough treatment. “Efficient” he thought to himself taking in a breath through his mouth. “It’s not often a person recognizes the title these days” he said stretching out his leg. He began to absently remove some of the smaller splinters that had gotten caught on his arms and jacket. “And who are you exactly?”

“One who is well versed in history.” Hadria laughed, straightening herself back onto her feet.

Ausar watched her for a moment before standing up himself. His leg was healed perfectly. Apart from the rip in his clothes and the blood stain you wouldn’t have been able to tell any injury had occurred. “And does the one well versed in history have a name?” he asked again.

The woman shrugged, “It’s Hadria. Just Hadria.” she jabbed somewhat at Ausar’s traditional title. But mostly decided to leave out her own family name, as she had abandoned it long ago.

“Well then, just Hadria. I appreciate the help. Thank you.” Ausar once again took a quick inventory of his gear and satisfied that most everything was in place he made to move past the woman. “Where are you headed?” he asked as he stepped past her.

Hadria hadn’t really considered her next move, the question caught her off guard. She spoke honestly, “I’m not sure. You’ve scared off my target. And used up my equipment at that.” she couldn’t help but be a bit amused by the irony they had both ruined each other’s chances at the same goal. “I’ll have to go back to Fallkirk for now, to replenish some things I suppose.” The idea of it was somewhat daunting. As the town was not keen on witches. But she would manage.

Ausar nodded picking up on the hint of annoyance in Hadria’s tone. “It seems our paths are leading us in the same direction. Maybe we should travel together. I hear these wilds can be quite dangerous for a single person to be wandering about, especially with night fast approaching” he said allowing himself the barest trace of a smile.

Hadria sucked air in through her teeth, “I mean, sure if you still think you need my protection. I could use the company. At least for now. Don’t get used to it though, I have a lot of damsels to rescue from these woods.” Hadria clapped Ausar’s arm a bit playfully and took the lead. “Shall we?”

Ausar watched after her for a moment. She certainly was an odd one. Ausar couldn’t recall ever meeting someone like her. Shaking his head he fell into step beside her. “My hero” he mocked.

(OOC: Firstly thanks for your patience with me for putting this up. For now I just want everyone to work at their own thing within the RP so we can eventually have the characters interact and meet naturally. If you get stuck or need a hand with anything just let me know)

Taboo Sho likes this.
  2. Akira

Akira True Lord of Arenas

Sammy was cold huddled under her small make shift shelter the air was damp and had that night time chill that she was becoming to use to. She was exhausted sick and tired of being on her own, of being cold, of being afraid, of self-loathing. She had cried tears in a way she didn't think was possible since that terrible day al those many years ago.

‘Get your self together… well if I can’t die, my protective power just won’t let me jerk...’ (Sam smiled to himself; he knew she didn't mean it, not truly) ‘I might as well find something to do with my life (Sam allowed himself to feel hope for the fist time in a long while) but what… every one I know is dead…’ she could feel her eyes getting heavy.

‘Will I have a nightmare? Most likely… wonder which one… is that really what my protective magic experienced…' (Sam felt deep regret and sorrow at the fact that his actions plagued Sammy at night, ‘if I could do it, I would protect you from them as well’) or am I just filling in the blanks…’

It started with Sammy’s memory, she was in her cell, the gas started to fill the room, while this normally made her feel better as the link to the power faded, today it brought terror ’NO NO No no no…. It’s my time, Psycho said so yesterday.. no one comes back from that room’ She could hear the footfall of Hateful and Psycho coming to collect them. As they stepped into the room she saw Psycho playing with those stupid cursed blades. Sammy could feel everything going dark, it was a feeling she was familiar with but only when she was being subjected to pain. This is where the memory ended.

Sam knew he was fast but hadn't had the opportunity to test out, just how fast he could be. 'I am going to have to be ridiculously fast just to get us out of this alive.' He knew better than Sammy just what happened in that room. Psycho witch loved boasting of how she carved out the organs of her previous subject as she conducted those needlessly painful experiments on them, Sam was grateful Sammy never had to experience them in the moment of administration. Sam was nervous and excited. Excited because if this worked he would finally have a taste of freedom. Psycho was flipping her right-handed dagger as she so often did mindlessly. Sam grabbed the blade just as it left her hand and brought it through Psycho's neck; before she had the chance to realise he had moved he used the hand sign, the one Limpy always used to freeze the prisoners, to bind Hateful to the spot. Sam smiled to himself ‘I believe we can do this’ he grabbed the other blade from Psycho's left hand. She went to protest; Sam saw the shock in her eyes as her head fell from her shoulders. Sam started to walk past Hateful, then drove the left blade towards his chest the blade seemed to want to go up a tad to the right, Sam obliged.
    The life disappeared from behind Hateful's eyes. Psycho's body finally hit the ground.

Sammy awoke in revulsion, she was somewhat relieved to not have to witness the bloodbath of horrors that she knew followed. She didn't usually awake from her nightmares until they were concluded. Sam knew something was wrong it was to quite. Then he heard the sound of several persons trudged through the bog they had made camp in. He could hear their curses.
    Sammy caressed the pendant around her neck. Then they felt it, one of the trudgers was reaching out with magic. Sam took over knowing he could completely hide them grabbed his blades and moved away from their shelter as quickly and quietly as possible circled around and started tracking the group from a distance.

'Who are they? Will I need to kill them... probably' Sam thought.

RebelMurf likes this.
  3. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Monsters, men, witches, and enhanced. All of them were different in so many ways, from morals, to instincts. Such fantastic creatures, and if they would just kneel... that'd be extravagant. But alas they don't, and thus they have to die. More specifically the monsters. At least for now. Well anyways, the latest pray was dead. An easy target to say the least. And now they could move on to bigger and more powerful things. making short work of the corpse, cutting it up to use for possible materials for poisons or remedies later, the robed figure of Phoenix smiled pleasantly and walked into the woods.

"Honestly. If I didn't know any better, I'd have tried to kill her eons ago. Well... I mean it hasn't be that long. Only a couple hundred years or so..." Sighing to themselves, they leaned against a nearby tree and looked up to the sky. "So much to learn... So much to master and wield. I could have been better... Why couldn't she see that. I just needed time! I'll prove her wrong thou-"

Suddenly, they looked up, turning quickly as the leaves began to rustle in the distance. Someone or something was approaching. Perfect. Another prey to execute. Quickly and quietly making their way up the tree, Phoenix laid in wait as the creature approached, filling their needles with a paralytic poison, and whispering a spell to enhance the tools power, just in case. A smile appeared on their face when the figure came into view... A human. Human man, to be specific. This was a dangerous game now... As it could very well be an enhanced. Then as they got closer, Phoenix's smile got even wider. Wonderful! This was not only most definitely an enhanced, it was also the so called "leading man" of this area.

So high and mighty, that Balthier. Thinks he's all that with his magical blade. Unlimited magical enhancements, so long as he could provide the magical stamina for it. Though his limits were nothing to sneeze at, and the physical damage from the blade was devastating in it's own right, without the enhancement, his attitude was one of his bigger weaknesses. Phoenix had been waiting for this prey for months. Scouting him and learning his moves, his awareness, his level of skill. He was good, no doubt, but his confidence would be his downfall. Despite being an enhanced with heightened senses, among other things, Balthier had a fascination with song and dance. So much so, that he'd been caught off guard numerous times before by many others attempting to take his life, monsters mainly. But this time, it was no mere monster. And that loud boisterous, carefree attitude, that often got him ambushed, would prove to be his demise.

As he walked by, loudly singing some old tune, and prancing like some sort of fool, Phoenix dove from the tree, launching three needles at the unsuspecting man. However, unlike Phoenix predicted, Balthier turned on a dime and blocked the needles meant for his neck and spine, though his leg was pierced. "I may not have been able to hear you friend, but you reek of death. Probably should fix that before trying to ambush someone." The enhanced smirked and enhanced his blade with fire magic before making a swift strike against his would be assassin.

Phoenix growled, this was not the plan. Whatever. It mattered little. Drawing their stiletto, they quickly jumped back to avoid the powerful swing muttering the same spell as earlier to enhance the weapon's might. It was all a matter of time now. Dodging and weaving against Balthier's merciless strikes, Phoenix bided their time. And then it happened.

As the poison made it's way through Balthier's veins much slower then it would to a normal human, he had no idea he had even been inflicted, so the short burst of immobility in his legs caught him off guard and he fell forward. What a fool he'd been, not to assume the assassin would use poison. Damn. He couldn't die here. Not like this. He was the leading man after all!

As Balthier fell forward, he made one last swing attempt to try and kill his assassin, but throwing caution to the wind, Phoenix grabbed the blade, which easily cut into their hand and burned it, and used Balthier's own forward momentum against him as they jabbed the enhanced stiletto straight into the man's heart. Balthier cried out in pain only once before he was gone, his overconfidence getting the best of him, finally.

