• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What Novel Are You Currently Reading, Version 2

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kitty, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Because reading is good for you, and because I need something new to read and steal a lot of ideas from this thread. It doesn't have to be just novels, despite the title.

----
    I have just finished reading two books that I want to comment on- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and the middle book in her trilogy, Catching Fire. I've wanted to read these for ages, but either couldn't find them at the library, or didn't have enough cash at the bookstore, or whatever. But finally I got to, and it was so worth it- these books are genius, especially the first. Can't wait for the third one.

What I am actually reading now is Eragon by Christopher Paolini, another on my list of books I've wanted to read, but never gotten around to. It's fun trying to guess from whom he "borrowed" each of his ideas. So far I've spotted George Lucas, Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey, and maybe even a little Elizabeth Haydon. I've decided that this book is Twilight for the Fantasy lover. Poorly written, but somehow interesting enough that you are compelled to finish reading it anyway. Dunno if it is compelling enough for me to read the sequels, though.

2. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Since I know you've been on TV Tropes, I suggest looking at Eragon there. I think they have a complete list of all the different ideas it is made up from.

As for myself, I've been trying to read The Picture of Dorian Grey. My English teacher got it for me as a graduation gift, and she says it is a good book. I've gotten to 36 or 37 pages into it, but it is difficult. Been uninteresting for me. But I will admit that I have read worse (Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre).

3. Kitty

I've read this before, and I enjoyed it. I'm almost always a fan of classics, including the two you mention above. XD

Gah, took your advice, and the first sentence I focused on was an unmarked spoiler (or rather, it would have been, had I not guessed it coming from a mile away). Just my luck.

4. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

lol. I appologize for that.

5. darkside

darkside New Member

At the end of school I started reading Dante's Inferno, and the Illiad. Both are very difficult but very good. The Illiad is pretty tough to go through, but I'm way into greek mythology so I can understand it good enough. And Dante just takes a lot of patience (if your me)

6. Kitty

I gave into the pain and picked up Eldest by Christopher Paolini. Eragon at least had a lot of So Bad It's Good moments- so far, 100 pages into its sequel, Eldest is mostly just boring. Also, where the heck is Murtagh, the only cool character so far in the entire series? Ugh.

7. Azula

Azula New Member

I've read the three Eragon books. They are the plot of Star Wars mixed with dragons and medieval based society. It wouldn't have bothered me that Paolini had done that as much if he hadn't gained so much money from it.

I just finished the Odyssey by Homer and am working with Of Mice and Men.

I realize this thread has been left stagnant for 4 weeks but I couldn't let one like this go to waste.

8. Ventus

Ventus Kickass Keyblader!

I'm slowly reading the third book the Alchemyst series.

9. Kitty

In general, as long as the date of the last post says something like "four weeks ago" rather than a month/day/year, you're in the clear. And you can post in a stickied thread no matter the last post date.

Yeah, it's like Star Wars mashed together with Lord of the Rings and the Dragonriders of Pern.

Well, I finished Eldest, and it got better, though I'm still pissed that Paolini completely destroyed Murtagh. I'm guessing he was jealous that Murtagh was cooler than Eragon. >_< I still want to read Brisingr, but I haven't been able to find a copy of it at the library and don't want to buy one. v_v

Right now, I'm rereading The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan, mostly because I needed something to keep me busy before Suzanne Collins' Mockinjay is released.

10. Terra

Terra (Previously RoxasXRiku)

Is that that one book in the Percy Jackson Series? Are they good? Because My little sister just finished those and she wants me to read them too.

11. Azula

Azula New Member

Let's see how Eldest is Empire Strikes back. Warning! spoilers.

Eragon goes to a Dragon Rider master. Luke goes to a jedi master.
    They both left their training early because their friends were in danger.
    They both had a "I am your(family member)" moment while losing something dear to them. In Luke's case it was his hand, for Eragon it was his sword.

When I first read Eragon I got hooked on it I wondered why. When I read eldest I knew I was close to figuring it out. In the process of reading Brisingr I realized I was reading Star Wars. It's funny how I could go from loving a series to hating it in one moment.

I was also pretty upset about the whole Murtagh changing completely. I think the explanation on how he became evil was kind of lame (Although I can't remember if the explanation was in Eldest or Brisingr so I'm not going to describe it).

My school has a copy of Brisingr in it's library. My literature teacher also has one in her room. If you're in high school then you might wanna check at yours.

12. Kitty

Yes, and yes. Sea of Monsters is probably my least favorite of the five (the plan is to reread all of them), but all of them are good reads. I'd recommend them, for sure.

I'm way out of high school, lol. The local library has one copy, that's been overdue for weeks now. >_<

As for me, I'm moving onto A Titan's Curse, by Rick Riordan. Going from my least liked to my favorite in the series. XD

13. Zero

Zero ♫♪♫Dear☺God♫♪♫

Reading Shutter's islands.

14. Kitty

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. So far, so good, though not enough Peeta. <_<

15. SeriouslyWicced

SeriouslyWicced New Member

I'm actually rereading Elizabeth Haydon, Rhapsody Trilogy. On Prophecy now. Great trilogy btw. I'm really enjoying it because it's been a few years since I last read it and just love how the story unfolds.

I read the complete Percy Jackson series as well, also liked that. I agree about Eragon, read the first then just could not get into the rest of them.

16. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

mockingjay!!!! Wheeee!!!

17. 歩 Ayumu

歩 Ayumu New Member

Reading Odd Hours by Dean Koontz. I'm not that much of a fan of thriller-esque books, but he has such a neat way of writing. He has no issues with ensuring he holds the reader's attention :3

18. Raven

Raven New Member

At the moment I am reading a rather thick novel titled "The Story and its Writer". It's essentially a collection of short stories in a single book that I'm reading for my Composition and Literature class. I've only read one so far, but the stories aren't bad.

19. Kitty

Even though it's not been that long since the last time, I'm rereading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

20. Terra

Terra (Previously RoxasXRiku)

Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. I'm only reading it because my school has a half an hour block between second and third hour where you have to read, but it's a decent book nonetheless.