• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Square Elite Tournament 2017

Discussion in 'Arena OOC' started by Nova, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

This is a heads up that I will be away starting tomorrow, and not actively returning until February 5th.

Taboo Sho likes this.
  2. Become

I wish to stand by my recent offensive as a point of dispute against the evasion that followed. Specifically, starting from the point at which Andrea removed her right hand from the spear.

From my own perspective:
    • I did place Andrea's left hand/arm into position in which to give resistance against Hector drawing back his shield; I feel that this part of my post wasn't accounted for.
    • Andrea would have already been on Hector's left side when he made his spin to his left, and throwing the punch with her right hand.
    • If nothing else, I contend that her punch would have connected within the same span of time that he made his rotation to the left. Hence, Hector would have been taking the punch to the front of his face rather than the side of his head.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Well after reviewing my post I'll do my best to explain my thoughts when I was making my post and I shall modify it after we have these things clarified.

In your post you said she placed the hand/arm against the face of the shield. I would not think this would provide any resistance against Hector moving his shield back. If the wording in my post is unclear, Hector moving his shield back would be simply him retracting his arm back and as such the force of the movement he is making would be perpendicular to the force Andrea is applying. Had Andrea grabbed the edge of his shield and pushed it towards the spear then I would see that as resistance against Hector's movement. I mean, maybe it could result in pushing the shield closer to his chest, but I don't think that would stop him from pulling his arm back.

With this bit, I feel this is part of why I mentioned in my post about the possibility of Andrea essentially being blind in the moment of her warp. If Hector were to have made his roll as Andrea warped then I figure he would, at the very least, be in the middle of his roll when she appeared again. Assuming Andrea needs a moment to regain her bearing with her environment she would have either paused, giving Hector time to complete his roll, or punched immediately and punched at air. Also I feel that his roll would have put him out of arm's reach, but I'm not sure what somebody else would think.

4. Become

The issue I see is that Hector's spinning movement would have happened either just after or simultaneously with Andrea's phasing as she circled to his left. Her new position and adjustment of her left hand would place it against the edge of the shield.

I actually think you may be interpreting my post as already adjusting to your post that follows it, in that Andrea is moving around to the left and then engaging her phase as to evade the spear as it comes around. This wouldn't have been (And couldn't have been) the case. She would have been striking from what would have been Hector's left before he spun around.

5. Desert Warrior

What spinning move? Do you mean when Hector is swinging his spear or after he begins his roll? My intent was for him to dive into a roll mid swing and change the direction he's facing as he's rising up out of his roll. Looking at your reply and looking at your post and mine I'm starting to think this is more of an issue with the timing of my actions with respect to her warping. Which, if that's the case, then I'll change my post to something that is within the proper timing.

I mean kind of. The wording of my post has it with there being a bit of a delay between Andrea releasing her grasp on the spear and her warping to Hector's left side. Which, if that is the issue like I'm starting to feel it is, then I'll fix it.

6. Become

The way your post had fleshed out left the impression that his pear swing was meant to sweep Andrea as she circled him.

Overall, though, I remain unsold on the evasion.

7. Desert Warrior

It was intended to hit her side where she stood. If you had her step off to his left before warping I missed that bit because to me she simply warped from in front of him to his left without any major footsteps.

So timing it is then. I'll go adjust my post. Setting that aside, I am still curious about whether or not Andrea needs that moment to get a grip on her surroundings after warping or not.

8. Become

The timing of it should have been more to the effect that her phase had been lead into by her rotation (in which she pulled the spear and pushed the shield.

It would have been done just as she released the spear after it would have, in theory, crossed over more into the path of the shield.

I don't recall there being any element to her style of warping/phasing that involved her being disoriented immediately after using it. Otherwise warp-strike combos wouldn't have been possible within the source material (FFXV).

9. Become

After duscussing it between ourselves, both myself and DW have agreed on being willing to allow the victor of this battle to be determine by judge ruling.

If @Taboo Sho and/or @Kai are able to, they can rule on the outcome.

Otherwise, DW and I are both willing to allow @Hope to sub in as s judge.

10. Taboo Sho

Taboo Sho The Math Emperor Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

After careful deliberation, @Become has been selected as the victor of this bout. His writing was, overall, better throughout the entire bout, and his experience in arena combat shined through his ability to roll with the punches and take hits realistically. I truly believe that @Desert Warrior did not bring his A-game to this brawl. His posts seemed to lack any sort of flair and he tended to allow his character to read situations a little too well, making some counters we feel he probably shouldn't have been able to make. Become's ability to roll with these additional punches as well, on top of what was previously mentioned, is why we have declared him the winner. It was a well deserved victory.

Congratulations!

Desert Warrior likes this.
  11. RebelMurf

RebelMurf Hero of the Wild

Congrats @Become.

Thanks everyone who took part in the tournament. Hope you enjoyed.

Taboo Sho likes this.
  12. Desert Warrior

Congratulations to @Become

You certainly deserve the victory.

13. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

Congrazzles