Phoenix stood over him with a smile and before taking his blade and storing it within their cloak. Calling the needles back to them they sighed contentedly. They gazed at their hand which had been cauterized by the intense flames coating Balthier's sword, before tucking it away within their robe and turning away. This body could be found, they didn't care. It was a statement, after all.

"What a fine kill that was... I'm getting stronger now, certainly. He went down far more easily then the last few. What a waste of an enhanced... Confidence will only get you so far." And with that, they turned on their heel, and vanished into the forest once again.

4. Akira

Sam felt a sense of relief. No need to kill tonight. He took no pleasure in killing in fact he hated it most of the time, a necessary evil. After shadowing the trudgers for a good hour Sam was satisfied that they had no interest in them at all. The trudgers consisted of an elderly male who hobbled around on arthritic legs and a makeshift walking stick, who was accompanied by a young witch child and very noisy clumsy young male of whom a plethora of curses and complaints were coming from. ‘Definitely a Roomy if ever I’ve seen one’, in the prison the staff would have bets on whether prisoner could pull themselves together in the week if they didn’t they would be brought to The Room of which you don’t return, Psycho loved to toy with Roomies.

Old timer "Shut up, if I ave to listen to your whining anoder minute I'll cut out yer tongue and use it to wipe me arse, you miserable cur....day found out yerr sis had magic, cuz of You. It was only matta of time befor day took er, like day don de poor Huerst girl, dat bein yer fult too "

The Roomy was silent for a while but it wasn’t long before he was whining again. “I said what I did to protect Ellie” the Old timer flew into a rage with a mighty swing of his stick he smacked the Roomy across the jaw with a sickening whack. The Old timer went very quit when he spoke next there was a lot of venom behind his quit tone. “James ye did it cuz she spurned yer advances, called her a witch, why? cuz she wunt let ye tuch er, a good choice on er part. Ellie was safe no one spected nufing till you bring da notion of a witch, den day start tinkin all de strange tings is mighy witch like. You put er in danger an brought de witch unters down on us”

This peaked Sam’s interest he needed to know more. He pulled the hood causing his features to be completely obscured. Snuck around behind the Young witch Ellie drew one of the daggered stepped out with it drawn across Ellie’s throat. “I have no intention of hurting anyone tonight but will slit the girl’s throat at a hint of magic or any force directed towards me, do you understand?” Ellie was smart she didn’t nod but wisped a quit “yes” the Old Timers rage turned to fear, Sam knew how dangerous fear could be and therefore kept Ellie between them. James was still sprawled on the ground whimpering.

“Now I need to know what direction are you fleeing from, how long it has been since the witch hunters first showed up and how long you have been on the run?”

The old timers fear turned to confusion “ wat yer want ta kno dat ferr?”

“Curiosity can be a killer, answer me truthfully and you won’t need to be in fear of them anymore”

“I kno a gif orse wen I see one” the old timer gave explicit directions and information.

“Ellie learn to hide that power of yours. Build an internal wall around it, it put you in danger searching with it, do you understand” the blade was away now and she nodded. Without another word Sam faded into the night. While he hated killing he could barely contain the thrill of excitement building up, this being the first good lead in a long while. A smile spread across hiss face but his eyes were void of all humor ‘The hunt begins again’.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    RebelMurf likes this.
  5. RebelMurf

(OOC: Apologies for the delay in getting something up. There is a lot of narrative in the post as Hope and I were unable to get a decent amount of time to work on posts together. Hope if you want to change anything your character says or does feel free to do so. Otherwise this is a joint post between myself and Akira. Enjoy.)

Hadria and Ausar had arrived to the small secluded town at the forests edge. The witch must have cast a spell to make it more difficult to navigate the woods to her dwelling as the two made it in before the night had truly settled in. Of course, it also helped that the two weren't busy trying to kill each other. When they had arrived the people very delighted to see Ausar. The same could not be said of his new companion. They were immediately suspicious of her but Ausar vouching for her was enough to settle any possible disputes of her presence. The people were gladdend to hear that the witch causing the problems had moved on and wanted to throw a feast in Ausar’s honour. Thanking them for their kindness Ausar explained that he had to move on as he had other pressing matters. Hadria decided against staying in the small suspicious town even though they had offered the invitation to her. Ausar and Hadria learned that they were heading in separate directions but decided they would accompany each other along the trail to the main road.

“It’s been a pleasure” Ausar said. Hadria gave a slight nod. “Be careful where you are going, there have been reports of mysterious disappearances. Witches and Enhanced alike.”

“At least I won’t have to watch over you this time” Hadria said with a playful tone. Ausar simply smiled and shook his head.

“Donec iterum conveniant” Ausar said extending his hand.

“Hopefully under better circumstances” Hadria replied taking his hand and shaking it once.

The two went their separate ways. Ausar had been travelling for quite some time. He had made good progress the next village was around another two hour walk.

It was late in the night and many of the creatures of the night were on the prowl. None bothered Ausar. They had all learned that the nightwalkers with the glowing eyes don’t make for easy prey.

Ausar’s hearing picked up on something and at first he passed off as his imagination. Then he heard it again. It was faint but it was definitely there. Someone was fighting.

It had taken Sam three days to track down the witch hunters; they were incompetent at their job. The red rings around their eyes and the stink of monster showed them to be lesser enhanced, the ones who were normally given the menial tasks in the prison. ‘I’m glad they are this incompetent it means a quick kill, I don’t know how much longer I can maintain control.’

There were four of them. Sam jumped from the bush his blades sinking into the flesh of the necks of the first two. He had disembowelled the third before the fountains of blood started spraying from the open carotid arteries of his first two victims. He took a bit more time with the fourth, he needed to question him and hopefully pick up another lead. The enhanced drew his blade. Sam smiled a menacing smile; he could smell the fear rolling off the enhanced. He parried the wild blows of the hunter with ease and used his momentum to drive his blade into his leg.

Ausar stepped into the small clearing. He hadn’t been expecting the sight he came across. He was met by three dead bodies, all killed very efficiently. There were still two combatants. The younger of the two stood with his blade in his opponent’s leg.

Sam noticed the presence of another enhanced, glancing at his eyes he noted the glow of a full fledged enhanced. ‘Must be their leader, no need to spare the underling’. Sam decapitated the lesser enhanced and in the same motion removed the power capping pendant. He put a subtle read out on the leader's power; as soon as he felt the wall he withdrew his feeler. ‘Incredibly powerful or really weak, best to err on the side of caution.’ Sam cast the hand signal to freeze his opponent to the spot. Then with all the speed he could muster leaped upon the brute driving both daggers into his shoulders. He knew with a flick of his wrist the enhanced would die, but he needed to question him first.

Ausar felt the sign being cast on him. He hadn’t expected it and by the time he used his aura to dispel it the young man was on top of him. ‘Impressive’ Ausar thought to himself. In his younger days this young man may have been a challenge for him. But with experience behind him, Ausar was confident in his own abilities. He made a very short and fast motion connecting his forehead with the bridge of the young man’s nose.

Sam was knocked off his opponent into the pools of blood of his past victims. ‘He shouldn't have been able to move’ Sam thought as he lost control and Sammy took over. ‘NO No no I've put her in danger crap I’m too weak to regain control no no no No’

Ausar reached back with some difficulty as the daggers were still embedded in him. Drawing his own blade he waited for the young man to get up.

Sammy awoke in a pool of blood a man looming over her sword drawn. ‘Maybe this is the end’ she reached for her pendant, it was gone fear flew through her as her power built with incredible speed “I’m sorry” she whispered as the power erupted from her.

Ausar felt the sudden surge of magical ability. Where once there was none there was a sudden rush of pure untrained power. Not having enough time to strengthen his own magical defences Ausar positioned his blade at a downward angle with the point aimed at the new magical threat. With his free hand he reached around his belt and found his remaining dimeritium bomb. He released the tag on it igniting the fuse when without warning magical power erupted headed straight at Ausar.

‘At least he won't survive this’ Sam thought.

He’d had barely any time to react. He had managed to move his blade so that it took the brunt of the attack. Now lying on his back from the impact he could feel the wounds in his shoulders starting to heal. ‘If the kid hadn’t stabbed me first I might not have been so lucky’ he thought to himself. The jewels in the hilt of the blades had acted as a magnet for the magic so that the power had travelled through the blades disintegrating the weapons.

Sam’s reassurance turned to disbelief and fear, a fear he had never before felt as he struggled to regain control he felt himself take over for a split second but could not hold it. ‘Sammy I’m so so so sorry I have failed you’

Sammy curled up into a fetal position and started rocking back and forth “I’m sorry………….. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone” ‘NOT AGAIN SORRY SORRY Sorry sorry’ the tears began to flow.

