• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Desert Warrior, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

This thread is basically for an all purpose talk about all the Marvel movies that have come out in recent years since they're all connected and essentially tell one gigantic story comprised of a bunch of different stories.

To list everything that is included in it (And in order):
    Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    Thor
    Captain America
    The Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Thor: The Dark World
    Captain America: Rise of the Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy

Also part of this universe but not a movie, the TV show Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2. Dion

Dion Member

I guess we can talk about the Ant-Man movie as well considering that it will be part of this Universe?

3. Desert Warrior

Of course. I was only thinking of movies that already came out. Which is why Avengers 2 isn't on that list.

But yeah, the thread is for all of the movies, even the ones that have yet to come out yet.

4. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Well, I guess to start off the talk, I think most of the movies in the MCU are pretty damn awesome. I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2 and 3 are good, but not WOW, but the rest, I've really enjoyed. Incidentally, anyone who hasn't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet, go see it, because it is just wonderful.

I haven't really been following along with what's upcoming, besides a few short articles here and there about Avengers 2, but I imagine they'll continue on being as successful as the previous movies have been.

5. Dion

Dion Member

Avengers 2, Captain America 3, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange are all movies that have been announced but not released yet.

6. Desert Warrior

The Incredible Hulk is an odd one out of the bunch. You don't really have to see it to be introduced to the character for The Avengers like you did everybody else. The only real connection it seems to have is when Banner mentioned trying to kill himself (Alternate opening to The Incredible Hulk) and the part about him always being angry (The Incredible Hulk ends with Banner deliberately transforming into the Hulk). I just don't know why they refuse to make another Hulk movie until after Avengers 3 or something.

7. Kitty

^ Yeah, I don't feel like I'm really missing anything by not seeing The Incredible Hulk, though if a new movie focusing on him were released, I'd probably make a point of seeing it. But if they're waiting until after Avengers 3 or whatever, I guess it will be a few years at the least before that happens. Although it seems kind of weird to me that a Dr. Strange movie (or even an Ant-Man movie) is planned before a Hulk one- seems like a Hulk one would be a better guarantee of profit. *shrugs*

8. Dion

Dion Member

Because The Incredible Hulk didn't make as much money in the box office as the others did. It's a dumb reason but that's what I've been told.

9. Kitty

^ But didn't that come out long before the other MCU movies? Now, with the Avengers and all related kicking major box office butt, I wouldn't think it'd be such a big risk for the studios anymore. But I suppose they feel like they've got enough upcoming right now.

10. x3pic

x3pic I'll Kill You.

The last 2 hulk movies did terrible. They have switched actors like a few times, so I think they are trying to find the right place and their right view for the hulk.

You see they try to test him with the crowd/fans in the Avengers, giving him a lot more screenplay than expected. Making him crack a few jokes, because in the past movies he never had that relation with the audience. Now, I think they are trying to see how he will do in the Avengers movies, until letting him go in his own realm.

11. Desert Warrior

There was a Hulk movie that came out many years ago, which was fairly bad. But then after the first Iron Man, they did another Hulk movie, casting Edward Norton as Bruce Banner. Personally I thought that movie was pretty good and it is that one which ties into the Avengers movie (Though I did hear once that Edward Norton refused to do anything more with Hulk since supposedly they changed a lot of the movie and he didn't like that).

Also, saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. It is good. Though with all the inter-stellar interactions going on it makes the Asgardians seem very anti-social or something with the other space-faring civilizations.

And after Guardians of the Galaxy came out, there was a picture I saw on Facebook trying to show which Infinity Gems have appeared in the movies already. It claimed that the Tesseract and Loki's staff were two different Infinity Gems, which I don't think is true. But it did show how the Asgardians were in possession of 2 Infinity Gems at the end of the second Thor movie.

12. Kitty

Yeah, I heard something along those lines, as well. But, not having seen the movie, or more than bits and pieces here and there, I can't say it bothers me. I thought Mark Ruffalo did a fine job in the Avengers, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.

Heh, I have to agree. But maybe that's how they are?

I am so bad at keeping this kind of stuff straight. Or even noticing it, some of the time.

13. Kitty

Throwing a phoenix down on this thread because I've run out of things to say about Age of Ultron, but apparently I still have a lot of MCU feels. And I also don't care about bumping anymore.

Comment is old, but I just read somewhere that Universal apparently owns the rights to any standalone Hulk movies. How this can be true while Marvel is apparently free to use the character in other movies however they want doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but it would explain why there is no upcoming Hulk movie in the future MCU lineup. Thought I'd share.

