• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

COVID-19 (Corona Virus)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Angel, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

The highly contagious disease that affects one's respiratory system. And recently, not just affecting our health but crippling our economy and halting our daily lives.

Thoughts?

Kitty likes this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I think the disease is worth taking seriously, but I also think people are needlessly panicking and making others panic. Our hometown stores are practically wiped clean from morons thinking they need a year's worth of supplies to hunker down in their bunkers. This toilet paper crisis is baffling to me.

My centers are being closed down by the governor on close-of-business Friday, so I'm about to have a (hopefully only) few weeks' vacation. Luckily our insurance covers closures caused by contagious illnesses or we'd be fucked. I hope our elected officials are thinking about the impact on the average American and planning to actually do something that helps.

Angel likes this.
  3. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

I think people misunderstand the point of practicing social distance. People hear quarantine and immediately think it's the apocalypse. Yes, this is serious. But the mass panic is only going to make things worse. There is already a shortage of medical supplies like masks and gloves because people keep hoarding them needlessly. Doctors offices and dental offices around my area have to be careful because things they need to keep their patients safe are on back order.
    The crazy thing about that is the masks aren't even going to stop you from getting the virus. It's just going to decrease your risk of infecting others if you only need to be out for an hour or less.
    The people who went out for spring break anyway blew my mind anyway. It's an easy thing for them to say it's worth the risk. They are not in danger. It's the people they come in contact with when they get home that might suffer the consequences of their choices.

This sucks and it's super inconvenient, for sure. But the best we can do right now is follow protocol. Wash your hands, dont touch your face, and use your basic compassion and common sense. The slower this thing spreads, the less stress it puts on our hospitals so those who need help can get it.

Kitty and Angel like this.
  4. Angel

Yeah, a lot of small businesses are going to feel the blunt of this. My job is safe since I work in software but I've been seeing unemployment increasing. Unfortunately, I don't know how long our economy can last with the drop in commerce if this continues too long; I suspect we'll start to see damaging effects.

On the virus itself, it's definitely something to be conscious about. People are out there dying but at the same time, people die from the flu every year in larger numbers. I think it should only be taken seriously because the news and government has definitely blown it up to be serious. Hysteria is a major concern especially when it's affecting our economy, travel, more people are occupying hospital beds, etc.

Kitty likes this.
  5. Kitty

Yeah, we're okay for a little bit, but if we're closed for too long, it's going to be hard to come back from. From talking with other center owners and directors in my area, I know a lot of them are not sure if they'd even be able to reopen. And other businesses aren't going to be able to keep going indefinitely if there's no one available to watch their employees' kids. Overall, I'm more worried about the economy than I am the actual disease.

Medical staff in my facebook feed are asking people with sewing skills to whip up homemade fabric masks that the staff can reuse. It's scary that hospitals/dr offices are already running low on such supplies when this thing has only just started. But that's why we have to stay home as much as possible and flatten the curve. If everyone would do that for a few short weeks, it'd probably be over and done with. But since some people, like those spring breakers, think that they don't need to listen to medical advice, people are just going to keep spreading it and this will keep dragging on.

I'm actually super proud of our governor here in Kentucky because he seems to be really on top of this and it seems like his efforts are having a positive effect on the spread here. It's not often that KY does something right, so it's pretty impressive to me.

6. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

This whole thing is scarying the shit out of me, at first i was chill but now....im just idk man im scared of it all and i just wish life would go back to normal

7. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

The hype, IMO, is definitely outweighing the actual severity of the disease. Between the media and the politicians, people getting sent surfing on a wave panic. What we need to keep in mind is that people are recovering from it when they do get it; not everyone, unfortunately, but still, it's not an absolute that if you catch it you'll die. China has reported no new cases recently, so that bodes well for us moving forward. I'm confidently hoping that as we move into May, it'll start waning enough for life to more or less start going normally again.

Kitty likes this.
  8. Kitty

I'm not certain that I believe China's numbers, but if true, then yeah, that might be a good sign. I think it will get worse in the US before it gets better, especially since a lot of the states are not on the same page with regards to the seriousness and some aren't really doing much to help contain the spread. I definitely don't think we'll be in a place to go back to life as usual by Easter. Now May, maybe. I think these next few weeks will be important to seeing where we're at with fighting this.

9. Angel

With China's history of suppression, I don't believe any form of news outlet coming from them. The latest debacle is the whole shipment of urns apparently 5000 cremated but an estimate of a little over 3000 confirmed deaths in China.

10. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Well Chicago is going through its own thing. I'm currently unemployed and Mayor Lori is now everyone's auntie.

11. Kitty

So are people actually injecting themselves with bleach now? Lol.

I am literally so bored right now. When an introverted homebody like me is tired of lazing around the house alone all day, yikes. I feel like this year is wasting away.

12. Become

Same. And this time, I can't blame myself for my stagnancy.

Kitty likes this.
  13. Kitty

To be fair to myself, I have been getting a lot done around the house. I've been painting the walls and doing some redecorating, and when I'm done with that, if I'm still out of work, I'll probably paint the exterior and replace the shutters and things. But it sucks not being able to do anything to shake things up. I hope it'll only be another month before we're back to work.

Plus, I'm getting way too used to sleeping in and wearing pajamas all day. I don't know what I'm going to do when I actually have somewhere I have to be and have to put on real clothes, lol.

EtherealSummoner likes this.
  14. Become

My state is looking to start a gradual reopening later this month. IDK how well that'll work out though. :/

Kitty and Nova like this.
  15. Kitty

Same with mine, but I won't be back to work until sometime in June at the earliest. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

16. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

My state is closed until June, but everyone is angry about it and going out anyway to protest.
    Either way, my job had to open last week. It's been nice to get back to normal ish. But my husband is probably bored out of his mind home alone every day.
    Hes a teacher, and his school decided to do online classes for the rest of the year.

17. Angel

No surprise that us Floridians have opened up and flocking to the beaches.

18. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

No surprise there. people just kinda thing " it'll go away" and thats just not how this one works.

Kitty likes this.
  19. Kitty

People are fucking stupid. Between them and the "my body my choice" selfish idiots whining about wearing a mask, some people can't wait to die. And I would say to just let them, except they're going to spread it to people who are actually trying to be smart and don't deserve to spend their last moments stuck on a ventilator.