Ausar brought up his sword arm and was dismayed to see only the hilt and part of his blade in his hand. “My... sword”. Sitting up he saw the young man curled up. A few feet from him was the shattered remains of his blade as well as the jewels from the daggers. Ausar stood and made his way to the shattered blade. “You, you broke my blade!” Ausar called in a rare show of strong emotion.

‘She Is Going Through Enough You Asshole’ Sam wished he could speak but could do nothing but increase in rage while he watched their soon to be captor lose it.

“You're alive, you’re alive” Sammy’s sobs turn to tears of joy. Sammy grabbed the man in an embrace. “I thought I had killed you, I’m sorry about your men, It’s my protective magic I can’t control it, I’m so sorry”.

Ausar was taken aback by the very sudden change in reaction. When he was embraced Ausar finally noticed the difference in the voice that was now speaking to him. When he saw their eyes he noticed they had also changed. ‘Strange’ He thought to himself. Taking the figure in his hands he moved them away from him. Taking a deep breath he regained his composure. “What’s your name?” he asked.

“Sammy” she blushed.

‘What are you doing, don’t tell him anything he’s too powerful to kill, at least in a fair fight’ Sam thought still struggling to build up enough energy to regain control.

“Sammy” Ausar tested the name after a short time. “That is some powerful magic you possess. Have you had any formal training?”

Looking into Ausar’s eyes Sammy felt a sense of comfort she had not experienced since her early childhood, in that moment she decided she liked him and that she could trust him, based on her gut instincts, she decided to tell the truth. “No, when the witch hunters tried I destroyed a wing of the prison” she instinctively went to caress the pendent “I need to find my pendant”

Sam usually relied on Sammy’s gut instincts so far they had always been correct he went into a state of contemplative confusion.

“Witch hunters? Prison?” Ausar asked.

“The ones who took me and killed my family. Even before that my dad use to warn me to be careful or the Witch Hunters would get me. I thought it was a ghoul story he had made up before they came” A sad smile crossed her face it had been so long since she had thought about her family her tears over them had long since dried up. “Some of them are witches some are lesser enhanced with red rings around their eyes some are full fledged enhanced like you, their eyes glow in the dark like yours.”

“Red rings?” Ausar asked mostly to himself. Looking at the bodies he saw that they weren’t standard humans. He made his way to one and began a close examination. “They’ve been mutated.” he said aloud again mostly to himself. “Are there many of these ‘lesser enhanced’?” Ausar asked Sammy.

“The ones I knew are dead but I know there are more, I just don’t know how many. There were two full fledged enhanced that I had contact with, my protective power killed the one, the other one wasn’t there when I escaped. I called him the other Big Boss Man; they never used names around us.”

“You said full fledged enhanced are like me? In that they have the same abilities or their eyes can glow as mine do?”

“I don’t know what your abilities are but the one who was killed could use hand signals to stun and freeze us prisoners to the spot, Big Boss Man could do magic like a witch and had similar equipment to you and both had eyes that were like yours. The sign of a full fledged enhanced. They were always given more respect than the lesser enhanced”

Sammy after searching the ground and through the congealing pools of blood went to wipe some of the sticky clots from between her fingers and felt her pendant within her hidden pouch, with a sigh of relief she returned it to her neck.

“Please, don’t refer to me as a full fledged. It makes it sound as if I’m the same as these... creatures” he said tapping a boot in the ribs of one of the bodies. Taking a dismembered head and wrapping it in cloth cut from one of their garments he tucked it on his belt. Moving his fingers he cast the sign of Quen around the package. This had a number of advantages to it. It stopped the head from decomposing due to the elements, but mostly it would protect Ausar from any leaking body fluids or foul smells. ‘Still have to go see my witch I suppose’.

Sam started memorising the hand signal Ausar used, replaying it over and over in his mind ‘I’ll have to use it to figure out what it does and I need to see it done again to make sure I have the exact movements’

“That pendent. It isn’t augmented for you is it?”

Sammy’s response was to simply look at Ausar quizzically and shrug her shoulders. “My protective power got it for me”

“Interesting” He said mostly to himself. “I can augment it meaning it will work better for you. And with some training you won’t have to remove it you use your magic.”

Ausar stepped towards her and took the pendent in his hand. Using his aura he melded his own and Sammy’s within the pendent. “There” With that he moved towards the remains of the blade. He picked up the shards and took the two jewels in his hand.

“Hope you won’t mind me holding onto these as payment” It wasn’t so much a question as Ausar letting Sammy know he was keeping them.

Sam finally had enough energy to take over but not for long. “I earned those through my blood sweat and fear, they already saved your life you don’t need any more payment then that you prick. They mean a lot to me”

“And that blade meant a lot to me!” Ausar snapped angrier than he had planned.

“Huh okay that's out of the blue... but sure payment for your beloved blade” Sammy smiled and gave him a reassuring hug as from the tone of his voice he needed one.

6. Akira

(OOC: Joint post between Kai and myself. Also Kai's note to Hope - 'Hurry up')

Sammy’s soul swelled with joy, the hug felt like the warmth brought with the sun of spring dawn. It had been so long since she had hugged a friend ‘not since the east wing explosion where I killed my prison Family’

‘It wasn’t Your fault it was Theirs, and He stinks like dead monsters' Sam sighed to himself in frustration, happy Sammy was feeling joy again, despite the stink of the Enhanced.

Ausar stood for a moment letting this young girl hug him. When it seemed she had no intention of stopping he put a single arm around her.

“Alright” he said gently returning the hug for a moment then separating the two of them.

“Let’s see if we can’t determine more about these men” he said as he stepped away from Sammy and moved to one of the bodies. Crouching down he began patting down one of the bodies to see if he could find a hidden pocket or some clue as to they were and what their mission was. When nothing was forthcoming he removed the belt of the body and stripped it of its sheath. Returning it to its blade he then equipped it to himself. He took a further two daggers and held them out for Sammy.

“I’m glad to be rid of such reached tools to be honest...” Sam exerted control again took the blades and sheaths attaching them to their belt. “Ahh stupid protective power” Sammy mumbled to herself ‘I guess I have no choice about this either’ “Thank you”

‘Interesting’ Ausar thought to himself. “So, were you were heading to meet with family or someone who can care for you?”

“No any family or friend I ever had is dead. I’m just trying to find something to live for again” Sammy said with a nervous smile. It felt strange to be talk to someone again she had been alone for so long. ‘Anytime there was a hint of anyone else nearby the protective power took me away’

“Sorry to hear, can’t be easy travelling alone” ‘Although I guess you are never truly alone’ He thought to himself. “Well, if that’s the case, how about you travel with me for a time. I’m on my way to see my witch. She could possibly train you in your magic. Or at the very least properly augment that pendent for you.”

“I’m not truly alone, I have my protective power but it’ll be nice to have someone who can actually speak. Do you trust the witch? I’ve only ever met ones who worked with the lesser and fully fledged enhanced guards” Sam was happy to see Sammy had the sense to be cautious.

“I’d trust her with my life” Ausar replied simply. “She’s a good person. At the very least you can come meet her. And if you decide you don’t like her we can think of something else.”

“Sounds like a…” Sammy interrupted herself with a yawn ...“plan. Sorry” she said with a sheepish tired grin.

Ausar and Sammy travelled towards the village for just over half an hour. They could have easily made the rest of the journey that night but they had come across a clearing that had previously been used for a camp.

“We’ve been travelling a while” Ausar said turning to Sammy. “The village isn’t far off now. An hour or so in daylight, I’d wager. I’d say we set up camp and continue over to them in the morning.”

‘Chances are we wouldn’t gain entry at this time’ Ausar thought to himself as he began setting some previously gathered wood in the stone circle. Once the pile was a decent size Ausar cast the sign for Igni causing the wood to burst into flames. He nodded satisfied with the work and sat on a log surrounding the site.

“Feel free to rest” Ausar said to Sammy as he pulled the borrowed weapon free of its scabbard and began examining it. He tutted in disappointment to see that the weapon was rarely if ever cared for. Pulling a stone from his pack Ausar began working on the blade.

Sam took control “We have been avoiding civilisation as Sammy doesn’t know how to conceal her powers and I….I don’t like…..people. 'I don't know how to interact with them'. You need to teach her to conceal her magic or you’ll be stuck with me in the city. It’s too dangerous otherwise.”

“Right, and no one wants that” Ausar said mostly to Sam being in control for an extended period of time. “The amulet will prevent her power from manifesting unless she wants it to or gets overly stressed. Even then, no one would harm her if she were in my company.”

“Why what makes you so special?”

