• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Mega Man Series?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Become, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

So... about an hour ago... well, actually a few weeks ago, and I only just looked into it about an hour ago... I came to the realization that there hasn't been a release of any new Mega Man game in nearly a decade. This is, of course, barring remakes, compilation releases, and cameos from the title character in other titles.

This has begotten the question of me: whatever happened to the franchise? Did something happen with Capcom while I was under my rock?

Somehow, I feel like the series would have, and should have, had more life in it than that.

2. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

The creator quit Capcom. Started his own thing such as the Mighty Number 9.
    Thus, Capcom hasn't put $$$ into the series since.

3. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

*remembers the loss of X&Zero* *sobs* ;-;

4. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Really? No hype for this:

5. Become

THIS, I think, has made my day.

6. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

lol I'm surprised no one was raving. I always loved the X, Zero and ZX series as a kid but a return of the lil blue dude is great. :D Gonna get it if I can.

7. Become

It looks cool. I kind of wish that they had made more use of the graphic capacity of the PS4 to create something more elaborate than another side-scrolling game though. I reckon they did it to maintain the spirit of the more traditional Mega Man franchise; maybe they'll take it in that direction later on, if this release is something intended to reinvigorate the series.

8. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I could see them doing so for another spin off. Megaman spin off series always tend to do well.
    I'm surprised they didn't choose to reboot.

9. Become

Maybe they figured people would have already invested in the re-releases and compilations that have been coming out for other systems? I know the DS has gotten remakes of s lot of the classic games.

I definitely liked the 'spin-offs.' If we can really call them spin-offs. The different series of Mega Man are supposedly all connected through a single timeline... I think it's supposed to go something like: Mega Man-Mega Man X-Mega Man Zero-Mega Man ZX-Mega Man Legends. Command Mission, I believe, is somewhere within the X timeframe, and the only real spin-off to the series is Battle Network.

10. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

All the series are in a singular timeline but there's no clear ending point. X is a century after Classic, Zero a century or two after X, ZX around two after Zero and Legends is eons after ZX.

I call them spin offs since Classic never truly ended making it hard to view them as full sequels. X also never had a big final conclusion. Zero ended in a beautiful way (I cried) and ZX was left with a cliffhanger secret ending.

11. Become

X HAD a conclusion UNTIL they went and made an X7. The Mega Man Zero series' beginning took place 100 years after X6, in which Zero had been put into hibernation (for reasons I don't entirely remember). At the time of Mega Man Zero's release, MMX6 was a conclusive, if not totally climactic, ending for that leg of the franchise.

12. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Kinda but X was meant to end at X5 until capcom went behind a back or two and made X6. Granted even continuing at all was kinda stretching it but at least X6 gave us a MMZ future.
    Zero went into hibernation so they could examine the maverick virus. Zero was the original carrier, or at least the lab he was found in was the origin point. Meaning Willy likely had it built into or around Zero.

A good theory I saw once was that Zero turned normal because his base settings were to be a typical evil robot master of Willy and the virus warped those settings. Not sure how true it is but it'd make a cool twist. Zero is later proven to be immune to the virus I think thus the desire to study it through him.

It works. Studying zero leads to cyber elves which wipe out Sigma (and the virus) for good but leads to Omega,Vile and other such things.

13. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

lets stop messing about and just bring back megaman X games. everythign else is trash.

14. Rogue

Rogue Member

whoa hey there man, classic Mega Man, Battle Network, and the Zero games were awesome. Star Force was eh and its been so long since I've played Legends 1 or 2...but I do agree to a point, the X series is my favorite. X9 should be the next game.

15. Become

While I'll say that the X series was my favorite, let's not go throwing everything else to the side. The original Mega Man games were great.

Personally, I feel that the Legends series had good lore and potential, and was a commendable step out of the box for a franchise that primarily put out side scrollers.

16. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

You don't know life.

Battle Network is King!

17. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I'd rather not if that means more entries in it. I felt X peaked after 5.

Become likes this.
  18. Become

Am I the only one that wishes they had followed through on Mega Man Legends 3?

19. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

Far from it. Their treatment of fans and Legends 3 during that incident is one of the huge things that hurt Capcoms reputation for a while.

20. Become

I'm definitely in the camp of saying they should finally give us that title.

I need to get my hands on a copy of MML2. I have Legends, and played it on my PS2; I even unlocked the alternative difficulty levels in it.