So, some things to ramble about and start the thread back up...

• How do you rank the MCU movies released so far?
    • Is anyone looking forward to Ant-Man?

---
    • My list of the MCU movies from favorite to least favorite (not counting movies I haven't seen yet):

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
      2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
      3. The Avengers
      4. Iron Man
      5. Thor
      6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
      7. Thor: The Dark World
      8. Captain America: The First Avenger
      9. Iron Man 3
      10. Iron Man 2

If anyone would like to debate with me about my list, I'll try and come up with some actual reasons. This was harder than I thought it would be, putting these in some kind of order, particularly as it's been a while since I've seen some of these.

• I'm trying to muster up some energy about Ant-Man, but I just can't find any. I don't know if I'm just starting to get a little burnt out on the superhero movies or what. I like Paul Rudd, and I think he'll do a good job in the movie, but. The trailers haven't really done it for me thus far. I'm guessing the movie will be successful regardless, since it is Marvel.

14. Jayce77

Jayce77 New Member

You didn't miss anything really. It was okay as a Hulk film goes with some good moments back in 2008, but your not missing anything great. I think Marvel Studio's is doing a smart thing having Hulk be a showcase for the Avengers' movies. Definitely makes him and the film he's in more special.

Yeah, it does seem that way too at times a little bit, but I have a feeling coming very soon we'll see some Hulk films that are connected directly to whatever the Avengers are doing. In fact Hulk is going be in Thor 3, so that'll be a hoot. Hulk also has too do with very expensive CGI monster creations, so that one thing against it's favor for a standalone film.

15. Desert Warrior

Feeling burnt out with these movies yet? Since Captain America 3 has been out for about a month now (And another active discussion thread would be nice), might as well bring it up.

To begin with, I might as well bring back a previous Hulk comment. Y'know, the one about the Hulk movie having only a few connections to the rest of the MCU. Anyways, it seems like they tacked on one more. The Secretary who was talking to the Avengers about the registration they would have to either sign or be forced to stop superheroing is the same person (Same actor, same character last name) as the general who is constantly pursuing Hulk throughout the previous Hulk movie. Admittedly they didn't directly say it, but same actor played General Ross in the Hulk movie and Secretary Ross in Civil War. So yeah, probably same character.

Anyways that aside, I felt the movie was pretty damn good. To me it seems that Captain America 2 and 3 seem to be pretty solid movies and some of the best in the MCU. And while some argue with me, I feel as though it handled the Civil War arc much better than the comics did.

Aside from Captain America 3, I thought Ant Man was a pretty good movie. Did much better than I was expecting it to.

16. Kitty

Not quite yet. I mean, there are a lot more on the horizon, and I'm not exactly looking forward to all of them, but for the most part, the already released films have been very enjoyable, so it's hard to say no to the new ones. It's not like Hollywood is putting much quality out to choose from, with all of their sequels and remakes.

I agree, Civil War was a damn good movie. I was at a slight disadvantage, because I've only seen The Winter Soldier once, when it was in theaters, so I didn't recognize the guy who blew himself up in the beginning at all, and I knew who Emily VanCamp's Sharon Carter was, but I couldn't actually remember what role she'd played in Winter Soldier, so I didn't make all of the connections I probably should have. But aside from that, and the fact that I thought Spiderman looked like shit, I think they did a really great job. I thought they kept a nice balance between using so many characters, while still keeping the focus on Cap (who is actually my favorite Avenger, even though he's not really the most exciting). I also thought the movie succeeded in making both sides sympathetic, and it was pretty cool how they wove Tony's backstory into Bucky's in the way they did.

I'm unfamiliar with the comic's take on CW, besides a little Wikipedia-ing, so I can't compare the comics and movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ant-Man, way more than I thought I was going to. I think I talked about it a little in the Last Movie You Watched thread, but what I liked about it, besides Paul Rudd, who is just great, was that it was much more of a heist type of movie, rather than a huge stakes, save the world movie. It felt like a breath of fresh air.

Desert Warrior likes this.
  17. Desert Warrior

No kidding. My mom finds it funny every time I complain about the upcoming Ghostbusters movie.

The only reason I knew who that guy was was because I happened to read something online before seeing the movie that said who he was. I think it was actually some comment on one of the trailers for the movie. And at least Sharon Carter was recognizable. To this day I still have difficulty seeing WWII Bucky and modern day Bucky being the same person. They look too different. I guess it is the hair.

I didn't think Spiderman looked too bad. His costume was a bit different, but they always are. And I think the actor did a solid job as him. Definitely got the character right.