Ausar groaned inwardly. So far he wasn’t a fan of the ‘Sam’ personality he came across as very abrupt. “What makes me special is that I’m the Grandmaster of the Protectatores Pacem School. And before you ask, that is the human started enhanced school.

“Mmm………..What is a school?” Sam puzzled aloud.

Ausar audibly sighed. ‘It’s going to be a long night’ He thought to himself.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    RebelMurf likes this.
  7. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

(Joint post between myself and Sho. Ok Kai are you happy now? :p)

Hadria was just as happy to be rid of the company. Ausar Dan Inori was at least a decent conversationalist when not waving a sword in your face. But still, his untimely presence was an inconvenience. Once she was sure he was out of the way, Hadria turned back the way she had come. The witch she sought was crafty, only appearing when she wanted to be found. And after this long, Hadria could be almost sure going back would be a waste of time. The witch never left a trace. But still, the Dregalt Wood was her last lead. Hadria was left back at square one with no way of knowing where to look next. Her only option was to go back and hope that there was some trace left of the spell the witch used to transport herself. Hopefully the magical signature would be enough for Hadria to track.

Without having to worry about keeping pace with the man, Hadria made much better time getting back to the clearing. Of course, by the time she reached it, it was swarming with lower level creatures. The pack of hellhounds were drawn to the magic like moths to a flame. She watched them momentarily. Like most monsters, they were ugly creatures. Shaped like large muscular black dogs with short snouts and large mouths filled with black teeth and orange fire-like light. They were mostly hairless with long, whip like tails and deep growls. They often hunted in packs and could be quite formidable to even the most skilled hunters. Especially when they managed to catch prey off guard. Luckily for Hadria, she was always good at keeping herself hidden. It was a few moments before one, a particularly unappealing mutt, that happened to be close to her took notice. Instantly a growl escaped it’s throat before it let out a loud howl that attracted the attention of the others. Within moments, the pack was all approaching, eyes fixed on the red haired loner. Hadria sighed, “Oh brother. What a waste of time.” she stepped into the light while responding to their snarls with a growl of her own. [iet tauthr] “Stop.”

The pack paused their advance, furious eyes glaring at the woman who dared try to command them. One singular hound, larger than the rest, took another step forward as though to challenge her command. It snapped and barked at her, blackened teeth bared in a snarl. Hadria appeared a bit amused by the action and simply shook her head. Clearly the Alpha would not be swayed as easily as the rest of the pack. Strange, usually hellhounds were easy to deter. No matter, She didn’t have the time or patience to encourage the beast. “I warned you, mutt.” she extended a hand to the creature. [Taek] Instantly, the furious monster took her advance as a challenge and snapped at her only to suddenly be overcome by the power of Hadria’s spell. The Alpha’s snarls and barks were exchanged for panicked whimpers and howls and then to nothing as it’s body appeared to dissolve into shadow and flow into the palm of Hadria’s hand. The sight of the spell was enough to sway the pack, who fled back to the treeline from whence they came.

With the monsters out of the way, Hadria turned her focus on her goal. It was faint, but Hadria could still make out the lingering energy of the transportation spell her target had used. Luckily for Hadria, she seemed to have been in too much of a hurry to cover all of her tracks. Hopefully, it would be enough for Hadria to get some information. The cloaked redhead kneeled down in the soil where the witch’s cottage once stood and closed her eyes, reaching out with her own magic. This would take some time.

Nursing their wounded hand, Phoenix made their way towards the only person that could be of service to them now, a Witch by any other means. She proved useful, supplying them with poisons, and enhancements under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, they’d have to call her here sooner than usual, as the Witch was the only one who could heal the magical wound Balthier’s blade had inflicted on their hand.

After traversing a good distance, Phoenix pulled Balthier’s blade from their cloak, and stabbed it into the ground, thankfully, this should prove payment enough to entice her to appear before them. The blade oozed an extremely potent magical aura, as most unique Enhanced weapons do, which served as a means to call to her. It’s magic was tainted by Phoenix, giving off a different, distinct aura that she used to pinpoint their location, or so she’s said.

Hadria tried to concentrate on her goal. But it became increasingly difficult as the energy began to fade. Especially when a rather obnoxious spell was cast nearby that drew her own tracking away. She huffed, getting to her feet. Clearly, she would have to deal with yet another nuisance.

It didn’t take long to find the source of the spell. A cloaked figure stood not far from the clearing where Hadria had previously been. The person stood next to a two handed sword which was impaled in the ground. Whatever spell they were trying to cast, it had a wide range and the sword was at it’s center. Knowing that, Hadria’s patience had reached an end. A powerful blast of energy was released from her outstretched hand, which was intended to simply knock it away.

Moments before the blast, Phoenix was alerted to the presence of another being, of immense power. Even so, they could not allow the spell to be interrupted, and so using their already wounded hand, they attempted to block the blast. It was, surprisingly, more powerful than expected for a simple spell meant to knock over a sword. Taking the full brunt of the attack, Phoenix’s hand was knocked away, and they were sent sliding back, forced to dig their heels into the ground to stop themselves from being knocked over. Now rather frustrated, Phoenix looked towards the offender and growled, “Is there any particular reason that you attempted to interrupt me?”

Hadria paused, the voice sounded somewhat familiar. Even through their tone of annoyed arrogance. However, maybe that added to the familiarity. Even so, their hood was up as Hadria’s was. So she couldn’t tell if they had met before. She shrugged off their question “Pardon me. Your spell is annoying.” In spite of the bluntness of her words, she kept a friendly enough attitude. “I’d appreciate you doing it somewhere else.”

Phoenix raised an eyebrow underneath their hood, that voice had an air of familiarity about it… But they couldn’t exactly put a finger on it… though maybe that’s because they’d almost lost their hand twice today. Regardless, with their hood up, they were unrecognizable, and therefore, it wasn’t a problem for them to concern themselves with. “I’d love to… but my now further damaged hand needs to be fixed as soon as possible so I can return to hunting. I cannot do my job properly with only one hand, no matter how talented I may be. I simply need to call my friend here, have her heal me, and I’ll be on my way.”

Hadria paused. What an odd thing to say. She’d heard of weird summoning spells but what would any witch would answer an outdated call like that? A nagging suspicion crept into the back of Hadria’s mind as to the answer but she kept it to herself. “Your friend is a witch I assume?”

Phoenix sighed, this was going nowhere fast. They needed to hurry up and send this being on her way. “Yes. She is a powerful witch, though I’ve trained under one stronger. She and I have a mutual give and take friendship. Of what concern is it to you?”

“Then you don’t need her. Put your stick away, I’ll heal you myself if that’s all it will take for you to leave.”

“...Is that so. I won’t ask for the details but I’m not one to simply take things for free. Is there something, other than me leaving, that I could provide for you?”

“Yes actually. I need you to be quiet for a minute so I can finish what I was doing.” Hadria spoke with all due politeness as she turned back to the clearing, assuming her newest obstacle would follow if he wanted to be healed. She walked back to the clearing and got back to her knees, closing her eyes and reaching out once more to what little magic energy she could find to hopefully track.

Sighing frustratedly, Phoenix pulled the blade from the ground and returned it to their cloak, following quietly after the strangely polite woman. Still, Phoenix couldn’t help but be curious about what exactly this person was after. Honestly, they didn’t want to care. But they did for some reason.

RebelMurf and Taboo Sho like this.
  8. Oath

Oath King Bitch™

(OOC: My apologies for taking so long to get an opening post up. @Kai I hope this is acceptable. Hope was a dear and helped me with the spells but let me know if you want anything changed.)

The cool shadow that lingered deep in the woods loomed over a solitary hovel. Inside of which, a large spider worked on building a web in the corner of the ceiling. Her graceful, long, arms worked tirelessly and precisely to settle in to her new home at day’s end. Her journey here had been difficult and survival not assured. Here, she would be secure from the elements and able to catch prey and produce offspring in peace. From below she felt the vibrations of a giant. Breathing, moving. But not tall enough to reach her here. No, from her peach up above she was safe to labor and soon rest. Suddenly, her efforts were interrupted by a sudden jolt of motion that knocked her free and sent her free falling down and into a strange thick, coarse, tangled web below.

The entire shack rattled violently as though it’s foundations were threatened by an earthquake. The convulsion knocked down shelves, dirt, wood, and important pouches which hung. The witch Morgana braced herself against a table until the chaos had subsided. Once it had, she let out an irritable huff and pushed back her mussed blonde curls from her face. She didn’t seem to notice the disturbed arachnid which had managed to become entrapped in her locks after it’s plummet. Her hands on her hips, she examined the shambles that became of her surroundings, short of breath after the startle from which she now recovered. Her heavy breaths pressed against her corset in an uncomfortable manner. The musky wood foundations still creaked rather suspiciously though the floor had stilled. Whatever left hung on the walls and from the ceiling still swayed more than slightly as a few startled animals and low monsters had been knocked free from their cages and cowered in corners and darted about. All of their shreaks and cries were maddening. A few, no doubt, would be difficult to recapture. The inconvenience of the sudden blast was more than a simple annoyance. However, the magic woman could admit some humor in the situation at least. She would have to investigate source of the unforeseen interruption to ensure it would not happen again. But for now, she would have to tidy up.

She got to her knees and got to work trying to salvage as much as she could of the contents of a glass jar near her which had shattered on the floor. But as though a unheard voice called to her from the distance, she stopped suddenly. Her head cocked to the side. The familiar tug which pulled at the back of her mind was easy to recognize. Only few knew to call for her using such an outdated summon spell. And the magic signature was one she had frequently been in contact with of late. The elf. However, no sooner had the tug entered her senses, it was abruptly stopped. Morgana frowned, as suddenly a loud crack interrupted her concentration and more dust was knocked from the damaged ceiling, showering Morgana and the rest of her home with even more loose dust.
    “Heavens sake!” the exasperated witch got to her feet, grabbing a bit of limestone chalk from the table. It seemed she would never find peace until she had at least seen to the damned roof repairs! The elf would have to call again. She drew a series of shapes along the walls and floor before gesturing a hand to each of them. A soft glow overcame each of the shapes momentarily which spread across the surfaces of their corresponding parts of the shack. More creaks and snaps could be heard as the wood came back together on it’s own. The action pulled at Morgana’s strength. When it was done, her shoulders slumped and her head hung. She felt drained. And that simply wouldn’t do.

On que, a distinct tickle on her neck send a hand to investigate. What she pulled to her face didn’t seem to surprise her. She studied the large black creature wander across her hands for a moment. “Poor thing. Seems your home was disrupted as well.” she spoke softly as if to avoid startling her. It was a pretty spider for certain. Graceful, and large with a blue sheen and golden eyes. A chevron pattern adorned across her thorax. Morgana recognized the breed. They were born of magic and native to the black woods. Excellent. As the creature circled back once more to the palm of Morgana’s right hand, her left closed over the alarmed insect.

“Forgive me, darling.” Morgana’s eyes closed and she felt the struggle against her grip begin to weaken rapidly. “Lend me the magic which brought you life.” Shortly after the words had been spoken, Morgana opened her palms to reveal the spider had vanished. In it’s place was a black cloud of energy which flowed into Morgana’s chest and was no more. Few of the more intelligent monsters and animals fell silent at the change in the atmosphere brought by Morgana’s spell. The arachnid provided a small start to revitalizing the witch. But it wouldn’t be enough to regain her energy. She would have to drain more. And then, she could focus on salvaging her day.

Taboo Sho, Akira and RebelMurf like this.
  9. RebelMurf

(Joint post by Akira and I. Apologies for the delay and the narrative in the post.)

It had taken quite some time for Ausar to answer the various questions Sam had. When he had answered one another presented itself. He was happy to give the lad an education, but wasn’t looking forward to the idea of having to answer the same questions for Sammy. When he had voiced his concern Sam told him that he wouldn’t have to.

“I can feed the information back to Sammy’s subconscious and she will gain the knowledge.”

‘Interesting’ Ausar thought. “How does it work?”

“I don’t really know. Just things she needs to know seem to get through to her… I guess it’s one of my gifts as her protector.”

The conversation went on with Ausar telling Sam more about the world and the work he does in it. Sam had quite a few questions which Ausar was happy enough to answer when after awhile a silence fell between the two.

“How did you do that?” Sam asked indicating the head at Ausar’s feet.

“You did that” Ausar stated as a matter of fact.

“What?.. No not that” Sam said bringing his thumb across his neck indicating a cutting motion. “I mean the..” he didn’t finish the sentence instead moving his one had in a number of ways mimicking the sign Ausar had used.

“I know what you meant” Ausar said with the hint of a smile. Ausar let a silence fall as he watched the young man. ‘Impressive that he could mimic the sign after only seeing it once’ he thought to himself.

“Surely you know what it is. You cast one on me when we first met”

“I know, but how do you do that one?”

“Where did you learn that first one?” Ausar asked

“It was used on us in the prison.”

“Where was this prison?”

“You still haven’t answered my question, how do you do that?” Sam said indicating the head again.

“I’ve answered many of your questions. I reckon it’s only fair that you answer a few in return.”

“Will you show me how it is done if I answer your questions?”

Ausar hesitated a moment. “I wouldn’t.”

“Why?” Sam asked confused. Ausar had been forthcoming so far. “Why is that different? You’ve answered my other questions.”

“I only teach my apprentices” Ausar replied after a few moments.

Sam stood and walked out of their campsite into the road looking up to the sky. Seemingly satisfied he came back towards Ausar and seemed to take interest in the moss growing on the bark of a tree. After a while he resumed his position. “It’s that way” he said pointing into an apparently indifferent direction.

“What does it take to become an apprentice?”

Ausar examined the young man for a moment.

“You would need me to want you as an apprentice”

“Oh… Ok. I need to sleep for Sammy’s sake” Sam said as he moved about tying off his cloak to the lower branches of a tree. “Will you still be here when we wake?” He thought climbing into his makeshift hammock.

Ausar said nothing as the young man made and climbed into his hammock. He knew he wouldn’t sleep that night. Even if he had wanted to, it had been a strange couple of days. What he thought would be a simple witch hunt ended with him fighting the wrong target. He was then blasted by a magic so strong that it had cracked his sword. Following that he met a young man who was efficiently killing a group of men. Then there were those men, who had been augmented. But not in the same way he had been. Then he was hit with another magic blast that shattered his sword.

The young man had asked a great many questions, Ausar unfortunately hadn’t managed to get any real information regarding who he or Sammy really were or where they came from except that it was somewhere north east of where they currently were. ‘Hopefully she will have some answers for me’ he thought as he looked up at the sleeping body.

The night had passed without incident. Near sunrise Sammy had become restless moving around a lot in her sleep when she suddenly woke with a start. Ausar gave her a moment to collect herself before asking if she was ok. Sammy jumped a little at his voice but quickly remembered the previous day’s events. Climbing down from her hammock she moved to sit beside Ausar by the remains of the camp fire. The two sat in silence as Ausar took some supplies from his pack to prepare a modest breakfast for the two. As he was preparing the meal he noticed that Sammy was slowing moving closer to him. Not bringing attention to it she ended up brushing his arm with hers, and seeming to have sated her curiosity sat with a smile on her face as he handed her, her plate. The two cleaned up their camp and moved towards the village. They didn’t stay in the village long instead passing through and continuing through the woods. Sammy, as Ausar had thought she would asked him a litany of questions, very different from the kind Sam had asked previously. Sammy seemed to take a more personal interest in Ausar then Sam had, and while Ausar was vague in some of his answers he didn’t mind the questions.

They arrived to a small clearing that anyone with a hint of magical ability could tell was different than the rest of the forest.

“We are going to meet my witch” Ausar said to Sammy as he reached toward a stacked pile of rocks. He noted the change in demeanour and eye colour as Sam momentarily took control adjusting his daggers so they could be reached easily if needed before relinquishing control back to Sammy.

Ausar channelled his aura through the stones. Both Sammy and Ausar stood waiting for the witch to respond to Ausar’s call.

Nova likes this.
  10. Nova

The magic was hard to trace. After such a long time had passed Hadria had only faint energy to go off of. But it paid off as she finally found something she could recognize. The energy was barely there, but it was absolutely familiar. She muttered "Lenna letta" as a hand raised in front of herself, the magic energy that still lingered in the air took on a soft red glow that became visible "Gath sem lenna un lam iet."
    As the spell was spoken, the red mist gathered together before Hadria's palm. She opened her eyes and cupped her hand beneath the glowing orb. As she stood back up and spoke once more "tauthr"
    No sooner had the word been spoken the orb was broken in two halves. One half shot like an arrow into Hadria's chest. The other darted away north of Hadria and out of the clearing. She watched it go for a few moments. The spell was faint and it wouldn't be as helpful as she hoped for. But it would have to do.
    Finally satisfied with her work, she turned her attention back to the hooded stranger. "Alright. Come here. I'll see what I can do." she remained where she stood but extended a hand to them.

RebelMurf likes this.
  11. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Phoenix watched the woman perform her magics with mild disinterest, this was perhaps, the most boring display of magic they’d ever seen, though… it was mildly familiar to them, though they did not question it just yet. Upon completion of the spell, the woman turned to them and extended her hand, offering her help, as promised. Phoenix took this chance to pose the question that had come to mind earlier. “Your magic is familiar to me. Unique in the way you cast, and utilize it. You remind me of someone I know, and that is unsettling to me. However, I will not turn down your offer for help.” Reaching out , they placed their hand into the witch’s with only a moment’s worth of hesitation.