Wannabe superheroes go after some villains in some small town. The fight goes south and one villain ends up exploding and nuking the entire town. Government decides that is the straw that broke the camel's back and decide all heroes must be registered with the government (Which also means the government would know their secret identities). The Avengers split between who is against this and who is for it. Spiderman initially supports it and Iron Man convinces him to unmask himself on live TV. Later Cap's side goes to help with some sort of factory evacuation which was a trap set by Iron Man. During the fighting Iron Man reveals he made a clone of Thor who ends up killing one of the heroes on Cap's side. This pisses off Invisible Woman who stops the fighting and lets Cap's side retreat. She and Human Torch eventually switch sides. Spiderman also switches sides and almost dies by all the villains Iron Man recruited. Iron Man also has a prison in another dimension where he is holding some of the heroes on Cap's side. Cap manages to break them free, fighting begins again, and then the fighting eventually breaks back out into the main dimension. Cap realizes they went from fighting for or against registration to simply fighting each other and then he surrenders.

There are other details there, but that was a fairly brief overview of the events.

Funnily enough, I remember watching or reading something that was talking about how the MCU seems to do best when it is more than a superhero movie. Like Captain America 2 being a superhero and spy movie. Ant Man being a superhero and heist movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
  18. Kitty

Ugh, that movie couldn't look more awful if it tried. But if you complain about how crappy it looks, you're apparently sexist. XD

I thought the actor did a great job, and I liked the casting of Aunt May as well. The costume could have been worse, I suppose. I just found it sort of creepy to look at, I guess because of the CG. To me it didn't look real.

I would agree with that. It's not enough to just have Iron Man fly around in his suit anymore. There are too many comic book/superhero movies out these days; they have to offer something more to be able to compete.

19. Kitty

Bumping because Phase Four was recently released at Comic Con and I thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

Marvel seems to be pushing hard on the Disney + shit, which I find unfortunate because I really don't need to subscribe to another streaming service. Aside from that, I'm actually pretty happy with the lineup.

I wish the Black Widow movie had come out pre-Endgame, because as much as I enjoy her character, it's a little hard to care about her backstory now that she's dead. The title Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness sounds really freaking cool, like it's some cheesy old horror movie or something, and I love the idea of Dr. Strange and the Scarlet Witch teaming up. Introducing the multiverse for real might be a good way to integrate characters like the X-Men into the MCU down the road, too. And I am so excited for Thor Love and Thunder. I know hardly anyone likes Jane Foster, but I've always been fond of her, especially as being a woman in STEM and not having any super-abilities but still being brave, and I was a little disappointed by how she was written off in Thor Ragnarok when I finally saw it, so I am so happy to see her return. I think Natalie Portman is a talented actress when she's given a good script, so I'm hoping this film delivers on that. The comics run that the movie is inspired by is, by most accounts I've seen, really well-written, and although I'm sure all the incels will be crawling out of the woodwork to whine about a female Thor, I think it can be done well and doesn't mean that there will be any less of a role for Chris Hemsworth.

I know nothing about Shang-Chi or the Ten Rings, except that I think the Ten Rings are Iron Man villains, so it's kind of weird to me to make a movie about them after Iron Man is no longer in the MCU, but I suppose it will all make sense in the end. I also know shit about the Eternals, but I'm optimistic.

The tv shows all sound fine. I really like the idea behind What If? and hope they really make the most of the opportunity to change things up. I think it's cool that most of the live action cast is willing to reprise their roles for it, too.

So anyhow, before I keep rambling on, what does everyone else think about the lineup? I would have liked to see Guardians 3 on there somewhere, but I suppose with all the foolishness with James Gunn, it's not surprising. Plus, this could always change as the time gets closer. I don't think there's anything else that I would be missing.

20. Desert Warrior

Oh boy is there a lot to pick apart with this

Yeah, not a big fan of Disney+. Them getting involved with online streaming services is not only probably gonna kill Netflix (I once heard speculation that Netflix is trying to put some kind of focus on anime to try and compete with all the streaming competitors its getting), but honestly it's gonna kill online streaming as well. Part of the appeal of having Netflix streaming was you don't have to deal with cable or any other kind of television service in your house. But with the market being flooded with streaming sites (Let's see... Netflix, Hulu, Amazon's stuff, HBO, like 3 different anime things, and now Disney+) it's basically become TV for your computer where you're put in a situation having to pay $100+ spread across 3-4 different services to get all the content you want. Which in turn will turn people back to pirating stuff cuz, seriously.