12. Oath

Oath King Bitch™

(Pardon the simplicity.)

The nice thing about having to drain so many of her pets made gathering the rest of them not take as long. Finally, Morgana’s home was put back together decently enough and she felt re energized. She considered getting in touch with the elf, but just as the thought entered her mind she felt yet another tug on her aura. At first, she thought it was the elf calling again. But upon further investigation, Morgana frowned. Given recent events, she wondered if she would hear from him at some point. He hadn’t called to her in a great while, though. This should be interesting.

Morgana reached into a vial of some green substance and collected some in her fingers before walking to the door of her home. “Thverr…” she muttered under her breath while pulling the image of the rock formation to her mind and painting an x on the door with the potion. There was no apparent change at first. But when Morgana opened her door, what was outside was not the same as it should be. It was a clearing next to a particular rock formation. From an outsider's perspective, it would look like she had opened a hole in reality and stepped through. But what she had really done was create a simple fold in the space between herself and that location. It was a simple, but energy costly, spell. But the focal points like this one that she had set up made it manageable.

Across the clearing stood Ausar and another person she didn’t recognize. Something about the stranger, though, had a familiar feeling about them. She gave her a curious glance, as though trying to recognize her before turning her attention back to greet Ausar. “It’s been some time, Ausar Dan Inori.”

Akira and RebelMurf like this.
  13. Nova

(Myself and Taboo Sho)

Hadria stood up, dusting off her cloak while she listened to the stranger talk. They were awfully chatty. Walking forward she took their hand and began her healing spell. But the familiarity occurred to her halfway through the spell. A sense of awkwardness washed over her as she realized that she knew the person before her. She wasn’t sure how she didn’t recognize their presence sooner. After finishing her spell, she took a quick step back away from them before managing to pull herself together. She wasn’t sure if this encounter was on purpose, or if they were truly unaware of her identity. Either way, she decided it wise to get out of there quickly. “Your hand is healed.” she spoke respectfully, checking the placement of her hood. “Donec iterum conveniant.” she nodded before turning to walk away, still making sure to stay alert in case her suspicion about the situation was true.

Phoenix eyed the stranger curiously as she healed their hand. However, about halfway through the process, she started to give off a different aura. Something had changed her behaviour… But what, and why so suddenly? Then it dawned on them as the spell completed. They knew they had recognized the magic, for they had only seen it once before. This was… shocking to say the least. As far as they had known, she was gone, dead, probably buried if people showed any respect to witches. But for her to be alive… This changed everything. Choosing to not dignify her with a response, they made to leave in the opposite direction. They had to get far away from here, quickly.

Hours later, Hadria’s path led her to a small town far from the woods. She had been here before a few times. It was common for her to meet a few of her acquaintances here. And this time was no different. She made her way toward the local tavern.

Phoenix hurried through the trees, dashing from branch to branch at top speed. They had made it far enough away by now to let themself breathe easy, but they still had much work to do now that they knew she was alive. This was an opportunity they would not pass up on… For now though, they had business to attend to in the elvish domain, and they had a long journey ahead of them. Looking to their side briefly, they smiled as Balthier’s sword glowed brightly, sheathed on their waist.

RebelMurf likes this.
  14. Legendseeker

Legendseeker OPON Content Writer

'My liege?" a voice pushed through Yeroc Nightengale's concentration as he was training in one of the courtyards. Dressed in nothing but a pair of pants, Yeroc stood himself to his full height and turned to who had called for him. He could feel most of his soldiers gaze at him. He knew what they said, how he trained every single day and always pushed himself and whoever he talked into helping him train. It was a grueling exercise, one not many of his men were unable to keep up with. Yeroc grabbed a hold of the towel he had set to the side and began cleaning himself off as the soldier who called for him stood attention. When he was done, he motioned for the man to follow behind him as he began making rounds around the courtyard.

"Sir, we have just received word from mistress Kahlan." The soldier began. He pulled out a small note and handed it to Yeroc. The king unfolded it and started reading. It wrote:

Yeroc,

I've begun tracking the beast. It seems to be heading north, towards Galdor mountain. I think it may have a nest there, so I'm going to check it out. When you get this, make sure to send a garrison. I'll need the extra hands to drag this thing back to the capital. And please, make sure you put a shirt on before you start delegating. It looks more professional.

Kahlan

Yeroc began bellowing in laughter, causing the entire courtyard to stop and stare at the man. He finally stopped after a time, but kept his smile as he turned back to the messenger. "Thank you for this letter. Now, I need you to go find Commander Jaque and tell him to ready up a squad to head to Galdor mountain. Kahlan will need the assistance." The messenger bowed at once and took off, leaving Yeroc to make his way back to the castle. He smiled as he thought back to Kahlan and her letter. It seemed strange, knowing that it had only been twenty odd years since he had walked into the town square and seen a young elven woman surrounded by men, men she had killed herself with a magic spellbook and a wild look in her eyes. He had stood back for a minute, listening as the men screamed from the pain she had been causing and her preaching poisonous hate over the Enhanced. Yeroc, moved by the young witches words, intervened before his soldiers could move in for the kill. He strolled out into the middle of the crowd and bowed down before the young woman, bewildering everyone watching. Yeroc offered the witch a home, somewhere to train her talents and use them for the good of a kingdom. He adopted the woman, giving her the surname of Nightengale, and began hiring magic tutors to teach her how to control her magic energy. She began to catch on and soon enough, was sent on missions around the kingdom to aid in its benefit. This was her first mission alone, and while Yeroc had confidence in his adopted daughter, he couldn't help but feel uneasy. Rumors of Enhanced began to spread, and Yeroc worried Kahlan would run into one and not survive the encounter. But he had to trust her, and could only pray for her success

Meanwhile, deep inside the forest surrounding Galdor mountain, which took about a day's travel from the capital to reach, a lone figure riding horseback tore through the forest. The figure looked back, trying to judge how much distance there was between her and the thing following right behind. Trees crashing told her it was starting to gain, so she willed the horse on further. Branches slapped her face, one leaving a thin cut on her cheek. She ignored it and pushed harder. Suddenly, a tree flew from behind and landed in front of them. The horse, in a panic, did not attempt to jump it and tripped, sending both woman and horse sprawling to the ground. Caked in mud, Kahlan rose to her feet as quickly as she could and drew one of her swords. The trees erupted apart and a mountain troll burst into the clearing, crying out in anger. It grabbed a hold of the horse by its neck and lifted it. The horse began crying out in fear, its eyes bulging and looking in every direction. The troll spotted Kahlan and swung the horse at her. She dodged out of the way and felt sorrow as the horse slammed into the ground, dying immediately from the impact.

Shit, there goes my ticket home. Kahlan remorsed briefly as the troll turned to face her. It cried out again and threw the limp horse body at her. She dodged out of the way again and retreated into the treeline. This was not a fight she could win head on, so she needed to find a better way. Yeroc could take this thing with no problem. Kahlan remarked, dodging in between trees as the troll kept coming after her. She couldn't seem to lose its scent. A sudden memory forced itself through, of one of her first training sessions. She had been in awe at Yeroc's power and combat prowess. She told him that she wanted to fight like he could. Yeroc smiled at her and lowered himself to her eye level. My dear, this training is not so you can be like me. He had explained, taking her hand in his own. She had been amazed by how small hers was compared to his. Do not fight like me. Fight like you. Find your own style, be your own individual. I hope that one day, you can be even more powerful than I am.

Kahlan smiled at the memory, and at the idea that sprang in her head. She quickly sheathed her sword and instead drew her spellbook. It had once belonged to her mother, before she was burned at the stake. Her mother had spent many years building up the magical energy inside of it, giving it near limitless potential. It wasn't something she could use at just any time though, so it would have to be for one quick attack. In one instant, Kahlan knew what to do. She took off for the troll, her spellbook in hand. The troll bellowed in answer and charged at her as well. Right before they made contact, Kahlan dove between the beasts legs. The troll tried turning quickly, but its size and the dense trees made it difficult. The spellbook opened up and began to glow as Kahlan drew from the well of energy inside it.

"Vine trap!" she cried out. Tree roots ripped up through the ground surrounding the troll and wrapped themselves around it. The troll attempted to rip them off, but only managed a couple before being drug to the ground. It bellowed out in pain as it struggled fruitlessly. Kahlan strolled over to it and looked the beast in the eyes, drawing her sword. "This is for my horse, you rotten breathed sonofabitch." With a mighty thrust, she drove her sword between its eyes. The troll took one last breath as the light in its eyes faded. Kahlan took a deep breath and fell back on her ass, breathing heavily. Now to wait for the cavalry...

15. RebelMurf

(OOC - My apologies for letting this go so long without working on it. I want to know if everyone is still happy to go ahead with this RP and come to me with where they want to see it go. I had a general idea in my head but I want to involve everyone and see if we can't get this going. Appreciate all the patience.)

*Post by myself, Oath and Akira.

“Morgana” Ausar greeted the witch. “This is Sammy. Can we come in?” He said making his way to the door. He put a hand on Morgana’s shoulder before stepping into the house. The cages of animals started when he entered and Ausar was assaulted by the cries and calls of the creatures.

‘It’s foolish to walk straight into her domain’ Sam thought to himself as Sammy followed Ausar towards the place in the rock the witch had sprouted from.

“Oh wow” Sammy said sticking here arm in and out of what appeared to be solid rock before bunny hopping through with a giggle. She found the sudden change in scenery disoriating. Sam was working hard on not following his instincts to take control; Sammy was the one who Ausar wanted to meet with the witch. Sam took some comfort in the element of surprise he would have if needs be.

‘I have a bad feeling about this’ he thought as he cautiously descried the new environment they found themselves in glad that Sammy's curiosity had them looking in pretty much every direction.

“Make sure not to touch anything” Ausar cautioned his companion. Sending out his aura he searched the house feeling out the different energies of the place. After a few minutes, seemingly satisfied he turned to face Morgana. “As you said, been quite some time. What have you been up to?”

Bold… but risky. He’s lucky he can trust me. A faint smile tugged at Morgana as she felt Ausar’s aura expand. He was strong, but Morgana knew the move would leave him open to attacks. She had no reason to. But she always found it amusing when he tried to search her home. It meant he didn’t trust her, but he also did or he wouldn’t leave himself open around her in order to search in the first place. Or maybe she was giving him too much credit and he really didn’t know she could sense him spying, or that she could take advantage. Whatever it was, Morgana was charmed by the nostalgia. To silence the yipping of her pets, Morgana waved a hand toward the cages. In a puff of dark heavy smoke they disappeared. “Pardon my pets. They get nervous around strangers.” she smiled, moving around the table to get back to whatever concoction of unusual ingredients she was working on. She set to work crushing dark roots with a knife “Now, let’s not pretend you’re interested in what I’ve been doing. We’re both more interested in what you think I can do for you.”

Ausar watched the witch a moment. He liked her. The way she carried herself with the quiet confidence, how she dismissed his questions so casually, reminded him of a time Enhanced and Witches truly worked together. He let himself relax. No need to sour their relationship with unsupported suspicions. He let a smile play at the corner of his mouth as he reached inside his coat and pulled out a tied package. He placed it on a clear space on the table and untied it. The hilt and pieces of his broken blade. “There was a bit of an incident, I was hoping you could repair it.”

Morgana studied the fragmented blade, tracing it with her finger. “This was an enhanced weapon, no?” She looked to Ausar. “Must have been one hell of an incident.”

“It is, and two incidents truth be told. I was tracking a witch and she cracked the blade. This one” He nodded to Sammy “Did the rest with a blast of magic.”

“I'm so sorry. I don't know how my pendant came off.” Sammy turned a deep shade of scarlet; her train of thought snapped away by the overwhelming sense of sorrowful shame.

Morgana initially looked surprised by something about Sammy’s response. She observed the two of them for a few moments and chuckled softly. “Accidents happen, child. No sense in being sorry now.” she spoke while she swiftly arranged the sword pieces in their proper order. “I need to test the blade to see if it can be repaired. That will take time.” she spoke more to Ausar than to Sammy before taking the same limestone as before and drawing a pattern around the blade on the surface of the table. There were a few silent moments while the golden haired witch worked. She muttered a series of incantations and commands which brought out different reactions from the sword or hilt. Once she was done with that, she frowned as though unsatisfied with her work and used her sleeve to wipe clean a portion of her pattern and replacing it with other symbols.

Sammy watched in sheer fascination as the witch worked. “You have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen” Sammy said without thinking; struggling to take her eyes from Morgana’s golden curls. When she finally managed to take in more of the women's features her curiosity peaked. ‘I wonder if she would be self conscious if I asked her about her cheek, I wouldn't want to upset her.’

Interrupted temporarily from her work, Morgana paused and looked at Sammy with a puzzled expression. After a moment the curiosity was replaced with a soft smile. The girl was unusual… but somewhat endearing. “Thank you, dear.” she leaned on the table, getting a better look at Sammy. “It is a nice distraction from the eye, is it not?” she chuckled and winked before getting back to her work.

“I hadn't noticed the eye” Sammy blushed and went quite ‘I was so focused on her hair and then her cheek’

Morgana spoke casually as she began crushing dark roots with a knife and putting them into a cauldron. “Sammy is it? How old are you?”

“I… I really don't know.” Sammy blushed with embarrassment. “I was taken when I was 14. But I don't know how long I was in the witch hunters prison before my protective power got me out. It was always dark there...I lost track of time. We have been out for a little over a year”

“We?” Morgana considered the choice of wording as if something dawned on her. ‘Well that explains a lot…’ She recalled the odd sense she had gotten of the girl earlier. It was still not entirely clear, but more at least than before. She shot Ausar a reassuring look before placing the broken bits of his blade into the cauldron as well, keeping the handle alone on the table. “Witch hunters.” She repeated with a hint of empathy “That explains it… if you’re willing I can try to fix the augmentation on your amulet. It might help you avoid future accidents.”

“I would be grateful if you would, thank you” Sammy smiled. ‘You are telling them more than they need to know. I wonder if the pendent will affect me differently when she “augments” it, she doesn't seem like any of the witches in the prison, but there's something, something doesn't feel right with her’ Sam pondered trying to pin down what it was. “Will it stop me being a danger to everyone?” Sammy asked her smile disappearing as a depressive mood took hold as she remembered what happened to her friends she had so desperately wanted to help in the prison.

Morgana let out a sigh “It will help. But you shouldn't rely on it forever. We magic users are always a danger to others and to ourselves. The best thing you can do is find a teacher and learn control.” the feeling of nostalgia returned to Morgana as she spoke those words. It had been quite some time since she had done so. She brushed the feeling off, though, and checked the progress of the melting sword fragments in the cauldron. Satisfied with the progress so far she raised an index finger to Sammy “One moment. I need to concentrate…”

She muttered “Eldrvarí” and the flame beneath the cauldron darkened to a crimson red and rose high enough to encase it up to the rim. Something about the result of the spell didn't go as expected. Again, Morgana looked suspicious. With a wave of her hand from open palm to closed fist, the flame was extinguished. For the moment, her thoughts were brought back to the task of repairing the blade. The smoke that came from the molten blade gave off the same red color. “Curious…” Morgana spoke as the cauldron seemingly tipped aside on its own pouring molten metal hovering slightly over the table in the proper shape. It hissed and squirmed as it continued to take form and cool. But the red was not fading. “...Very curious.” Morgana frowned. “Can you tell me anything about the witch that cracked your blade?” She spoke to Ausar once again not looking up as she got back to drawing a series of symbols on the table surrounding the reforming sword.

“Didn’t get much of a chance to meet her if I’m honest. Hadn’t opened the door before she sent myself and her shattered door flying. When I got up, the house along with whoever was its owner was gone.”

A half smile crept on to Morgana’s face. She couldn't help it. The imagery of Ausar being so caught off guard was funny to her. “She caught you unaware? That's unlike you. She must be quite a talented witch. It's unfortunate you can't tell me more about her.”

A few hours had when Ausar and Sammy stepped out of the portal. “I appreciate the help” Ausar thanked Morgana. “I’ll come by next time I’m in the area to check on the blade” he called back with a slight wave.

“We’re going to stop and pick up a few things” Ausar told Sammy as they left the now empty clearing heading towards the village.

‘She gave me the creeps’ Sam thought as Sammy waved goodbye to the rockface and the clearing where the portal had been.

“Sounds like a plan” Sammy smiled still just enjoying having someone to converse with. “I don't have much to trade, I haven't been around people for a long time.” Sammy was a bit nervous with the thought of being around so many people at once. A sentiment echoed and amplified in Sam.

“It will be fine” Ausar reassured her. “You have nothing to worry about, as a student the school protects and provides for you.”

Sam found it hard to take control. “How will the school react to us? Is it for Sammy to learn or myself or both? I’m scared I won’t be able to protect Sammy as well if people find out more about me, us, everything...”

Ausar took a moment to think before answering. “Well, there are two ways this can go. You can remain hidden while Sammy does her training and then follow wherever she decides to go. Or you can ask her teacher to train you at the same time. The choice is yours to make.”

“Will you give a taste of what might be offered if I did the ‘training’ thing? Sam asked ‘could it help me protect her in a better way?’ “I learn fast.”