Yeah. I mean, it'll be nice to see some stuff on her, but honestly at this point any sort of prequel thing for characters or having literally anything new take place before Endgame seems less interesting. Of course, I've got no idea if they've got any plans for having upcoming movies be like Captain Marvel where it takes place years before the rest of the movies. All I really know is there's talk about essentially splitting the MCU into 2 large groups, those things that occur on Earth and those things that occur in Space. I do wonder if splitting them up like that lessens the interconnectivity the MCU has had at this point.

I remember talk about how the first Dr. Strange was supposed to have some kind of horror aspect to it and it obviously didn't, so I'm not expecting anything in that end. But with a title like that I'd expect it to be a real trip for anybody who decides to drop some acid before watching it.

I know somewhat recently (Past few years cuz years are kinda mushing together for me. 11 years of the MCU and I don't know if it feels like 11 years) there was criticism of the Thor comics having a woman become Thor while the actual Thor simply became known as Odinson. I don't think the criticism was having a woman be Thor, since there has been Lady Thor comics or something, but more criticizing having the woman called Thor when Thor is not a title and is an actual name. In that sense, it's kinda a stupid move. But apparently criticizing any of these things is only done by sexist people, so whatever. I'm certain this new Thor movie is gonna be great. I feel the movie handled the Civil War idea much better than the comics did, so even if this new Thor covers an arc that people didn't like it'll probably be handled better than it was in the comics.

I know the Ten Rings thing is supposed to be related to The Mandarin, who's obviously an Iron Man villain. I know they tried laying the groundwork for that kinda stuff with Iron Man 3 (Some deleted scene or alternate ending implied The Mandarin was an actual character and not just propaganda created by Killian), but honestly that ship has kinda sailed. Honestly this title sounds more in line with a TV series than it does a movie, and I feel like based on the title Iron Fist would be involved. Of course there's no telling what is gonna happen with all the characters in those Netflix series at this point.

I got nothing on the Eternals as well.

I'm honestly really iffy about the TV shows myself. I'm glad the movies so far haven't needed the TV shows as required reading, especially since I've only seen season 1 + some random episodes of Agents of Shield and like 3 episodes of season 1 of Daredevil. The What If? stuff is fine since logically that should have no effect on the movies, but the same cant be said for other shows.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (which my brother and I instead call The Bucky and Falcon Show) is something I'm hesitant about cuz I don't know if it would take away from any potential future movies. I mean, I know at this point we're not getting a Falcon movie, but now we could officially have a Captain America 4 which would have the added benefit of being the first movie with a legacy character filling the role of a hero instead of the original (Unless the upcoming Thor movie does that for us).

Wanda Vision is rather questionable. I know there's speculation that Shuri (I think that's her name) essentially backed up Vision's data while they were trying to remove the Mind Stone, which would mean it's possible for him to come back. But if they bring him back in a show locked to a streaming site then there's gonna be a whole lotta confused people who see him suddenly having returned in a movie with absolutely no explanation.

Loki... To start with, I've never understood the popularity of his character. Plus this show would obviously be following the alternate timeline Loki who got away with the Space Stone (So a very focused What If? kind of thing). It seems kinda weird to put an entire show's focus on a Loki who hasn't gone through all the character development the original Loki did, which would then be worse if he somehow got into the main timeline. They're already gonna deal with that idea with Gamora. Not sure if I want to be seeing that happen with Loki as well.

Hawkeye having a show confuses me greatly. At this point in the movies, it feels like he's retired and doesn't have a reason to be getting involved with things again. More than that though, and more towards my confusing, is the fact that Jeremy Renner hates working with Marvel. They run a tight ship trying to get these things all out on time and not every actor likes it. Anthony Hopkins hated working with them (Which I feel is one reason why they had Odin die in Ragnarok, cuz Anthony Hopkins didn't wanna do it anymore), Chris Evans legit almost quit acting like 4 years back because he hated working with them. So I find it hard to believe Jeremy Renner would be willing to sign up for a TV show with them. Which then leads to the possibility that the Hawkeye show is a prequel like the Black Widow movie, which has the same issue that movie has. At this point, what's the point of giving them prequels?

Movie-wise, I'm fine with the lineup. I'm surprised Guardians 3 wasn't listed there since I thought the stuff with James Gunn was all wrapped up. I suppose Thor could be standing in for Guardians 3 (At the very least since people thought Guardians 3 would be called Asgardians of the Galaxy) or it could be the next movie following Thor (Making it a direct sequel like Infinity War was to Ragnarok).

TV-wise, I'm worried that some of the shows run the risk of becoming too important for the movies.

Kitty likes this.