“I don’t take apprentices” Ausar stated as matter of fact.

“I don't think I take apprentices either, but could you show me?” Sam asked again not sure why Ausar was avoiding the question.

“It means I don’t train people” Ausar responded with an inward sigh.

‘Just showing me would be training then okay’

“Why?... I just wanted to know if it could help me protect her in in a better way. Do you think it could?”

“It could. You are impressive but you have a lot to learn. And as to why, well. That is an entirely different story. Now let Sammy have control. We are nearing the village.”

Sam relinquished control to Sammy lost in thought.

“Wow It felt it was a much longer journey out there then the trip back” Sammy smiled.

Ausar gave a half smile in response. “Stick close to me. We won’t stay long.”

Nova likes this.
  16. Akira

(Chainless and I)

Stay calm…. he has been trustworthy so far. Sammy doesn't look out for potential danger. He does though. I want her to be happy again. Just stay calm’ Sam kept reiterating to himself.

It was mid-noon and the small village was busy as people went about their daily tasks. The merchants were calling for people to come see their wares, bakers were advertising their goods. Ausar stopped in front of the bakers stall and took to coins from his pouch. Returning he handed a baked good to Sammy and bit into one of his own.

“It smells delicious” ‘I can't remember the last time I ate warm bread’ Sammy contemplated. ‘Not since I came into existence’ thought Sam trying to ignore his anxiety and enjoy the new experiences.

“It tastes even better” Ausar smiled. “Come” he instructed making his way to the large building in the middle of the village.

“This is the local inn. They are good places to get supplies for travelling.” Ausar told. “We’ll grab a few things and then be on our way”

Sammy couldn't help but feel nervous but excited as well. ‘I’m not a danger to any one...The crushing darkness is gone. I'm sure the world seems more in focus than ever before’; for the first time Sam felt true gratitude, from the depths of his being, towards Ausar. Sammy has never been this happy before. The spring in Sammy’s step as she approached the inn reflected the pure joy that shone from her countenance.

The innkeeper smiled and called out a welcome to Ausar and Sammy as they entered the inn. “Staying the night?” she asked as Ausar approached the bar.

“No, thank you” Ausar dismissed. “You can however provide me with three days worth of rations for two.” He asked placing a coin pouch in front of her.

“It will be ready shortly” she smiled collecting the pouch.

“I’ll take a mug while I wait” Ausar said sitting down. “Would you like anything Sammy?” he asked.

“Yes please, any recommendations?” She asked both Ausar and their host.

“I would recommend the fresh juice” the keeper smiled. Ausar nodded in agreement.

“Then I shall try the fresh juice please” Sammy said with a smile.

“Here you go Hun” the woman said putting a tall glass in front of the young girl. “Enjoy” she said keeping her smile.

“Oh wow this is delicious, thank you” Sammy beamed. “Ausar could I ask a two part favour, can I purchase oil and a scrub brush and secondly is there a place to bathe close to the school? It has been a long time since I've had need to make a good impression” ‘I've always kept us clean’ Sam thought perplexed by Sammy’s question.

“I could ask them to pull you a bath for you here if you wish. It means we would spend longer here. But it wouldn’t make that much of a difference.”

I would rather be on our way but now I'm curious about what a bath is and why one needs to pull it’ Sam struggled with his personal conflict of desires. “I don't want to hold us up. I just want to make a good first impression.”

“It’s no bother” Ausar said with a reassuring smile. “There is no particular rush. It’s just been awhile since I’ve had another person to consider”

“No really, I awake every morning in a sweat and I currently don't have a clean change of clothes; the oil and brush and a place to wash closer to the school will allow me to get cleaned up before I arrive. But thank you for the offer”

“No problem. We will just be leaving when the packs are ready then” Ausar told the Innkeeper.

“Would you by chance know where I could find an outfit for myself? Anything is fine as long as it's clean” Sammy asked the Innkeeper before she left.

“I may have just the thing for you, miss if you would like to follow me” Sammy followed her into the back where she opened a closet and pulled out a trousers and shirt. “They belonged to my son it's not much but he has outgrown them. And this, well it hasn't fit me for years …” she said pulling out a silk shift “It’ll knock the boots off your partner.”

Sammy turned bright red, not knowing what to do. “Don't Worry little miss” The innkeeper said wrapping it up with in a sturdy cloak giving Sammy a cheeky wink and a wicked smile. “You brightened up my day, it’s on the house” Sammy followed her as she collected the rest of the supplies and helped her bring them through to Ausar.

“Everything ready?” Ausar greeted the two women.

“Everything is taken care of” the Innkeeper gave another knowing smile, making Sammy blush once again. ‘What in the world would we want a shift for anyway and why is it embarrassing’ Sam thought confused as sh#. Sammy grabbed her pack and followed Ausar to the door. “Bye and thank you” She said in parting to the Innkeeper.

RebelMurf likes this.
  17. Nova

Myrefall was the village Hadria found herself in. A lively place with a rough, diverse culture. Although it did have born residents, It was known as a common resting place for weary travelers of all kinds. It was mostly divided among the poor and the rich but it’s roads were dirt and all of it’s buildings suffered the weight of ancient wars. It wasn’t Hadria’s favorite corner of the world, though the amount of time she spent there would speak otherwise. Even among the residents, there was an atmosphere of suspicion and mistrust. For the most part everyone kept to themselves and minded their business, which Hadria respected. But at times, it felt like the social structure of this village was spring loaded with silent contention that could snap at any moment.
    The church bell cut through the hushed murmurs in the streets. It’s 7 chime toll signified what Hadria already knew by the setting sun. The day was coming to an end. She kept her hood up over her face and her eyes forward, admiring how the gold and orange glow of the sky could make even the silhouette of the crumbling bell tower appear aesthetically pleasing as she made her way nearer to it. Located at the center of town, only across the street from the tavern, Hadria knew these people had long outgrown religion. The only thing still working properly in that figurehead of a building was the bell itself.
    Hadria grew to realize she was feeling more tense than she should be and recognized the sensation of being watched. A quick dart of the eye made it’s way to the culprit. A rather intense woman stood in the center of the street, sweeping. Her unblinking eyes never left Hadria as she made her way down the road in the opposite direction, steadily sweeping dust away from her own path as she went. Her pupils were clouded over, which led Hadria to the conclusion she was possibly blind. But the way she seemed to glare told a different story. Hadria did her best to ignore the stranger for the moment. But a suspicious tingle entered the back of her mind. When she tried to reach out her aura to the stranger, she felt nothing in response. A grim half smile tugged at the corner of her lip as she passed the misleadingly harmless looking old woman, who carried on sweeping, as though nothing had happened, as she rounded a corner and down another street seemingly aimlessly.
    Just in case, Hadria made a point of taking the path through the market. Although it was much more noisy, which would make keeping track of her surroundings more difficult, it was preferable to the idea of being easier to catch alone. She dared not consider that she had already been found, again. Not this time. She would have to make her visit to Myrefall quick, just in case. She would carry on her business and take her leave with no eyes on her.
    Sidestepping to avoid a drunken musician stumbling along while strumming an off key tune, Hadria stepped into the tavern. As usual, it was loud and smelled of smoke. The air was thick with it from the pipes as well as from the multiple fireplaces between tall windows lined with long forgotten potted plants, which either died or climbed the walls in thick vines. Through the crowd, it was almost impossible to find her acquaintance. Luckily, as usual, he made himself stand out. The man sat at a table to the center of the room, just next to the bar, shuffling a deck of playing cards while loudly challenging all who would hear him to join the game.

The man had a glint of mischief in his eye and a charismatic charm in his grin as his gaze landed on the hooded figure. As their eyes met, she seemingly took it as a signal and allowed her hood to fall over her shoulders. He suddenly stood and drew back a single card before pulling back and launching it at her like a knife with speed and accuracy that was unusual for what was possible for a simple playing card.

Hadria caught the card without trouble in between her middle and index finger just before it would have reached her face. Turning it and recognizing the card as an Ace of Diamonds. As she lowered the card, he was already shouting “You there! Lovely woman! What about you? Do you believe that fate smiles on you?” the man called as she approached him and placed his card face down back on the table in front of him.

“I’m afraid fate smiles on none of us here, sir.” she slid the card toward him.

“Don’t be so sure, good woman. Luck favors the optimist.” a playful flick of his hand returned the card to his deck and drew another. He placed it in her hand, being sure to keep it faced down. “You remember the rules?” he spoke as he eyed the redhead turn the card to look at it’s face. Fierce recognition crossed her eyes before she placed it in her pocket. “All too clearly.” she took the card and walked away into the crowd.

The gambler waved as she left before getting back to his deck of cards, and calling on more strangers to join him in a game.

RebelMurf likes this.